996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

End user tuning.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:25 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Risky business experimenting with tuning a $15k engine replacement. Use a good known tune on the Porsche and get a cheap car to mess with! Cost of ownership isn't bad unless engine or trans breaks.

My $.02.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:26 AM
Basel will become famous soon enough
Im not too worried. I have experience tuning my toyota and a couple of 350Zs and a subaru WRX. Given though its a learning thing for me, still im pretty confident of not ruining anything.

I am doing my first from scratch tune for my MR2 soon. that is probably going to be a real test of abilities. i already have a few VE fuel and spark maps in theory on paper after crunching numbers. but we shall see.

I found a really cheap 993TT for real cheap. but has a blown engine. (im guessing rods or crank) probably a good learning experience for starters and it should work out cheaper then a running example. am i right in saying all Porsche cars are air cooled up until the 996 which is watercooled. that may be a little bit of an issue.
how hard is it to convert to water cooling? been done?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:08 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Basel
Im not too worried. I have experience tuning my toyota and a couple of 350Zs and a subaru WRX. Given though its a learning thing for me, still im pretty confident of not ruining anything.

I am doing my first from scratch tune for my MR2 soon. that is probably going to be a real test of abilities. i already have a few VE fuel and spark maps in theory on paper after crunching numbers. but we shall see.

I found a really cheap 993TT for real cheap. but has a blown engine. (im guessing rods or crank) probably a good learning experience for starters and it should work out cheaper then a running example. am i right in saying all Porsche cars are air cooled up until the 996 which is watercooled. that may be a little bit of an issue.
how hard is it to convert to water cooling? been done?
All 911's are air cooled up to the 996. Some other Porsches are water cooled.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:27 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
You can do the programming with WinOLS, but you need all of the check sums and such which are not free in most cases. Numerous guys in the B5 S4 world are figuring out the Motronic ECU on those cars. But the tables are most likely different and you would not know which map was which. The maps are labeled like (KFMIRL for Engine Load Desired). It is really difficult to be able to identify what each map does. For fueling alone you are looking at a bunch or maps. It isn't an easy task. I would not suggest it if your intention is just to have tuning freedom or saving money because you will spend years figuring it out when you could pay a tuner to custom tune. If you are looking into selling tunes, than it can be a great way to go. But be aware of the time it will take to recoupe your cost in research on this as a buisness venture.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Cough Cough - www.vrtuned.com

Last edited by vividracing; 02-02-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:38 PM
alot of people i know use a softronic tune. What im aiming for is a little wilder. I fiddle alot and my set ups usually change with the the wind. theres always something being added or taken off.

its just been difficult to try crazy things on my engine because of limitations in engine control. so far its been mostly messing with suspension setup and geometry, and distibutor and fuel tuning. (with the odd anti lag setup).

proefi is looking more like what im looking for . and its pretty good value for money and its almost perfect for what I need. If the resulotion is good and the interface is good then it might be where im going to go for the ECU for my MR2 when the engine is back in.

Im getting a job pretty soon (almost dont with college.) so after i get a porsche and finish off my track car im (probably) going to get a proefi ecu for it.

Ive driven a 996tt. how does the 993 compare I havent gotten a chance to drive one yet. I havent found any good running 993TTs for sale yet.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vividracing
How is this tuning your own car?

Maybe I'm missing something but this just looks like a flash of a tune others modify.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:03 PM
racegate is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if ProEFI makes a harness for the 996TT to use their ECU?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 PM
theyre site says something about a plug and play kit for 996 and 997.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Sir,
your looking for an answer that maybe 2 or 3 people successfully did it on a P car... if that... and those are hard core P car tuners... what makes you think you can get a plug and play ready to go set up that doesn't exist ... and if it does its only reserved for the few that actually made it work... and those units are not usually for sale... mind you that in some cases you still need to numb the stock dme so the piggy back can work...
Not trying to be harsh on you but that is the truth... give it up and let the pros do what they do best.... worry about getting a good kit on your car because from the feedback I get no one knows how to install, test, and fine tune these kits in Kuwait...
good luck
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 10-28-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:34 AM
Car for sale. 996tt blown engine. Drives Great! Rod went through case, engine unusable. Don't have the $15 - $20 grand to replace. My loss your gain!

Future?

Old 10-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
The Piggyback systems will only lead to more problems because they cannot be set right. I don't know if Switzer will come in, but from my understanding is they had a ProEFI on the Sledgehammer but removed it? I use a different setup using HKS pieces but I also have Justin Nenni behind the wiring and tuning. But like Mark said there are very few who have done aftermarket successfully. Just stick and work with a good tuner and you will be fine. We made 843rwhp on my car with Tony @ EPL.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Get a Unichip, there are also universal AEM EMS, HKS, or you could get a Motec. You will spend so many hours wasting time. Unless you have some crazy hybrid engine setup with giant turbos and this is a full track car, I would not even attempt a stand alone. All piggyback computers have been proven failures compared to flashing the OEM ECU.

I have researched ECU flashing and all the companies that make tools. Like others have said, you will probably spend $50K on tools alone.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:50 AM
piggyback, whats all this talk abotu piggy back. i thought proefi was a standalone ecu. i would be very disappointed if it were a piggyback. ok i would be happy if it were a very capable piggyback.

I dont have plans as to what im going to do to the car but its always nice to know you can. I like to know exactly what my car is doing at any given moment and just datalogging isnt good enough.

marksi: to be honest no one knows how to do anything to porsches in kuwait.
My friends porsche is probably one of the most powerful porsches in kuwait for its level of tune. Reason being is we decided to take the time to learn the car, found a million leaks, and the EBC was set up wrong, and well alot of things were ruined. but im pretty confident the car is where is should be right now. competent installers are hard to come by here so we end up doing everything ourselves.

and like i said the point of a standalone ecu is flexibility, not power.

Im still confused, so proefi is a standalone or a piggyback?

Old 10-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by raineycd
Car for sale. 996tt blown engine. Drives Great! Rod went through case, engine unusable. Don't have the $15 - $20 grand to replace. My loss your gain!

Future?
Just to clarify, my car is fine and NOT for sale! lol I was just being sarcastic and posting a humorous "ad" in response to "wild" tuning!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: End user tuning.