996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evolution of the 996tt. Who's who.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I'm not sure of the timing, but sometime after the EVOMS Stage VR Alexander introduced the large porting of 996tt heads along with big valves through McKenzie. Alex (VR) use to spend a lot of time at S Car Go watching my build. What he did through Protomotive was to use 996tt heads, port them of approximate GT3 port size and using GT3 RSR valves. This was a take off of our GT3 heads using both Forrea and Manley valves. Why ....... at the time neither Forrea or Manley made the intakes and exhausts in the sizes required. Now Forrea makes both sets.

Last edited by cjv; 08-26-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:35 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Another name of original innovators, he did a test of many of the exhausts at the time was Stephen or Porsche PhD. Also, Roock was there with his variant 993tt K24 GT2 turbo adaption.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
SCargo and Todd K pioneered the dual pump fuel system. As mentioned above, Todd was the first to use a Ford MAF and pioneered the full blow through system.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:43 PM
cjv
I believe I (cjv) with Performance Developments were the first to install 12 mm head studs on a 996tt motor as evidenced of the dated posts in my thread ....... however I believe EVOMS was also working on them and actually had them on a working motor about nine months after our pics. I believe we still have an edge with our designed cut washers to help prevent the head from moving.

We need to get Todd Z and sharkster in this thread as both would we a wealth of information.

For old times sake what was the name of the parts person in Belgium who had great prices on parts before the Euro went crazy. Also, the name of the Ruf dealer in Canada who also had good prices before the ceased reping Ruf ....... Ascar???

Last edited by cjv; 08-26-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Szpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cjv
I believe I (cjv) with Performance Developments were the first to install 12 mm head studs on a 996tt motor as evidenced of the dated posts in my thread ....... however I believe EVOMS was also working on them and actually had them on a working motor about nine months after our pics.

We need to get Todd Z and sharkster in this thread as both would we a wealth of information.

For old times sake what was the name of the parts person in Belgium who had great prices on parts before the Euro went crazy. Also, the name of the Ruf dealer in Canada who also had good prices before the ceased reping Ruf ....... Ascar???
Wasn´t the guy in Belgium Gert at Carnewal?

Old 08-26-2010, 04:04 PM
teflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cjv
...Also, the name of the Ruf dealer in Canada who also had good prices before the ceased repping Ruf ....... Ascar???
I believe it was Asgar @ Weissach

Greg A

Old 08-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
A couple of firsts that I believe were brought to fruition in my '01 996TT build:

-Protomotive was the first company to release any type of different variable intake cams in a completed 996TT.

-Protomotive was the first to have the stock 996TT cams modified for use in a engine build.

-Protomotive was the first to utilize GT3 cam synch pickups in a 996TT.

-Protomotive was the first to utilize GT3 code in the 996TT ECU in order to take better advantage of variable cam timing.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:44 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
kevin from ultimate motor werks. i have yet to find a k24 car quicker than mine. raced an evo 610 or 650 996tt and put bus lengths on it

Old 08-26-2010, 07:30 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
I think Protomotive was the first to have a 3.8 liter build???

Old 08-26-2010, 08:34 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Szpet
Wasn´t the guy in Belgium Gert at Carnewal?
Yes, that was the name. Great help to me.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by teflon
I believe it was Asgar @ Weissach

Greg A
Yes, that was the name. I wonder what is doing now?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:00 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
A couple of firsts that I believe were brought to fruition in my '01 996TT build:

-Protomotive was the first company to release any type of different variable intake cams in a completed 996TT.

-Protomotive was the first to have the stock 996TT cams modified for use in a engine build.

-Protomotive was the first to utilize GT3 cam synch pickups in a 996TT.

-Protomotive was the first to utilize GT3 code in the 996TT ECU in order to take better advantage of variable cam timing.
Scott,

I can remember discussing with Todd K the utilization of GT3 pointers in the 996tt. Todd K called me up to ask me to sell him my GT3 cams for Markski's car. The physical build was ahead of mine. Most people did not realize the GT3 had different size valve stem lengths for the different class GT3 motors. The tappets were also different ..... solid, hydralic, flat and radius'ed. The 996tt and the GT3 cams also had a different number of pointers on the cam. These different number of pointers made it impossible for the 996tt ECU to even start a motor with GT3 cams. This was first brought to my attention from Loren Beggs of 911 Design. Loren was the first I know to turbo chage a GT3 motor using relatively low boosts. I believe Todd K solved the problem by placing the GT3 program on the 96tt ECU and then adding a boost controller because the GT3 ECU had no provision for boost. A La Markski's build.

I was the one who actually designed and built from billet GT3 pointer cams (intake and exhaust) for the 996tt. We used GT3 cam towers as was done on Markski engines. The reason for using the GT3 cam towers was because these towers are capable of larger cams that the 996tt cam towers are not capable of. To my knowledge our cams are the most radical profile on any 996tt. Until the motor is run we do not know how good this will be.

As a side Todd K is one of the few people who we shared our cam specs with. Soon after Todd K used some of this information to modify a vario cam. I understand this was with your car Scott.

The only thing that you said, and I am not criticizing, just questioning is, the GT3 pick ups or pointers on your car. Your car had 996tt cams that were reground to a different profile utilizing profiles designed for a turbo versus a normally aspirated motor. Todd had to use a 996tt pointer. Markski had the motor with the GT3 cams and pointers and the challenge was addressed as above.

There is another little know secret. During our testing we discovered that all Porsche cams that we tested had harmonic distortion. We engineered this out of the cams and the result was being able to use much lighter spring pressures that don't pound the seats.

Last edited by cjv; 08-26-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:11 PM
cjv
I'll give you another item, we didn't invent it, it was discovered much like the Ruf air intakes. While testing different IC cores we couldn't understand why one very good IC manufacturer had a IC that was about 7% more efficient and dispite all the looking we could find any other other difference. We used all the same tank air flow design. We check the negative areas with p-tons and yet these IC were better than ours. What we learned was these IC's had a dispersant coating applied by Swain. When we did the same ....... bingo.

I shared this information with sharkster, who I have shared information with over the years and soon after EVO was offering the coating. They were the first I know to offer it to the general public with their product.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Good info here. I remember in 2001-2002 when excellence was doing articles on monster 600 bhp 996tt's

Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Interesting reading and while i see a lot of 1st to do things i wonder myself why is it that it seems the community is in somewhat of a standstill on many aspects.. Such as Aftermarket Ecu options, Fuel choices etc.. Why is it communities like Supra, Evo, Honda have been using E85 for 3 years now making more power than 15.00/Gal race gas.. Is everyone content where it stands at this point??

As a late comer to this party I dont really mind.. I was late with the Mitsu Evo as well coming in to the game in 2007 after the car has been out since 2003.. The same goes for my 2002 Gt2 that arrives next week 8 years late.. LOL

I respect many of the big names in the community after reading for hours and hours on here for the last 6 months.. Credit must go out to those that have paved the way in many aspects of building these cars for us new comers.. ToddZ has always been there with answers to many of my questions along with Markski & CJV.. Thank you guys!!

We look forward to unveiling our up and coming project that i think will benefit the community in certain aspects such as track setup, fueling, Turbos, & Ecu's.. A ton of testing is about to go on shortly..

Mike

Last edited by cjv; 08-26-2010 at 10:09 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evolution of the 996tt. Who's who.