996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Coolant leak... smell it left front...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:13 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Coolant leak... smell it left front...

Yeah, I have the drivers side radiator weeping must be. I smelled it today when it got warm about 30 miles from home.
Ran my last errand, looked underneath and still dry, drove it home.
I'll have to shred it to confirm... but I'd bet money on it.
I'm sure it's not cheap...

Old 09-21-2010, 08:49 PM
pplace993 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jjbravo
Yeah, I have the drivers side radiator weeping must be. I smelled it today when it got warm about 30 miles from home.
Ran my last errand, looked underneath and still dry, drove it home.
I'll have to shred it to confirm... but I'd bet money on it.
I'm sure it's not cheap...
Definitely the radiators!!! Might as well replace both while you at it!!! It happened on a buddies TT, not sure how much though.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:27 PM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
Check all hoses

Same issue with my front left, no coolant leak, no pressure leak. I'm in the process of sourcing the front hoses that are accessible when the wheel is removed and the left radiator. Clean the debris from the front that collects between the liner and the radiator. I fabricated small ducts to blow air through from the grill to exit the fender liner.

One more part of the Pcar that I'm now intimate with.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:38 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
radiator = 400 ish
hoses = 100 ish

each side...

Old 09-22-2010, 05:16 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Maybe not the exact same problem, but mine ended up being this..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-problem.html

Old 09-23-2010, 06:38 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
I have had hoses split and radiators let go. Strangest thing was one of them weeped like yours. Could smell but never see it. Finally took it out and had pressure tested......they could not find anything either but there was residue down at the lower seam...figured a hose was somehow weeping and it was just gathering or pooling at the seam.

Wrong.

Shortly thereafter it did finally let go and separated right at that seam.

I'd just do them both plus the hoses....piece of mind and all that.... I hate being a couple hundred miles from home wondering what a flat bed would run to get the car back to my house......kinda ruins the fun of driving!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:43 AM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
Cost of LS Radiator $368.00 + tax

$368.00 + FL tax for OEM radiator from local Pcar distributor. I still need to source the front hoses. They said to get part numbers from the hose itself which I will do this weekend.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rolfjahn
$368.00 + FL tax for OEM radiator from local Pcar distributor. I still need to source the front hoses. They said to get part numbers from the hose itself which I will do this weekend.
Pay special atention to the vent hoses...read post #14 of this thread...

Superceded part number for the vent hose. Plastic now, not aluminum. Mine kept coming loose and popping off. That was my leak problem.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes, I agree and plan on the safety wire approach.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:33 PM
X50Beast is on a distinguished road
new to the forum, and the car, I have a 2003 X50TT, my problem just happened, I drove the car about 10 days ago, parked in my garage, and today noticed, green fluid on the right front lower dam and on the ground, I veiwed the inside and there is just a little residue in the deepest corner. The drip is about 1 every hour,
as I am new to the car, the house has a circlip, the hose is attached to a plastic inlet ,
question 1 , can the house be loose, my car is in a non heated garage and the past 10 days or so the night time temp has been -5F
Question 2, is there other connections that can be looked at, like the other side of the plastic inlet that I can not see
Question 3, I have veiwed some of the pics of full rad leaks with the fins soiled, mine does not have that, what would a rad leak look like and would it leak more on start up and at full temp.
Any help with this will be great.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:05 AM
Originally Posted by X50Beast
new to the forum, and the car, I have a 2003 X50TT, my problem just happened, I drove the car about 10 days ago, parked in my garage, and today noticed, green fluid on the right front lower dam and on the ground, I veiwed the inside and there is just a little residue in the deepest corner. The drip is about 1 every hour,
as I am new to the car, the house has a circlip, the hose is attached to a plastic inlet ,
question 1 , can the house be loose, my car is in a non heated garage and the past 10 days or so the night time temp has been -5F
Question 2, is there other connections that can be looked at, like the other side of the plastic inlet that I can not see
Question 3, I have veiwed some of the pics of full rad leaks with the fins soiled, mine does not have that, what would a rad leak look like and would it leak more on start up and at full temp.
Any help with this will be great.

See the link in my post above (#8). I think this can happen to any of the hoses...

Old 03-18-2011, 06:15 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Why do both and why replace the hoses? If the radiator is bad replace that. If a hose is bad replace it. If the other radiator isn't leaking leave it alone. It's not as though you have to drop the engine IF it has to be replaced at some time in the future. Access only requires removal of the bumper cover. Why spend money and time on something when you don't have to? Some people say if one goes the other will soon, but I don't buy it.

If it's the radiator, be careful when sourcing it. Many parts stores list the NA 996 radiator as fitting the TT, but it doesn't. I'll try and dig up the right AKG part number later.

Last edited by deckman; 03-18-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:18 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
Maybe not the exact same problem, but mine ended up being this..

Oh yes.. I did!

Old 03-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by $manager
I have had hoses split and radiators let go. Strangest thing was one of them weeped like yours. Could smell but never see it. Finally took it out and had pressure tested......they could not find anything either but there was residue down at the lower seam...figured a hose was somehow weeping and it was just gathering or pooling at the seam.

Wrong.

Shortly thereafter it did finally let go and separated right at that seam.

I'd just do them both plus the hoses....piece of mind and all that.... I hate being a couple hundred miles from home wondering what a flat bed would run to get the car back to my house......kinda ruins the fun of driving!
Same thing here. I think it may have to do with when it gets warm then when hot it closes up again. I just change both fronts myself.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by deckman
Why do both and why replace the hoses? If the radiator is bad replace that. If a hose is bad replace it. If the other radiator isn't leaking leave it alone. It's not as though you have to drop the engine IF it has to be replaced at some time in the future. Access only requires removal of the bumper cover. Why spend money and time on something when you don't have to? Some people say if one goes the other will soon, but I don't buy it.
I beat the snot out of my car and if the rad dumps all the coolant you will find yourself driving though all that coolant. When my coolant pipe let go over the motor I nearly went into a uncontrolled spin. I will pass on that joy ride for the 400 bucks and little labor that's involved when you are in there anyway..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak... smell it left front...