996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Heavy Clutch pedal after sitting for a long time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Heavy Clutch pedal after sitting for a long time

I drove my turbo the other day after not driving it for a couple weeks (I've been out of town). I sat down in the car to start it up and the clutch pedal felt pretty heavy. As soon as the car started up the clutch loosened right up and went back to normal and loose. Is that normal if the car has sat for a long time. I've never felt it heavy before and it seems fine every time I get in to drive every few days.

I also noticed that the engine knocked for the first second after startup. It has done that a few times before but not consistently. It has only a happened right at first start up when the engine is cold and lasts a second at most. Is this an issue or normal. Any info would be appreciated.

Also my car is totally stock if that helps at all too.

Eric

Old 07-09-2010, 03:26 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
See if there's hydraulic fluid coming out of the resevoir in the front. It's quite common for the clutch slave cylinder to go out...

Old 07-09-2010, 04:36 AM
BlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to beholdBlueFVD-575 is a splendid one to behold
Clutch Accumulator...common issue, not too expensive to fix. My clutch pedal went from stiff to rock hard at startup, better once driving. New accumulator - all better.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:25 AM
asgor is on a distinguished road
... or you can leave it like that until about the end of time and rest almost assured that it will continue to work just fine once the car is started. Mine's been like that for at least 15k miles now... no leaks, no overflow...

Old 07-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
See if there's hydraulic fluid coming out of the resevoir in the front. It's quite common for the clutch slave cylinder to go out...
my car started having the fluid come out from the reservoir in the front. does this indicate a bad slave or accumulator?

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 07-09-2010, 08:01 AM
pinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by prodigymb
my car started having the fluid come out from the reservoir in the front. does this indicate a bad slave or accumulator?
slave internally bypassing so, slave

Old 07-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
I'll open up the compartment in the trunk and check for recent leaks. There was no issue when I had it inspected at the time i bought the car a couple months ago. I haven't noticed any fluid leaks on the floor of the garage either. When I bought the car it came with all service records, one of which was for replacement of the Slave and accumulator about 20K miles ago so seems strange that it would go bad again this quickly.

Eric

Old 07-09-2010, 11:49 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Heavy morning pedal = Accumulator.
Fluid intermix = Slave.

I've got a clutch and GT2 kit sitting on my workbench... Clutch slips a little, and when I replace it, I'll put in the GT2 kit as everything will be easier to deal with.
If my slave or accumulator go bad again, that too will get me "on it".

Old 07-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by jjbravo
Heavy morning pedal = Accumulator.
Fluid intermix = Slave.

I've got a clutch and GT2 kit sitting on my workbench... Clutch slips a little, and when I replace it, I'll put in the GT2 kit as everything will be easier to deal with.
If my slave or accumulator go bad again, that too will get me "on it".
What makes the GT2 kit a lot better than stock? Is it expensive to buy and install?

Old 07-09-2010, 11:36 PM
TekNiC3 will become famous soon enoughTekNiC3 will become famous soon enough
Samething started happening on my car as well.

Luckily I have the CPO warranty so have a visit with Carlsen next Tuesday.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:29 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TekNiC3
Samething started happening on my car as well.

Luckily I have the CPO warranty so have a visit with Carlsen next Tuesday.
Good thing... To be honest we like to rid the car of the hydraulic assist set up. It's not a great design and doomed to failure over and over

Old 07-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Good thing... To be honest we like to rid the car of the hydraulic assist set up. It's not a great design and doomed to failure over and over
Looks like I should probably go for the GT2 conversion if it is in fact the accumulator that is bad again. PM me your price for the conversion kit and a price for you guys to install. I'm pretty mechanically inclined although not sure I want to spend a whole day installing myself. I'm local so getting to Fremont is not an issue

Old 07-10-2010, 02:45 PM
TekNiC3 will become famous soon enoughTekNiC3 will become famous soon enough
Ideally I would go for the GT2 setup. But I don't think the CPO warranty would pay for this swap.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:30 PM
drove the car today for the first time since the heavy clutch pedal on tuesday and the clutch pedal was light as a feather. Maybe I'll get some more life out of the accumulator after all. I think I'll do the GT2 conversion when it does go out.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Hedonistic is on a distinguished road
Are the Turbos the only ones with this accumulator/slave design?

I had a Boxster before and I was under the impression the clutch boost was link to the brake booster. Is the GT2 design similar to that of the Boxster?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heavy Clutch pedal after sitting for a long time