996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 03:12 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
What is the price to upgrade them? And anybody knows if europe can it be done?

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2010, 06:17 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
And anybody knows if europe can it be done
I'm afraid not....and anyway I would prefer to have it done by someone that's done it several times....
In europe every tuner seems to stick with kkk wheels or at least garrets.
You can't beat Americans for this kind of things my friend...

A UPS shipment should be somewhere near 200USD. Or you can spend your holidays in the US and bring the turbos back with you..

Old 07-06-2010, 08:09 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by emadelta86
I'm afraid not....and anyway I would prefer to have it done by someone that's done it several times....
In europe every tuner seems to stick with kkk wheels or at least garrets.
You can't beat Americans for this kind of things my friend...

A UPS shipment should be somewhere near 200USD. Or you can spend your holidays in the US and bring the turbos back with you..
I wish to do that but i need to get the visa for us!

i know a little bit about the shipping costs... i need more inquires about this

Old 07-06-2010, 08:43 AM
i have seen on blouch the prices and to spend 1000euro for the 18g's modification is too much, if i will buy the turbos i will let them like they are.

thank you very much for your help guys, i love this place!!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
I have K24s and I like them a lot. However if I started with K16s I would skip the K24 and just go to a Alpha28 setup. Cost of getting K24s in addition the cost of turning them into K24/18G hybrids is around the same as A28s. A28s will give you better spooler and more top end potential, not to mention a more efficient unit.

I already have K24s on the other hand so most likely my next step will be an 18g+injectors setup, just because it is cost effective.

My car made 508-516rwhp on a dynojet on K24s, 1.1bar, 93 octane, FVD tune, cargraphic exhaust, everything else stock.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 AM
thanks prodigymb!

If the guy whats how much i can offer for the turbos i will take them, if not i will stay with my k16 and current setup.

you can squeeze more power from the k24 or you don't want to invest in them anymore?

Old 07-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by prodigymb
I have K24s and I like them a lot. However if I started with K16s I would skip the K24 and just go to a Alpha28 setup. Cost of getting K24s in addition the cost of turning them into K24/18G hybrids is around the same as A28s. A28s will give you better spooler and more top end potential, not to mention a more efficient unit.

I already have K24s on the other hand so most likely my next step will be an 18g+injectors setup, just because it is cost effective.

My car made 508-516rwhp on a dynojet on K24s, 1.1bar, 93 octane, FVD tune, cargraphic exhaust, everything else stock.
The A28s are at least $1000 more. our 18gs with our tuning on pump at 1.1 bar made 540rwhp at 1.1 bar with our 3" exhaust.
A28s are good... but there has been enough data showing that some18gs setups outrun A28s on the street as well as beat the mph at the strip...
In my opinion, they are closer in performance then most think... but I have nothing negative to say about them as they stand... again this is just my opinion...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by boca996tt
without sounding stupid here.. what is clipped turbines?
Which will make the car pulls HARDER on top-end!!

Old 07-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
without sounding stupid here.. what is clipped turbines?
Hi ,
Over here in the UK we call it Cut Backs.
Its where you machine the tips of the turbines backwards at about 3 degrees. Its the part of the turbine that is most susceptible to tip failure due to its thinness and heat. It prolongs the life of the turbo, reduces inertia a little and will allow spool up quicker.
But mainly its to prolong the life of the turbo.
Hope thats helps.
Frank

Old 07-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by alex55
thanks prodigymb!

If the guy whats how much i can offer for the turbos i will take them, if not i will stay with my k16 and current setup.

you can squeeze more power from the k24 or you don't want to invest in them anymore?
You have PM!!

Old 07-06-2010, 01:51 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
what is clipped turbines?
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob.../acronyms.html

Clipped Turbine Wheel

When an angle is machined on the turbine wheel exducer (outlet side), the wheel is said to be "clipped". Clipping causes a minor increase in the wheel's flow capability; however, it dramatically lowers the turbo efficiency. This reduction in efficiency causes the turbo to come up on boost at a later engine speed (ex. increased turbo lag). High performance applications should never use a clipped turbine wheel. All Garrett GT turbos use modern unclipped turbine wheels.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:05 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
Tym switzer has built some quick TIP cars, maybe ask him about his turbo upgrades..

Old 07-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob.../acronyms.html

Clipped Turbine Wheel

When an angle is machined on the turbine wheel exducer (outlet side), the wheel is said to be "clipped". Clipping causes a minor increase in the wheel's flow capability; however, it dramatically lowers the turbo efficiency. This reduction in efficiency causes the turbo to come up on boost at a later engine speed (ex. increased turbo lag). High performance applications should never use a clipped turbine wheel. All Garrett GT turbos use modern unclipped turbine wheels.
Hi Pete, You must tell me why I have been doing it wrong for the last 15 years. I think 500 bhp out of a 2 ltr Cosworth on Garret T4 with 3 deg cutbacks running ALS is very good for such a flawed thing. Eh.... Without the 3deg cutbacks the ALS would eat the turbo much much quicker.
Frank

ps
I bet all the rest of the performance fraternity who have had there turbos cut back must be gutted at hearing their ALL wrong.

ps ps.

Tell us your experience of cutbacks. How have you found them when having it done. What power losses did you experience. What car did you have it done on. Please tell us all.

ps ps ps
I'm sure Garrett dont use cutbacks but they dont pick up the bill when they throw a turbo either.
Now if Garrett are now producing new turbine wheels that have been designed to withstand the excessive extremes of "Super Modded Cars" I will hold up my hand ans say sorry. But until then, I will have any turbo of mine that is outside the Garrett operational envelope Cut back by 3 degrees.

Sorry for the number of ps's . But each time I read you post my Blood Boiled. Its so Correctly incorrect. its like saying my hard work and trophies I have for the motor sport I have done was a waste of time. I know thats not what you are saying,but sometimes in life the textbook says one thing but life experience will say another.
Thanks,
Frank.

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 07-06-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: I was lost for words so had to keep adding more
Old 07-06-2010, 02:38 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Don't shoot the messenger if you don't like the message...

PS. It's a direct quote from Garrett, ask them.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Don't shoot the messenger if you don't like the message...
Pete, just added onto my last as you posted. Ships in the night and all that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24