996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can I get rid of this hideous wood trim?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:42 PM
hly
hly is on a distinguished road
When I clicked on the Rottec link posted above I get a virus warning message, just curious if anyone else has it too or is it just my computer?

http://www.rotteccarbon.com/interior_996.php

Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 AM
AskDrTodd is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, I have a similar problem, my wood trim strips up near the windshield are cracking badly and look terrible. I really would like to replace them (dealer wants over a grand for the pair which is just a bit ridiculous), does anyone have any they've replaced with carbon, or know of a more reasonably priced place to source them? I don't care if they are the wrong color, if they don't match I'll paint them satin black or gloss black.

Thank you x 1,000,000. I don't think I can PM yet, but my email address is my username on here at gmail. Thanks!!!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AskDrTodd
Hey guys, I have a similar problem, my wood trim strips up near the windshield are cracking badly and look terrible. I really would like to replace them (dealer wants over a grand for the pair which is just a bit ridiculous), does anyone have any they've replaced with carbon, or know of a more reasonably priced place to source them? I don't care if they are the wrong color, if they don't match I'll paint them satin black or gloss black.

Thank you x 1,000,000. I don't think I can PM yet, but my email address is my username on here at gmail. Thanks!!!
Welcome!

The wood trim on these cars is junk. Porsche should do something to fix this problem. These cars are not that old and are babied and the wood is cracking and glue is coming loose. For such an expensive option, you would think it would last a tad longer than 5-6 years...

I have been slowly replacing my wood with body color painted pieces. I have just been watching this forum for sale, ebay, and other places.

I don't think I have the trim pieces near the windshield. And I haven't seen any anywhere either. Do you happen to have a pic of them?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Former Vendor
LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !
You could probably replace all the wood with new Porsche parts in black for about $1,000-$1,200. All of those parts are easy to replace exept for the dash strip.

Last edited by LaneS@MAcarbon; 12-14-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:15 AM
jimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the rough
My dash strip warped this summer in the Jawjah heat. They glued it down and I hope it stays.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:55 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Think wrap. You can simply remove all the pieces and have local wrap guys wrap them in carbon fibre look. It will look carbon, and it would be a much cheaper alternative. :-). Just an idea.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:02 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
That sounds as a very good idea Terminator.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:15 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Wrap would be very cool! Just have to get someone very good a patient! Lots of curves and strange shapes!!! I tried it myself, and gave up after 30 minutes and only got a few inches on... But I am definitely not skilled in that!!!