996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Easiest way to replace wood dash trim strips 03 996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:39 PM
crash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NBTBRV8
You have to expect this to crack. It is a natural product that expands and contracts at a different rate to the material it is stuck too. Plus it will fade badly too over time. You've got a near 10 year old car and this would be wear and tear.
I call complete BS. I've had lots of cars, sports cars, etc. It is NOT common on cars for the dashes to all crack with minimal mileage and sun exposure. This is a huge failure on Porsche's part for durability.

That being said, the carbon fiber interior does the same thing in these cars. The cars carbon is all cracked, warped, etc. Its clearly very low quality interior trim.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:42 AM
jimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the rough
I've decided to replace the cracking wood trim with Carbon Fiber pieces. Which one of the board sponsors have the best quality stuff for reasonable prices?

Old 02-23-2015, 10:04 AM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
basically every carbon manufacture ive seen has rape level pricing on their parts.

I have a lot of Rottec bits and have been very impressed with the quality. They are probably the "least" expensive. There is also a German supplier but they charge you tons of VAT and shipping to export so Rottec always ends up being the least expensive.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:24 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crash41301
I call complete BS. I've had lots of cars, sports cars, etc. It is NOT common on cars for the dashes to all crack with minimal mileage and sun exposure. This is a huge failure on Porsche's part for durability.

That being said, the carbon fiber interior does the same thing in these cars. The cars carbon is all cracked, warped, etc. Its clearly very low quality interior trim.
i agree, you cant call something a wear item when it doesnt have any moving parts, never touches anything or moves in any way, especially when its inside the car ! if its damaged due to negligence fair enough but when its splitting because of a bad design or a substandard quality backing material then they really should do something about it...in an ideal world anyway, i certainly wouldnt hold my breath

Old 02-23-2015, 04:23 PM
jimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by daedalus
basically every carbon manufacture ive seen has rape level pricing on their parts.

I have a lot of Rottec bits and have been very impressed with the quality. They are probably the "least" expensive. There is also a German supplier but they charge you tons of VAT and shipping to export so Rottec always ends up being the least expensive.
I'm going with MACarbon to replace both interior door pulls and pocket (map) lids. Hope it turns out well. I'll report back in a few weeks.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:04 AM
realoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud ofrealoregondave has much to be proud of
wood trim nightmare

LOL bringing back an old thread here but damn it i spent $700 on beautiful trim from an 02 turbo to replace the bulk of the cracking garbage in my Millennium and in less than four months a lot of it has already cracked and started to delaminate. I'm carefully re-glueing it to prevent further cracking but the dark burl package was like $7k and it is total junk. Prices are insane for factory replacements. Eventually i'll see if i can get local shop to re-wrap pieces in leather...what a joke!

Old 08-03-2015, 12:28 PM
GXL
GXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of lightGXL is a glorious beacon of light
I gave up and bought black leather door pieces on EBay which match the dash and nicely contrast the savanna leather elsewhere on my car. Need to replace the center console, and looking to maybe do the same thing but the consoles are rarely leather wrapped and I have not come across one. Having searched for solutions for several years, I have seen recommendations and praise for Classic Nine Leather in Michigan and am considering getting the center console recovered in leather by them. The wood is beautiful but seemingly impossible to maintain, unless you lived in a low humidity climate where temperatures only fluctuated between 60 and 70 degrees.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:56 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche and some of their customers never learn. Porsche used to offer a leather dash which people in love with leather ordered. After a few year they buckled and cracked. Porsche stopped making them and warranty replacement were in current padded plastic. Wood is not a great material for car trim. Warping, cracking, etc are a never ending problem. Chances are PNCA is going to discontinue wood and replace it with something else as a warrantee replacement.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:50 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Porsche and some of their customers never learn. Porsche used to offer a leather dash which people in love with leather ordered. After a few year they buckled and cracked. Porsche stopped making them and warranty replacement were in current padded plastic. Wood is not a great material for car trim. Warping, cracking, etc are a never ending problem. Chances are PNCA is going to discontinue wood and replace it with something else as a warrantee replacement.
HUH...the last 991 turbo I was in was using leather dash. Mine is leather, 11 years old and looks brand new.