996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Quick ECU Flash question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:25 PM
silverlight is infamous around these parts
Quick ECU Flash question...

Will a dead battery (for a week) risk resetting the ECU and losing the flash? could be a dumb quesiton. I thought I read on the forum (but can't find it) that someone lost a flash this way (or perhaps the dealer reset it). I have also read that with others, they unplug the battery for 5 min's after an exhaust / headers upgrade to reset the "learning" of the flash? I have an FVD flash that was recently installed (before the battery went dead). Also having exhuast/headers (Maxflo) being installed this week and was curious if I should do the battery disconnect trick.

My first p-car, so bear with me getting some upgrades done this first couple weeks of ownership (FVD flash, diverters, maxflo exhaust/headers, 19" rims/tires, 997 SSK shifter, and a couple minor cosmetic touches... probably will do intake as well).

Thanks!

Last edited by silverlight; 06-26-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Flash should not reset to stock it will keep the program FVD gave you.

Enjoy!

Old 06-27-2010, 01:02 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
The flash should not disappear. I have had a battery off the car for weeks-months at a time and it started back with the tune still being there. The car will relearn somethings like Throttle Body position and other things. The tune will be there still unless the Dealer Flashes it back to stock.

My battery went dead and did not effect both my DME (which still contains my original EPL Mafless tune and idle settings, etc..) and then my HKS setup and nothing was changed at all.

So basically you should be safe!

Hope this helps!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:54 AM
silverlight is infamous around these parts
Great, thank you! Just what I was hoping to hear

Old 06-27-2010, 10:28 AM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Might sound stupid, but I lost a basic mirror folding program when my battery died in the Aston. Not losing an ECU upgrade in the case of battery problems is awesome!!! Now what if the flash is lost, can you guys use the same CD to reflash it or it's for a ONE time use only?

Old 06-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SonicKrack
Might sound stupid, but I lost a basic mirror folding program when my battery died in the Aston. Not losing an ECU upgrade in the case of battery problems is awesome!!! Now what if the flash is lost, can you guys use the same CD to reflash it or it's for a ONE time use only?
your not reflashing the functions of the car that are no performance related.. so everything should stay the same....

the car will feel slower first few times after a battery hard reset.... it will learn and adjust to your driving..

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-27-2010, 01:50 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Amazing how a change in programing can bring out so many extra horses... I am new to tt-s.