996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New to the 996TT and have some questions. Compared to Evo?..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 04:51 AM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile New to the 996TT and have some questions. Compared to Evo?..

So I've always liked the Porsche TTs a lot and now that prices are very reasonable, I'm looking a bit closer. I've been an Evo guy for several years and I really like the feel of those cars. They are not luxurious, nor do they look all that great, but I could care less. Besides, they're a lot of fun to drive and push to the limits. So I'm hoping that some of you have experience with both vehicles and can give me some feedback here...

I've never driven one, so I wanted to ask those of you who own them what your thoughts are of the car compared to say, the Evo IX.

Obviously a huge step-up in luxury, but on a track how does the car feel compared to the Evo? Is it a lot like the Evo in that it pretty much grips like crazy? What are the major drawbacks of these cars? Compared to an Evo with the same power, which is more *fun* to drive? I really like the rawness of the Evo IX. Does the Porsche feel similar? I haven't driven an Evo X yet and I think they're kinda ugly, so I'm not too interested in one anyway, but I've read that people say the car just doesn't have the feel of the IX. Where is the 996TT in that equation?

How long do the major drivetrain components last in these cars? I know they're pricey to repair and maintain, but that isn't so much of a concern to me. Also, is it a car I can cruise across the country without fear of it breaking down on me?

FWIW if I was to buy one, (more like when I do buy one), I really don't plan on modding it and I'd prefer to keep it stock other than some sweet rims perhaps. (I really get tired of modding cars and losing reliability).

Thank you!

Old 08-14-2010, 05:19 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
How long do the major drivetrain components last in these cars? I know they're pricey to repair and maintain, but that isn't so much of a concern to me. Also, is it a car I can cruise across the country without fear of it breaking down on me?
At stock power levels they last "forever"...the entire car is extremely well engineered and built.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:34 AM
sav911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kpt6
Also, is it a car I can cruise across the country without fear of it breaking down on me?

FWIW if I was to buy one, (more like when I do buy one), I really don't plan on modding it and I'd prefer to keep it stock other than some sweet rims perhaps. (I really get tired of modding cars and losing reliability).

Thank you!
I just drove mine from Phoenix to Boston in June. Didn't burn a bit of oil over 3,200 miles. The car now has 73,000 on it.

There are some known issues with other systems that a search on 6spd or RennList will turn up, but the drivetrain itself is very stout.

On the wheels - I'd recommend sticking with 18's - I went with 19" O.Z. Ultraleggeras and they beat the crap out of me driving x-country, and had to be re-balanced when I got to Boston.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:53 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
If in stock trim you shouldn't have any issues other then regular wear items. A 996tt with Psm and awd is definitely not raw like the 930 turbos rear engine rwd. But turning off the psm and u can get er sliding fairly easy.

The car handles well out of the box as expected but a couple suspension mods and the difference us night n day

Old 08-14-2010, 09:17 AM
r34dy2walk is on a distinguished road
Drove from AZ to NY with some sprinted driving in between and cruising at an average of 1XX mph, I did burn a bit of oil but no issues anywhere else. Car was almost completely stock at this point though.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:40 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
stock suspension and tracking is not the best combination.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Page is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of lightPage is a glorious beacon of light
Hello and hope to welcome another future TT owner.

Coming from a Subaru STi with moderate mods I had ~390hp to the wheels. I had it set up with suspension for the track. It handled great, pretty neutral and I could toss it around. But I still would not compare or put it in the same category as a Porsche.

Evo is a great track car for the money. Beat the snot out of it and hope nothing blows up, turbo, trans, etc. It has happened to a few friends of mine. I think it's the best bang for the buck as a track car. Plenty of mods and horsepower levels available for the car.

Best supercar for the money is the 996tt. Plenty of performance potential, handles great at the track when setup correctly and it's a P-Car. You get a different crowd association, and an extremely long racing heritage.

To setup suspension correctly you can easily spend 10k +, performance the same or double. So it's really up to you on your goals. I'm more track oriented, so I'm concentrating on suspension and brakes first. The car is a blast around the track with just suspension, exhaust and tires.

If and I do any turbos it would be nothing to crazy. I think to low to mid 500hp to the wheels is more then enough at the track. Hell, 450hp AW is probably all I would need.

The drive train on these are are built proof as they same. As with anything else, extreme HP levels would need special attention. There are a few people on here pushing 800+ HP to the wheels. These cars are reaching 10+ years and require some bits to be maintained and replaced; bushings, mounts, etc. The hydraulic clutch assist on these cars seem to have issues, I plan to remove it and install the GT2 clutch slave.

Well, the board has plenty of information and discussion topics. Find a local PCA gathering and check out some of the cars and ask for a rind in one!

Hope we can help you on your questions.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
As any car, do a proper PPI (even invest in the scan software for your laptop up front if you really are planning on a car)

One thing you'll notice up front. Mod parts are higher quality overall than the ones available for the EVO.(or any Asian built car for that matter) When you compare equl quality parts, the Porsche tax really isn't that bad. A high end set of coilovers will run about the same for either car. With the P-car, you don't generally see the 'junk'. So, "BPU" type cars won't be unreliable.

I've worked on the EVO and now my 996tt. Once you get past the fear of the 'unknown', you'll love the Porsche. I find the 996TT easier to work on than the EVO and far better built than say, the 3000gt VR4.(which I had heavily modified)

Go test drive a few, they are a totally different car. You will need to learn to drive at the track all over again; the lines are different as you would imagine with the engine in the back.

If you are patient and do your homework, do your own work, Porsche tax is reasonably easy to avoid. Discount OEM parts aren't too hard to find and are not 'much' higher priced than the Mitsu dealer; though a few things are obscene. So far, a good set of torx bits has been the only extra tools I've had to buy.

Last edited by Brad Bedell; 08-14-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:15 PM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! Thanks a lot guys for all the useful info. I really appreciate it. Looks like I've got some reading up to do to find out the commonly known issues with these cars and model year changes and what-not. I like what I'm hearing here. Will have to test drive some when time allows...

Old 08-14-2010, 09:35 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I love your avatar. Whoever built that monster truck has a good sense of humor.

These cars are overbuilt. With proper care they're very durable. Do your research, test drive and when you find one do a thorough PPI. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Where in AZ are you? I'm in Gilbert and work in Scottsdale. I'd be happy to let you drive my car once I get a few items sorted (have a bad clutch slave at the moment and I'm preparing to convert to the gt2 clutch slave system). Scott.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:22 AM
^^^PM'd

Last edited by kpt6; 08-20-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:33 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I have met several Evo and Sti guys and they all want to move to the P-car eventually. Funny thing is that I would not mind having an Evo or Sti as an extra fun car. bang for the buck they are great. The Turbo is a great machine and you won't regret it. Just get rid of the crappy stock exhaust and stock suspension and you will love it. Feels as solid as a tank and the 4th and 5th pull ability of this car is incredible even stock.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
I agree...I'd love an evo as my daily (especially since my current daily is a bmw 318ti!). Also, agree with the above post regarding 4 and 5th pulling power...this is where the car really sets itself apart...these cars pull strong at higher speeds for sure.