996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need new tires , what to go with ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:17 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
hey man
listen to my words, as i've gone through 5 sets of tires in the 2 years ive owned my car....

if you're gonna do a street tire, consider a continental or michelin

the japanese brands run narrow...
i had toyo t1-r's and they looked like ****... way too narrow-looking and the sidewall was thin...

also, they didnt feel as responsive as my michelins or contintals

currently, i decided to completely switch it up and try a 235/305 set up, and its done wonders with the handling.... theres actually enough sidewall in the rear for the car to communicate with the driver
also, it increases your top speed due to gearing... (its over 1" taller than the oem 295 30 18)

Old 05-26-2010, 10:45 PM
M Baker is on a distinguished road
Arrow

If you are doing high speed runs, and never snow or frost, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.

Consider that each corner of the car has only inches of contact on the road at 180MPH (or any speed). The most important wear and tear safety item on a car are the tires. It should be the one thing where price is not part of the evaluation, even for a 20 year old Civic.

That being said, when you do buy tires, be sure to check the date code on the sidewall before buying. You do not want a tire more than 4 years old because it will be old and hard before you are finished with it unless you go through a set of tires each year.

Tire Rack does not guarantee a date code, they can guess based on what shipped out most recently, but they warn you it can be a year or two older than their records. Which is what happened to me this month with my PS2 order. I had them check their warehouses for most recent tire dates and they told me the last order to ship in my size PS2 was built 0409 from a warehouse that was in Louisiana and would cost more to ship (longer distance). However, what I got was 3607 - more than a year and a half older than what I expected. They last 13k miles on my M5, so I will go through them before they are old.

Date code: 04 = 4th week, 09 = year 2009 (January 2009)
3607 = September 2007

Old 05-26-2010, 11:52 PM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
I went 180mph on a e55 on the dyno this weekend with the same tires, they look great still. It appears there was an issue with your Nittos on the dyno.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:29 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M Baker
I
Tire Rack does not guarantee a date code, t......

more than a year and a half older than what I expected.

That's a concern.... did you speak to Damon at Tirerack and this still happened???

Some cars I wouldn't care, some I do...

A

Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 AM
joyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura aboutjoyride has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ColoradoSilver
I've heard great things about he INVOs, so I think you'd be happy there.

I'm running Kumho XS 315s in the rear and have to say that the grip is quite a bit higher than I had expected. Well priced too. Just something to think about.
+1 I'm enjoying my Kumho XS. Gobs of grip for a street tire.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Nick,

Yes, the NT01'a are an R comp, don't take them in the rain. They will dead hook from a 40 punch w/ 700 rwhp no problem and handle like the road course tire that they are.

They are much better and less expensive the the Michelin sport cups.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
hey man
listen to my words, as i've gone through 5 sets of tires in the 2 years ive owned my car....

if you're gonna do a street tire, consider a continental or michelin

the japanese brands run narrow...
i had toyo t1-r's and they looked like ****... way too narrow-looking and the sidewall was thin...

also, they didnt feel as responsive as my michelins or contintals

currently, i decided to completely switch it up and try a 235/305 set up, and its done wonders with the handling.... theres actually enough sidewall in the rear for the car to communicate with the driver
also, it increases your top speed due to gearing... (its over 1" taller than the oem 295 30 18)
Steve,

I have T1R's on two sets of wheels right now and I didn't think they ran narrow at all. What sizes were you running? I was runing 235/35 and 315/15.

Nick, I have Invo's on my ADV1s and they look great and work well (so far... I've only driven about 200-300 miles on them). they have a nice rounded sidewall that I like.

Edwin

Old 05-27-2010, 08:17 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. I have confidence in them at high speeds. On the rear they last around 5000 miles. My fronts are still from when the car came from the factory. I do not track my car but you have seen the videos of what I use her for.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:22 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
[quote=robertp;2854554]Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. I have confidence in them at high speeds.quote]

2nd...

Old 05-27-2010, 10:04 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
great info guys , keep it comming.

edwin i saw that you have the invos.thats the tire i was originaly leaning towards but now my mind is allover the place.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:40 AM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
I think it's been mentioned... but have a look at some of the rviews for the Hankook Ventus V12 evo. They seem to be well liked and hold up better in the wet and dry traction than the INVO. I think they also cost less.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:27 AM
M Baker is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ard
That's a concern.... did you speak to Damon at Tirerack and this still happened??? A
I spoke with Hunter, ext 744. He said no guarantees of getting a newer date, but the last order was 4th week of 2009, so I ordered from that warehouse, However I got the 36th week of 2007. So yes, while I will go through the tire before it gets old I was very disappointed with Tire Rack that it could be so far off, and that I paid extra to get from a different warehouse that supposedly was shipping oldest first (they had just shipped 0409), so I should have gotten 0409 or newer!

Old 05-27-2010, 06:31 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M Baker
If you are doing high speed runs, and never snow or frost, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.

Consider that each corner of the car has only inches of contact on the road at 180MPH (or any speed). The most important wear and tear safety item on a car are the tires. It should be the one thing where price is not part of the evaluation, even for a 20 year old Civic.

That being said, when you do buy tires, be sure to check the date code on the sidewall before buying. You do not want a tire more than 4 years old because it will be old and hard before you are finished with it unless you go through a set of tires each year.

Tire Rack does not guarantee a date code, they can guess based on what shipped out most recently, but they warn you it can be a year or two older than their records. Which is what happened to me this month with my PS2 order. I had them check their warehouses for most recent tire dates and they told me the last order to ship in my size PS2 was built 0409 from a warehouse that was in Louisiana and would cost more to ship (longer distance). However, what I got was 3607 - more than a year and a half older than what I expected. They last 13k miles on my M5, so I will go through them before they are old.

Date code: 04 = 4th week, 09 = year 2009 (January 2009)
3607 = September 2007
thanks i will keep this in mind. thanks for the dates also.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:07 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
I'm a huge fan of the Bridgestone RE11, but since they don't make them in a wide 18"...

I've been REALLY happy with my Sumitomo HTR-Z IIIs. They grip really well- well beyond my expectations. Can't beat the price either.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:01 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
INVOS Everyone that I spoke with that has them ..loves them

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need new tires , what to go with ?