996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:03 PM
JesusFast is a jewel in the roughJesusFast is a jewel in the roughJesusFast is a jewel in the rough
Need help!

alright
The time has come for me to buy my first Porsche. I am looking at two right now and i just need some guidance.

The first one:
the car belongs to my boss.

45,000 miles
yellow
black leather
nav
Carbon fiber dash kit
Porsche roll cage
------------------------
also has
(rims)
(springs)----don't know what they are.
(headers)
and an APR chip

some pics

he hasn't givin me a price yet, trying to see what it's worth.
(hes thinking 45-50 for it)

the second one.

gray on gray

52k miles

and there asking 39,995

Please let me know what you think about both cars
and chime in on what you think there worth.

Thanks everyone!

Old 04-08-2010, 12:11 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
So how long have you been shopping? I ask because it takes a shopper a while (say a dozen or so cars) to become educated as to what to look for, what they want...

First, the yellow one has a roll bar, not a 'cage'- near as I can see. "Headers" are worthless. Changing springs (perhaps to lower the ride) without changing perch heights and shocks is ill-advised.

GET A PPI from a qualified Porsche mechanic, with Turbo experience. Do research on what you should ask for in a PPI.

You will find that price is all over the place- the spread in price for, say a 2002, between 10k miles and perfect condition to 60k miles, rough condition, and no history can be $15k. or more) The spread!!

What exactly are YOU looking for?

Old 04-08-2010, 04:49 AM
Mpsuk is infamous around these parts
Do you like yellow or grey?

Old 04-08-2010, 06:32 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I would not buy a car - any car - from my boss.

Last edited by deckman; 04-08-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:56 AM
NVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to behold
Gray interior-Typically very undesirable. As opposed to previous poster, I wouldn't mind buying from boss. You know the person, you know the car. He won't want you whining to him about future problems. Although, Im thinking $45k should be the upper limit on that car.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:52 AM
JesusFast is a jewel in the roughJesusFast is a jewel in the roughJesusFast is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ard

First, the yellow one has a roll bar, not a 'cage'
i come from the import world where anything more then one bar is a cage.

as far as what i'm looking for..... 50-60,000 miles, price 38-45ish.

--------------------------------------------------------

yellow or gray? well my first pick wouldn't be yellow but after seeing a lot of really nice ones on the site, I really don't mind.

yeah buying from my boss has its ups and downs.

the plus is that i work at a shop that works on Porsche's

but i rather go with the gray one and build my own car....

the real questions is what are both of these cars worth?

Old 04-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JesusFast
yeah buying from my boss has its ups and downs.
the plus is that i work at a shop that works on Porsche's
that is a pretty BIG up. i assume your boss works there too? that most likely means his car is well maintained. BIG PLUS. other car looked like it was at a small dealership, those mainly get their cars from auctions.

with a porsche i would much rather buy one that you know the most about. as mnetioned earlier the grey interior isnt a huge value adder either where your bosses car is a desireable combo and you can still mod it just like the grey one.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 04-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by prodigymb
that is a pretty BIG up. i assume your boss works there too? that most likely means his car is well maintained. BIG PLUS. other car looked like it was at a small dealership, those mainly get their cars from auctions.

with a porsche i would much rather buy one that you know the most about. as mnetioned earlier the grey interior isnt a huge value adder either where your bosses car is a desireable combo and you can still mod it just like the grey one.

Are you trying to talk me into getting the yellow one, so we can be yellow Porsche friends???

I think the yellow would be my best bet, but I'm not sure whats its worth and what to offer him. He's very indecisive, and he's not giving me a price. so i kinda need to know what to offer him.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:20 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Your boss wants too much money for that car, even at $45K. Having said that, I don't see much upside in buying the car from your boss. If you buy the car for a fair value, he's going to feel like it was too cheap and you owe him one. Even if he doesn't, if anything breaks on the car, there could be bad blood between you two even if none is intended. It seems like added drama to me. Also, putting springs on the car without shocks could cause issues. Buying a car that wasn't tuned properly is much worse than buying a stock car and paying full price to do it yourself.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JesusFast
Are you trying to talk me into getting the yellow one, so we can be yellow Porsche friends???

I think the yellow would be my best bet, but I'm not sure whats its worth and what to offer him. He's very indecisive, and he's not giving me a price. so i kinda need to know what to offer him.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
hehe for sure. the yellow is basically the same color combo i have (yellow, black sports leather seats, carbon interior)

i actually like the grey ALOT too, but a Porsche is really one of the few cars that could pull off a bright color. if yellow is just not your thing and you don't see yourself in it then pass on it.

one of the big reasons i got into my car was the fact that it has been my good friends car for the past 7 years and had 17.8k miles on it. i knew the history and i was comfortable with paying that type of money for a 9 year old car.

my E55 i bought without knowing much about it and it had a lot of hidden issues that i needed to adress practically immediately after purchasing it - needless to say i was not to happy about that. spending couple grand right away is def not the way i like to start a "relationship" with a car lol.

Auction/Wholesale price for your bosses car is about 40-42k. So 42-44k is probably what you should expect to pay if it is in good condition. Honestly when buying a car like this over paying a couple grand for the right car shouldn't worry you, because at the end value is what it's worth to you.

here is what i just got into
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...a-strosek.html

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.