996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can I get rid of this hideous wood trim?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:10 AM
DeanOU is a jewel in the roughDeanOU is a jewel in the roughDeanOU is a jewel in the rough
Can I get rid of this hideous wood trim?

I found a nice low mileage 2003 996 Turbo with the right exterior and interior color combo.

One problem: a hideous wood trim package (in my opinion).

I know anything is possible with enough money, but how much would it cost to "downgrade" to flat black or silver trim?

Is it difficult to remove the wood trim from the steering wheel?

Thanks,
Dean

Old 09-11-2010, 10:16 AM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
I have the same problem. I've slowly been aquiring parts and upgrades a little at a time. Pretty expensiveto do the carbn fiber I want all at once. Not sure how much the aluminum trim would be. You can look into cf wraps or alcantara. Not sure how the steering wheel comes apart though.

Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2010, 10:20 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Yup wood doesn't go with Porsche

Old 09-11-2010, 10:20 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Whew! That wood IS atrocious. Otherwise looks like a great interior.

Dash trim should be easy enough to remove and replace with alumalook or CF bits. May be mistaken, but taking the trim off the wheel will probably be next to impossible without destroying it. Best thing to do for that would be sending it off to get re-covered.
Lots of people have had good experience with dallas steering wheel.

http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/

Old 09-11-2010, 10:29 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Well at least the rear console is in black already, so that's the most expensive piece! I am in the process of riding my car of it.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:30 AM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
What about getting the wood painted? I would assume it has a clear coat sprayed over the wood to begin with. Then just sand the wood down and get it painted the color of choice (body color? or gloss black?) and re-cleared. Should look pretty good. The only problem would be the steering wheel which you could probably get rewrapped or just have to buy one that you like.

Let us know what you decide to do. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2010, 10:36 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DeanOU
I found a nice low mileage 2003 996 Turbo with the right exterior and interior color combo.

One problem: a hideous wood trim package (in my opinion).

I know anything is possible with enough money, but how much would it cost to "downgrade" to flat black or silver trim?

Is it difficult to remove the wood trim from the steering wheel?

Thanks,
Dean

Dean,

You can get rid of this awful trim by sending it to me. I will pay the shipping.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:41 AM
DeanOU is a jewel in the roughDeanOU is a jewel in the roughDeanOU is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the replies, guys.

It looks like replacing just the instrument surround and radio trim with aluminum-look will cost about $600 from Suncoast. The steering wheel looks hopeless..$1000 alone!

Maybe I could live with it..

Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !

It looks like replacing just the instrument surround and radio trim with aluminum-look will cost about $600 from Suncoast. The steering wheel looks hopeless..$1000 alone!

Get aftermarket - bumperplugs.com or elegant performance.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
check Elegant Performance

Old 09-11-2010, 11:22 AM
falcon7x7 is a splendid one to beholdfalcon7x7 is a splendid one to beholdfalcon7x7 is a splendid one to beholdfalcon7x7 is a splendid one to beholdfalcon7x7 is a splendid one to beholdfalcon7x7 is a splendid one to beholdfalcon7x7 is a splendid one to behold

Call Don @ Dallas Steering Wheel, he can help you!

Old 09-11-2010, 11:32 AM
vv23 has a spectacular aura aboutvv23 has a spectacular aura about
I had the same wood trim on my car plus wood shift **** and hand brake. I replaced the shifter with a 997 shift ****, and steering wheel and handbrake with used leather ones for $200 (mint condition)

The rest in carbon fiber wrapped. Cost me $70 and half a day of work. The new 3M carbon fiber wrap is amazing and easy to use

Old 09-11-2010, 11:34 AM
vv23 has a spectacular aura aboutvv23 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by powderjay
I have the same problem. I've slowly been aquiring parts and upgrades a little at a time. Pretty expensiveto do the carbn fiber I want all at once. Not sure how much the aluminum trim would be. You can look into cf wraps or alcantara. Not sure how the steering wheel comes apart though.

Back of the airbag ther is 2 bolts on either side.. remove them and the airbag will come off......then there is one big bolt in the center of the steering wheel once removed. Remove that and the wheel will come off.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:46 AM
GXL
GXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of light
I have the same wood; problems now with cracking, look, etc. Can anyone reccomend someone in the Philly area to work on replacing the trim? Thanks.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Racin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant future
google water transfer decal and check out some of the companies doing it.

It's what many mfg's are using for carbon look and wood grain looks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can I get rid of this hideous wood trim?