996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Heavy Clutch pedal after sitting for a long time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 PM
X98boardwell is on a distinguished road
Need some help

Just purchased an 04 996 TT Cab with 7,700 miles on it. When I went to purchase it there was fluid leaking from that little resivoir in the front drivers side area. I just figured it was overflowed. Is this an accumulator issue or a slave cylinder issue? What/where do I purchase and are there any good write-ups on the subject for doing it myself?

Thanks for the help,
Bryan

Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Forgot to mention

My clutch is very hard (seems crunchy at times) before car starts. Sorry I did not include that in the first post.

Thanks for the help. I plan on doing this myself.

Bryan

Old 09-08-2010, 10:07 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Slave for sure.
Replace the accumulator while you're down there...

Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks

Based on my searches I came up with this one and few more that pointed in that direction.

1) I read that you should not purchase a Slave that was made early than 2008. How do I know if the one I puchase will be newer and where is the best place to purchase (dealership maybe.. so I can check date) where I know they will be quality parts and I can be confident I am getting the newer unit? On a side note, I do not intend on doing GT2 conversion... just want to fix the problem with new updated parts.

2) Lastly, is there any good mechanic books to guide me through the process or will I have to find a thread with detailed pics and directions?

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 09-09-2010, 07:45 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by X98boardwell
Based on my searches I came up with this one and few more that pointed in that direction.

1) I read that you should not purchase a Slave that was made early than 2008. How do I know if the one I puchase will be newer and where is the best place to purchase (dealership maybe.. so I can check date) where I know they will be quality parts and I can be confident I am getting the newer unit? On a side note, I do not intend on doing GT2 conversion... just want to fix the problem with new updated parts.

2) Lastly, is there any good mechanic books to guide me through the process or will I have to find a thread with detailed pics and directions?

Thanks,
Bryan

I did some search about the slave update and I did not found any evidence of that fact. I got in my garage the original slave and a new one and every single numbers on it are the same. Normally when there is an update the number change.... For the complete installation you will found something here http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...r-replacement/

Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 AM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Looks like the clutch question has been answered. Regarding the question about the knocking when you start your car, there is an anti-drainback valve to stop the oil from draining out of the engine. I am not certain where it is (I think passenger side top), or exactly what it is called, but I hope someone else will chime in and let you know.

What I do is remove the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine over a few times (don't hold it for too long) to get the oil flowing around the motor. Then i put the fuse in and start the car...no knocking. I think the fuse is #C4 in the drivers side footwell box. I think it is a 30 amp (yellow).

Old 09-09-2010, 09:04 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Looks like the clutch question has been answered. Regarding the question about the knocking when you start your car, there is an anti-drainback valve to stop the oil from draining out of the engine. I am not certain where it is (I think passenger side top), or exactly what it is called, but I hope someone else will chime in and let you know.

What I do is remove the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine over a few times (don't hold it for too long) to get the oil flowing around the motor. Then i put the fuse in and start the car...no knocking. I think the fuse is #C4 in the drivers side footwell box. I think it is a 30 amp (yellow).

Agree with D_Nyholm. I did replace this valve in the bottom of the oil reservoir (TSB 1728) without any success still got this brief clatter on start. The fuse C4 removal is the way to go....My next step I will try another oil grade....

For more info and pictures see Rennlist / turbo / 996 turbo , subject "Brief clatter at start up ?" http://forums.rennlist.com/

Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Very helpful

That is a good write up. How is the accumulator changed during this process.. First or second? Also, is there a write up for that.

Is was great when he says... "once the car is jacked".. Too funny.

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
See if there's hydraulic fluid coming out of the resevoir in the front. It's quite common for the clutch slave cylinder to go out...
I noticed yesterday some fluid leaking on driver side of the battery and even some coming up through the plastic cover. Time for GT2 conversion?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
I noticed yesterday some fluid leaking on driver side of the battery and even some coming up through the plastic cover. Time for GT2 conversion?
Slave got an internal leak. The power steering fluid is migrating into the clutch reservoir through the slave. I was not able to replace the slave as soon this failure happen so for more than a month I was transferring the fluid from the overfilled clutch reservoir to the steering pump reservoir with a 50cc seringue. Of course the slave is less expensive but this problem can happen again and the GT2 mod seems the way to eliminate this problem completely....

Old 09-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by X98boardwell
That is a good write up. How is the accumulator changed during this process.. First or second? Also, is there a write up for that.

Is was great when he says... "once the car is jacked".. Too funny.

Thanks,
Bryan
The accumulator is located on the slave cylinder....

Accumulator replacement : http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...r-replacement/

Old 09-09-2010, 12:35 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm replacing the accumulator right now (well, I will continue tomorrow..), and it's tight up there!!! And that damn pentosin is a PITA!

Old 09-09-2010, 12:38 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpflip
Slave got an internal leak. The power steering fluid is migrating into the clutch reservoir through the slave. I was not able to replace the slave as soon this failure happen so for more than a month I was transferring the fluid from the overfilled clutch reservoir to the steering pump reservoir with a 50cc seringue. Of course the slave is less expensive but this problem can happen again and the GT2 mod seems the way to eliminate this problem completely....
GT2 conversion it is.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks

I appreciate the help. Ordered the parts today from Suncoast and they should arrive middle next week. Now its time to try and shrink my hands over the weekend so I can get them up there.

Bryan

Old 06-14-2011, 07:50 AM
FineProperty is on a distinguished road
Hi Bryan,
This was nearly a year ago, but can you tell us how easily, or not, the work went? Heavy morning clutch after a fun day at the track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heavy Clutch pedal after sitting for a long time