996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can I get rid of this hideous wood trim?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:19 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
If you have a good detail shop in your area, I bet they could wrap those pieces in carbon fiber wrap.

Everything pops off very easily, except the strip running below the airbag and dash. That piece is a PITA to install and it is very hard to take it off without breaking it.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:26 PM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of

i swapped out my interior using dbcarbon parts but it cost me 5k. i still have all my original interior including steering wheel and it's black and i'll make you a sweet deal on it. pm if you're interested.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
From what I seen in your pic, we can get all the wood trims replace with CF trims for less than $2k (with steering wheel). We can also buy your wood trims too! Let me know if interest!

http://www.rotteccarbon.com/interior_996.php

Old 09-11-2010, 07:29 PM
DeanOU is a jewel in the roughDeanOU is a jewel in the roughDeanOU is a jewel in the rough
Wow, you guys are great on this forum!

dfwerdoc, I may take up your offer.

Ray, you carbon fiber stuff looks very appealing.

Now all that's left is buying the car

Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
yes we can ah i mean you can
it's time for change

Old 09-11-2010, 08:27 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
my friend had the same problem with his m5, we removed all the trim and gave it to a bodyshop friend of mine who painted it all piano black for a couple of hundred bucks, it looks awesome with the black leather, subtle and classy

Old 09-12-2010, 08:32 AM
DeanOU is a jewel in the roughDeanOU is a jewel in the roughDeanOU is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by dfwerdoc

i swapped out my interior using dbcarbon parts but it cost me 5k. i still have all my original interior including steering wheel and it's black and i'll make you a sweet deal on it. pm if you're interested.
dfwerdoc,

I don't have enough posts to respond to your PM, but your offer sounds great. Thanks so much for your help. If you can PM your email, we can get in contact. I hope the dealer accepts my offer for the 03 Turbo.

Dean

Old 09-12-2010, 11:00 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
My car started out that way....I used Dallas and bought pieces here and there, some from people on this forum (the techart ****....now rennline has great *****...)....

DALLAS STEERING...
Ultimate Pedals (I custom designed them to my taste)...
ROTtec seats
Custom colors removable pillows matched to natural brown....down with my 8yo son doing the color application with me (really)....looks perfect...
Carbon brake lever..from a German source, black...trying to get natural brown and carbon was a 6+ month issue from Porsche in Germany - I did not want to wait. Suncoast got the door insert for me (GT3) to remove the memory buttons as the gt3 seats don't have that feature and I hate buttons that don't do anything....

Jeff

Attached Images  

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 09-12-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:03 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
The PO ordered wood in my car and although I wouldn't have picked it, it grows on you and soon you won't even see it. It is unique and different although most don't seem to like it. After owning my car for 3 years now, I like the wood just fine.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:14 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I have mine with wood trim for 3 years; I actually kind of like it. This will depend what age you are at; if you will hit 50 soon leave it and save your money, it will grow on you; if you are a long way to 50, change them out.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:48 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rdss
Yup wood doesn't go with Porsche
+1 . Seriously funky looking.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:34 AM
edelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond repute
parts

yes u can paint pieces ive done it for the local dealer a few times . bring to local body shop they can do it

Old 09-13-2010, 10:32 AM
GXL
GXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of light
My issue is less concerning the desirability of the wood but more about wood trim pieces that are loose or not properly adhered and are then curling or cracking as a result. My interest is to replace these damaged pieces – whether with wood or another material. Anyone else had this problem? What did you do?

Old 09-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Danger Granger is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
My car started out that way....I used Dallas and bought pieces here and there, some from people on this forum (the techart ****....now rennline has great *****...)....

DALLAS STEERING...
Ultimate Pedals (I custom designed them to my taste)...
ROTtec seats
Custom colors removable pillows matched to natural brown....down with my 8yo son doing the color application with me (really)....looks perfect...
Carbon brake lever..from a German source, black...trying to get natural brown and carbon was a 6+ month issue from Porsche in Germany - I did not want to wait. Suncoast got the door insert for me (GT3) to remove the memory buttons as the gt3 seats don't have that feature and I hate buttons that don't do anything....

Jeff

Wow man, LOVE the seats. Sharp looking interior. Well done sir...

Old 09-13-2010, 10:58 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Fortunately (or unfortunately depending how you look at it) - many of your interior pieces can be sourced from a Boxster or C2, and there are plenty of them running around. Keep an eye on eBay and try PartsHeaven, Oklahoma Foreign and LA Porsche and you should be able to source the parts quite easily. Quickest fix for the wheel is just a straight swap... there are always a few in the Misc. items thread on here and on Rennlist. Just pull your airbag and swap the wheels. Selling your wood grain one on eBay will probably even cover ALL of the flat black pieces to do the complete conversion. Everything pops off quite easily. Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can I get rid of this hideous wood trim?