996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Car won't boost above 0.5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bad107
After they fixed those things the car is boosting properly!

Couple issues

1) small hissing noise from the passenger side as the car spools up...not sure if its a leak or its the new turbos...will check my EBC to make sure its holding 1.3 steady when I leave work

2) car is not any faster even though i added $10k of parts...injectors, intake system, headers and alpha 28s lol....when i floor it, my brockway is saying 10.7!! Retune is needed ASAP!!!! Going to durametric over the weekend and send me results to Dan/Scott ASAP!!!

Thanks Markski for all your help!!!!!

Dude you have a boost leak!!!!!!!! After the turbo before the TB. The maf is telling the ecu that you are moving more air then is really getting in the motor.....That is why you are running so rich........ Your tech need to get on the ball..Or you are not telling the hole story..

Old 10-08-2010, 07:22 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Dude you have a boost leak!!!!!!!! After the turbo before the TB. The maf is telling the ecu that you are moving more air then is really getting in the motor.....That is why you are running so rich........ Your tech need to get on the ball..Or you are not telling the hole story..
nah its the tuning man they can straighten it out with software

Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
bad107,

First does the car idle high? shut off the A/C when checking. That is the second time for that one.. If not then try this, unplug your maf drive the car see what your afr's are.. dont beat the **** out of it but bring it on boost, low boost setting them compare afr's.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:05 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
there are some more leaks on the car that need to get sorted out.

Intake hose kept coming off the passenger side turbo...not good

I met up with bmoores and we (he)fixed the hose and did some runs but the hose quickly came off again. I got the car to my house, took off the wheel and fixed the hose again. Dropped the car off at the mechanic this morning and having them sort them the leaks etc...

Old 10-12-2010, 01:06 AM
there are some more leaks on the car that need to get sorted out.

Intake hose kept coming off the passenger side turbo...not good

I met up with bmoores and we (he)fixed the hose and did some runs but the hose quickly came off again. I got the car to my house, took off the wheel and fixed the hose again. Dropped the car off at the mechanic this morning and having them sort them the leaks etc...
Please anwser my questions. So you can get pointed in the right direction, many of us have been down the road you are on. Where are your afr's now? If the leak was per turbo the idle should have been rough as *****, yet I don't remember you mentioning that..

Old 10-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Please anwser my questions. So you can get pointed in the right direction, many of us have been down the road you are on. Where are your afr's now? If the leak was per turbo the idle should have been rough as *****, yet I don't remember you mentioning that..
I made him do log.. his idle afrs were fine ...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-12-2010, 07:00 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
The idle was all over the place until we put the hose back on. That sorted the idle out. There is a leak somewhere else for sure apart from the turbo inlet hose. I'm sure the shop will lower the motor and check the rest of the car.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
I made him do log.. his idle afrs were fine ...
I was asking if the idle was high. Not the afr's reads at idle.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by bmoores
The idle was all over the place until we put the hose back on. That sorted the idle out. There is a leak somewhere else for sure apart from the turbo inlet hose. I'm sure the shop will lower the motor and check the rest of the car.
The shop should have smoke tested the motor on out of the car. Then in the car. My car had some resent afr's/boost issues and it turned out that after smoking the car one of my intercooler welds had a crack about 9'' long. found with smoke the compressed air would not build up enough psi to make noise.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I was asking if the idle was high. Not the afr's reads at idle.
sorry the idle was fine on the logs he sent... I think all that happened after that.... but it seems like the problem is between the airbox and the turbos... they put on an intake... did a bunch of odd insertions of aluminum tubes thinking it collapses under boost ... " I was like? " pre turbo ... collapses.. making a woosh sound...( paraphrasing )....
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-12-2010, 12:40 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
sorry the idle was fine on the logs he sent... I think all that happened after that.... but it seems like the problem is between the airbox and the turbos... they put on an intake... did a bunch of odd insertions of aluminum tubes thinking it collapses under boost ... " I was like? " pre turbo ... collapses.. making a woosh sound...( paraphrasing )....
mark
All true...

mechanics pressure tested (the right way - markski way) up to 25 lbs and said it was good.

Problem was the intake...

So my intake pipe is 3 inches...we didn't use the transition hoses from vivid since they wouldn't reach so my mechanic had a piece of exhaust steel made to transition down to the diameter of turbo...then a silicon piece connect the steel piece to the turbo.

The problem was the silicone connection to the turbo. My mechanics think the silicone tube was too thick...its not flexible and needs to be so it keeps sliding off no matter what clamp you use.

They are looking getting a different piece.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:52 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
The problem was the silicone connection to the turbo. My mechanics think the silicone tube was too thick...its not flexible and needs to be so it keeps sliding off no matter what clamp you use.

They are looking getting a different piece.

Makes me feel better. I just thought I needed to hit the weights!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:24 PM
The shop should have smoke tested the motor on out of the car. Then in the car. My car had some resent afr's/boost issues and it turned out that after smoking the car one of my intercooler welds had a crack about 9'' long. found with smoke the compressed air would not build up enough psi to make noise.
smoke tested?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:06 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
smoke tested?
Special machine to force smoke into the intake track or wherever..if there are any leaks, you will see smoke coming out somewhere...handy, but can be tricky too. Just because you see smoke doesn't mean you will find the leak right away!!! You still have to hunt, but at least you are hunting in the right neighborhood!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
Special machine to force smoke into the intake track or wherever..if there are any leaks, you will see smoke coming out somewhere...handy, but can be tricky too. Just because you see smoke doesn't mean you will find the leak right away!!! You still have to hunt, but at least you are hunting in the right neighborhood!!!
I saw this guy driving a 78 Caddy that must have had a really bad boost leak inside of his car. Smoke was pouring out of his windows!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car won't boost above 0.5