996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

997 GT2 Expansion tank on 996 engine.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Tim! I'll verify some of this over the next few days. My pump power wires are unplugged.

When I installed my 100cell cats, I pulled the rear o2 sensors out of the stream a bit. Since they are out a 'bit' they may not be sensitive enough to throw a code. If my assumptions are correct about the DME not knowing if the pump is unplugged beyond the relay, I'm likely good to go. I'll know more and update several parts of this post after this weekend.

-B

Old 09-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
I know the tubi race exhaust has no cats and does not throw a CEL do to being out of the flow...Brad, how are you making out?

Tim

Old 09-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
I know the tubi race exhaust has no cats and does not throw a CEL do to being out of the flow...Brad, how are you making out?

Tim
Air pump threw a code Friday. Have not diagnosed it further than my generic OBD II scan tool.

*edit* This is with the stock intake, not the GT2 intake. I'm just trying to better understand the diagnostic ability of the Motronic.

Last edited by Brad Bedell; 09-05-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:32 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
I did this by getting some brackets and adapters done. Brackets for LH & RH auxiliary equipment attachment points were done from aluminium sheet by water jet cutting. For EGR piping by machining from billet ( LH ). At RH side the original intake manifold was relieved from extra weight =) with a hand saw and milling machine. See pictures below. Fabricating company's contact info by PM! I used freeze plugs instead of threaded plugs like Brad's, I was afraid of getting metal shavings into heads, but after seeing how Brad did it I would have done that too.

Using 997 secondary air pump and vacuum system would be a tempting idea, but overly expensive.

With the parts I used original secondary air pump with it's piping can be used. Also intake manifold ( between MAF and turbos ) at LH side fits it's original location.
Fuel lines crossing the engine are a tight fit with 997 expansion tanks, but with some imagination they can be twisted to fit. Injectors will fit if fuel rail's attachment point are slightly cut in angle.
I made an intermediate piece ( PET teminology, equals that T-piece connecting the TB to tank halves ) of my own to fit 996 turbo's own TB to tank halves. It's sized so that the expansion manifod principle will not be disturbed. All OEM boost/vacuum lines are used.

Head's intake ports are few mm's larger than tank's, but the porting was fast and easy. At the same time I also ported exhaust manifolds too...

More pictures about how the engine looks like when all parts are there when I get back home from Japan. I get no CEL's related to these parts.
Some others though, but because engine had sat unused for some time...apparently I need to open & clean TB's gearing and engine loom's grounding points.

Attached Images     
Old 09-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Pete95zhn: thanks for the photos! My biggest issue with the design of those brackets for the air pump is the potential for leaks over several hundred or thousand heat cycles. Sure, your setup is likely adequate and likely good enough. I'm just not comfortable putting it on my car with the seal not in line with the bolt holes. . My experiments above to remove the air pump are still with a stock intake system. I'll have a fit kit/intake/plenum kit available shortly with air pump. Hopefully I'll also have something available for an off-road air pump delete.

My heads/intake matched up perfectly as did the fuel rail and the lines. Now, with aftermarket injectors (simmens 60#) that are on my car, I'll have to slot the rail a bit or build an adapter bracket. (I think 911 tuning has one?)

*IF* you ported matched your intake to the intake gasket, you'll have the 1mm lip when the intake hits the head. The Head also has a 1mm lip when comparing it to the intake gasket.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Brad Bedell

*IF* you ported matched your intake to the intake gasket,
No, I did not.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Brad,

Any notable changes to talk about in power? I see you are using the 60lbs injectors but what turbos are you running?

Tim

Old 09-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by dick_997
Thanks for all the information guys! For those of us with 'offroad' only cars this is very helpful. As I dont have cats I don't need/want the secondary AIR pump. Does anyone get codes removing the pump and EGR? I noticed there was talk above about a resistor inline to trick the ECU or can these codes all be tuned out? Thanks (again for non-emission inspected cars)
I believe if the rear O2's are flashed out there will be no problem..

Tim

Old 09-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
No, I did not.
Odd, I measured the dimensions of the ports with a caliper on the head and GT2 intake vs the stock intake bits and did not find a difference. I'll double check again as I was expecting a bit smaller port from the GT2 manifolds.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by dick_997
Thanks for all the information guys! For those of us with 'offroad' only cars this is very helpful. As I dont have cats I don't need/want the secondary AIR pump. Does anyone get codes removing the pump and EGR? I noticed there was talk above about a resistor inline to trick the ECU or can these codes all be tuned out? Thanks (again for non-emission inspected cars)
Cap off the VSV valve that is attached to the air pump. This would effectively disable the air pump. You'll want to leave everything there electronically to make the computer happy. I'd be curious to verify the 2nd o2 sensor being disabled is the simple solution for air pump removal.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:42 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
I have no rear cats and 100 cell front race cats and spending $75 on the 2nd set of OBD2 "Spacers" solved all my CEL probs permanently, without any additional programming

Old 10-03-2010, 12:45 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Brad, did you make a kit to install the manifolds? I just ordered my 997tt manifolds and will be installing them soon.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Dgeen78: haven't gotten back to this project at the moment. Though, I suspect the brackets on the 997tt and gt2 are different.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Just a quick bump. I never finished this project and have since sold the car. The plenum/tanks are in the for sale section if someone wants to pick up on these.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:15 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
I missed this earlier. This is like reading a great one-of-a-kind novel and discovering that someone ripped out the last pages! ouch.

I hope whomever buys these bits will consider continuing this and sharing as their project progresses. Brad, wish you the best and thank you for this. It was making me think about tearing into my GT2.

JR

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 Expansion tank on 996 engine.