996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

As the Turbo turns(or doesn't)...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
As the Turbo turns(or doesn't)...

My saga of lost boost continues like a bad soap opera. In brief, my car which normally made .9-1.0 is now only doing .4. Changed the DV's and tore the connecting hose while doing so but all is OK with that now but it didn't fix boost problem. Left the car today at a local dealer where they did an exam of hoses, etc leading in and around engine area for leaks or bad clamps and they said that all looked OK. They connected to the computer and got code P1249, which is boost pressure control. The service manager told me this meant there was a problem with the computer, and I should refer to my software maker as it wasn't stock and they could do no more. Matt at By Design suggested I have them pressure test the hoses in the turbo system, which they haven't responded to yet (lunch break). Kevin at Alamo Turbo's was quite informative about all the things it could be, but it is frustrating as hell not knowing what to do next or who to take it to. Anyone have positive experience with NY-area shop for further evaluation? Thanks, just venting.

Old 07-15-2003, 12:31 PM
David(Va) is on a distinguished road
Can't you just have the computer put back to stock temporarily?

Old 07-15-2003, 12:51 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I don't thinkthat means theres somethng wrong with the DME. Was there a positive or negative boost deviation code?

Old 07-15-2003, 01:39 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
They didn't say about positive or negative, but I will ask. I think it's premature to reset the DME.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:14 PM
Banned
CrazyBlu is on a distinguished road
How about checking your O2 sensors.
If one is bad, wouldn't the ECU pull
back timing and boost?

Just babbling...

E

Old 07-15-2003, 05:06 PM
David(Va) is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Red Devil
They didn't say about positive or negative, but I will ask. I think it's premature to reset the DME.
My point being, if your back to stock the dealer should have no issues with addressing the problem, if it stll exists.

Old 07-15-2003, 07:09 PM
drbill will become famous soon enough
Jim, i remember having this conversation with you when you purchased the car. having the mods internally are super until a problem like this arises. i have to think going back to stock and bringing it to authorized dealer is only way to go. you are not tracking the car therefore why not go back to stock and eliminate undue stress.

Old 07-16-2003, 03:09 AM
All I need to do is go to a different dealer, unless they have some kind of connected computer network. There is nothing visually about my car that indicates engine mods, with the result being they may re-flash my ECU, killing my program(which hopefully still exists). I'd then have to start all over with that and would rather keep checking basics first. Bill, as far as returning the car to stock permanently, I couldn't live with it. I bought it for the way it was(and will be again) b/c the stock car didn't impress me (no offense).

Old 07-16-2003, 08:30 AM
BCS996TT is on a distinguished road
Jim, you have PM....*NM*

NM

Old 07-16-2003, 10:03 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Doc, have you changed out your DV's. It sounds like a DV could be possibly stuck open. Check all the hose connections around the DV's rubber manifold.

Old 07-16-2003, 10:12 AM
YSITSMN is on a distinguished road
Usally when the DVS stick open your car will over boost in the spike and then fall off really quick. In my S4 the cluch went out and would not alow the car to build boost Figurre that one out. All it did was slip.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:29 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by YSITSMN
Usally when the DVS stick open your car will over boost in the spike and then fall off really quick. In my S4 the cluch went out and would not alow the car to build boost Figurre that one out. All it did was slip.
That is because the amount of boost is usually reliant on how much load is generated by your car. Try revving your car in neutral @ WOT (no load) and see how much boost you make, versus having it in 4th gear and going WOT and see how much boost you make (full load).

When your clutch was slipping, you took the load of your car and drivetrain off the motor, because it was no longer connected. So you were basically revving it in neutral.

In my case, revving in neutral I can get maybe 1-2psi, in 4th @ WOT 30psi here I come...

-m

Old 07-17-2003, 03:31 AM
Problem is fixed! The hose that connects to the DV's was loose/off at its end connection away from the DV's. Stupid thing is I had that hose replaced when I had the DVs replaced 2 weeks ago. Second, the dealer should have seen it on their "diagnostic & visual". How F@#$%%ing incompetent these people are. Any way, replaced Porsches crappy clamp with a screw clamp and Bam! 1.0 bar just like that. Glad its fixed, pissed at these other idiots.

Old 07-17-2003, 04:46 AM
Sean is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Red Devil
Problem is fixed!
Happy to know that its resolved Jim. I bet you're happy to have your beast bak in fighting shape!

Old 07-17-2003, 07:06 AM
TSP-MIAMI is on a distinguished road
Hey devil. You are right , there is no exuse of the dealers incompotence. We have to fix or repair dealers F@#% UPS all the time here at our shop. It really makes no sense. You have all the right to be pissed !!

I was going to refer to you to call Autosport Designs in Mineola. If there is a problem that needs to be found and fixed they can do it.

Glad you are ok now.

Theo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: As the Turbo turns(or doesn't)...