996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Static on Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:58 PM
SAVED4IT will become famous soon enough
Static on Radio

Once in a while when listening to the radio (FM), I get what I can only describe as loud pulses of static blasting through the speakers. Turning the radio off solves the problem, and I do not get it while listening to a CD. Driving a long-haul this last weekend, the problem was pretty bad.

Anyone had an issue like this? I am considering taking it in to Porsche for warranty work, as my extended warranty expires August!

2002 996TT (pre-MOST)

Old 07-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Keithbeats is a splendid one to beholdKeithbeats is a splendid one to beholdKeithbeats is a splendid one to beholdKeithbeats is a splendid one to beholdKeithbeats is a splendid one to beholdKeithbeats is a splendid one to beholdKeithbeats is a splendid one to behold
I'm sure someone will chime in about "why are you listening to the radio anyway? Listen to that sweet exhaust!" If you have a warranty, I'd give it a try. But I can't help but think there is a loose connection somewhere, which could take days to find. A very hard thing to trace. But, if you want give it a try, start by going into the trunk and checking out all the wires.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
This is likely caused by your smartphone, my iphone

does this (3gs currently and formerly the 3g) in my car until I added a small piece on anti-static material (the same material used to ship hard drives in), to the bottom third of the back of the phone, it sits between the phone and case. It does impact the signal strength a bit, but I couldn't stand the interference it caused with my stock head unit and speakers.

Next time you are in the car, turn off your phone completely, and see if it happens.

There are several websites that discuss this problem, I can dig up the links if needed. Let me know.

Here is one link, there are many.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...71231014727222

Last edited by JSBear; 07-14-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:01 PM
SAVED4IT will become famous soon enough
The smartphone idea is a very good suggestion. I remember when I got my first cellphone and put it next to my computer speakers, I'd get similar static once in a while. I keep my smartphone just below the receiver deck in the little cubby. I will try this out extensively!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:43 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Likely your problem, I bet it won't do it if it's off. You could move it to the cubby under the middle armrest, it won't be as bad there. Phone is not that accessible in that location though.

I have virtually no problems using the method in the link above, but depending on the type of phone, this may not work for you.

Keep us posted.