6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   The BEST brake bleeding solution (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/216709-best-brake-bleeding-solution.html)

ard 11-29-2010 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by skandalis447 (Post 3053308)
in order to have a correct bleeding,PIWIS is needed...It is written in service manual...It opens a bleed valve from psm unit and let it bleed from trapped air...(through front left or right caliper,cant recall...)

I'm planning on a flush and fluid change next week, and came to discover the Durametric Version 6 should be able to open the ABS/PSM to allow you to flush it completely...just fyi.

I'll use a motive pressure source to do it. Did the M5 this weekend and it was duck soup. :)

A

Musclehedz101 01-15-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by FAST FWD (Post 2904248)
Over the years, I've tried just about everything for brake bleeding, including: someone in the car pumping the pedal, speed bleeder check valves, Motive pressurized bleeder, vacuum pump, ... You name it, I've tried it.

My indie recommended that I try a pressure system, and he loaned me his to give it a try. I have to say that it feels almost like cheating - it's so easy. It's a pressure tight cap that screws onto the brake fluid reservoir, that you then hook up to an air compressor. Set the regulator for 20 psi. (See photo 1.) Then just go wheel-to-wheel and crack open the bleed screws 1/2 turn and collect as much fluid as you like. (See photo 2.) Retighten the bleeder and you're done. I did the two rears first, then released the pressure and refilled the reservoir before doing the fronts. I think that I'll make a connector line so that I can take the air pressure off a tire so I can do it at the track.

It's made by Power Probe, and the one that fits our cars is BA05 (that's a zero). It's also not very expensive. I'm not posting the vendor or the price here to avoid any conflicts with the board policy.

Jon

First, great post, thank you for sharing!

Question, you said "...I think that I'll make a connector line so that I can take the air pressure off a tire so I can do it at the track."

How would you "control/regulate" the air pressure coming off a tire, as most tires are inflated well over 20psi (37-44psi avg)? Are you first releasing extra air pressure in tire down to 20psi and checking with gauge?:confused:

I don't own a compressor and looking for alt means (short of buying a Motive) to provide 20psi of air pressure to reservoir (per you procedure).

Thoughts?

FAST FWD 01-15-2011 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Musclehedz101 (Post 3095247)

Question, you said "...I think that I'll make a connector line so that I can take the air pressure off a tire so I can do it at the track."

How would you "control/regulate" the air pressure coming off a tire, as most tires are inflated well over 20psi (37-44psi avg)? Are you first releasing extra air pressure in tire down to 20psi and checking with gauge?:confused:

I don't own a compressor and looking for alt means (short of buying a Motive) to provide 20psi of air pressure to reservoir (per you procedure).

Thoughts?

Good point. You could drop the tire pressure for the bleed, and then run it back up afterwards, or you could add a pressure regulator between the tire and reservoir. That is probably the best solution. I have a pressure regulator on the compressor in my garage, and that is what I do there. I haven't actually made this contraption, though.

Jon

bbywu 03-20-2011 02:42 PM

I had to replace my Motive bleeder kit recently, and ordered the Black Label kit.

I wanted to bring this thread back just to let people know, the Motive Black Label kit comes with a metal cap and gasket similar to PowerProbe, with tubing that can be adapted for a air compressor. Amazon carries it for a price lower than the Motive online store itself. Buying the Black Label kit allows you to either use the reservoir and pump, or plug it into an air compressor.

Just an FYI.

bob

Hayabusa 03-20-2011 02:54 PM

That is old school. Porsche techs have been using that same contraption for years. :cool:

Alan C. 03-22-2011 09:47 AM

Another thought on the pressure stated as safe. Are they referring to 'gauge' or 'absolute'?

breeznn 03-23-2011 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Musclehedz101 (Post 3095247)

Thoughts?

There is a company that makes a universal pressure bleeder (comes with multiple reservoir caps). The air pressure hose has an end that clamps on to the tire valve stem to to supply pressure. The draw back is you need to reduce the tire pressure down ot 10 or 20 psi. I think the manufacturer is an english company. Google "EZbleed".

On a side note: it has been my experience that on other German cars and some of my 1980s vintage Porches, you have to pinch the overflow tube on the brake reservoir when using a pressure bleeder. Otherwise you end up with your new brake fluid on the garage floor.

D_Nyholm 03-24-2011 07:55 AM

I know that MKelly recommended to use the Motive dry so as not to contaminate the fuild. What makes this any different than using the Motive? It is the 30 pumps it takes to get it up to pressure? If anything, i could use the slight workout!!

MrWhite 03-24-2011 02:19 PM

+1 for this, gives a really good feel in pedal after bleeding.

alex55 04-06-2011 07:01 AM

Next week I will go to make the oil service at the dealer and I want to change the brake fluid too because it has 2 years, I ask them if they are useing the piwis when changing the fluid and they said that no and only one liter of brake fluid is needed.

Are they stupid or not, this is my question?!

Thanks?

D_Nyholm 04-06-2011 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by alex55 (Post 3170480)
Next week I will go to make the oil service at the dealer and I want to change the brake fluid too because it has 2 years, I ask them if they are useing the piwis when changing the fluid and they said that no and only one liter of brake fluid is needed.

Are they stupid or not, this is my question?!

Thanks?

When I changed mine, I only needed 1 lite to fully flush it minus the abs. From what I understand, you need the porsche computer to activate the abs to flush that as well. I don't know how much, if any, effect it will have not flushing it, and I also don't know how much is in there. I do think I remember reading that the new durametric has the ability to activate the abs pump, thought could have been dreaming :)

mmm635 04-06-2011 08:53 AM

I have been using the Black Label for years and have never had any problems with any car that had ABS. The Motive is going to do just as good a job as the contraption listed in this thread. I have an air compressor and do not see any advantage to using this contraption over the Motive. In fact, as mentioned in an earlier post, the Motive has the advantage of keeping the reservoir filled up during the process.

If your brakes have not been bled in a long time, 2 years plus, then I would suggest using a liter the first time. After two or three days of driving, bleed it a gain with another liter. You will be surprised at what comes out the second time that you did not see the first time. Plus, this will eliminate the fluid that may get trapped in the system since the ABS pump is not actuated via the OEM computer at the dealership.

Tj Hunter 04-06-2011 09:30 AM

Just ordered my Motive Black Label, been thinking about it for a while, and now that I have a few sets of brakes to do, its time! I also think the Motive product is the better option as you do not need an external air pressure source, which is an advantage not only for ease or use, but as others have pointed out, there IS condensation in most air compressor systems, unless you have a water filter, which most do not.

mmm635 04-06-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tj Hunter (Post 3170589)
Just ordered my Motive Black Label, been thinking about it for a while, and now that I have a few sets of brakes to do, its time! I also think the Motive product is the better option as you do not need an external air pressure source, which is an advantage not only for ease or use, but as others have pointed out, there IS condensation in most air compressor systems, unless you have a water filter, which most do not.

You might want to think about eventually purchasing another one in the future. I have two black labels, one for the brake fluid and one for the clutch. I did not want to deal with cleaning out the bottle each time I switch between brake fluid and Pentosin.

dragonman4 04-06-2011 02:55 PM

Not trying to sound stupid but after searching amazon for the motive black label and finding it's hand pump operated would this still be a better idea than using jons original idea of a compressor? How accurate would the hand pump be in terms of not exceeding the porsche max psi recommendation to avoid damage to the system?