996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Exhaust decision

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:29 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I liked the Cargraphics set -up,has 200 cats,good sound,top quality and you can live with it every day.....I do not know what the power difference would be compared to the others above BUT I know from being around a few dynos and seeing swaps, that you can do worse with some others.......

Old 12-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by krpt176
Fortunately for you living in NJ you don't have to deal with CARB...not sure what the regulations are over there but no chance I pass CARB in California with 100 cell cats.
Makes it tougher and limits my choices even more...wondering if its even worth it for me.
Are you sure? I believe there are several members that have passed with 100 cell cats. The only real issue you would face is a visual if they know what they are looking for (typically not on a p-car).

Old 12-26-2010, 06:37 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
I have a cat less ep2 loud. A great growl and turbo whistle and really is not too loud at all. Anything less, and I'd definitely be wanting something louder. Drone is reasonable, but there like all exhausts of this nature in the low rpm band in higher gears.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 PM
krpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Are you sure? I believe there are several members that have passed with 100 cell cats. The only real issue you would face is a visual if they know what they are looking for (typically not on a p-car).
I cannot say that I am sure. There are also members who did not pass...one chimed in an exhaust thread I started. I guess realistically it comes down to do I want to take the chance.
After speaking with several shops out here many have said adamantly no way while a few have said yes. So again I cannot tell you with certainty yes or no.....

Old 12-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by krpt176
I cannot say that I am sure. There are also members who did not pass...one chimed in an exhaust thread I started. I guess realistically it comes down to do I want to take the chance.
After speaking with several shops out here many have said adamantly no way while a few have said yes. So again I cannot tell you with certainty yes or no.....
Also, several exhuast mfrs provide 200 cell cats as well. I can't imagine that would have trouble passing considering my 964 passes with those and a bypass pipe.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:42 PM
krpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to behold
Also, several exhuast mfrs provide 200 cell cats as well. I can't imagine that would have trouble passing considering my 964 passes with those and a bypass pipe.
You are correct....mostly what I have been researching and probably heading towards

Old 12-26-2010, 09:42 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I am surprised that the quality of the catalytic convert used in the exhausts gets virtually ZERO attention.

People toss out '100 cell' and '200 cell' as if this is an adequate metric of quality...

I guess I will just say that not all "100 cell" cats are equal, and cheap exhausts will have a harder time giving the service life of, say, a Europipe exhaust.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by ard
I am surprised that the quality of the catalytic convert used in the exhausts gets virtually ZERO attention.

People toss out '100 cell' and '200 cell' as if this is an adequate metric of quality...

I guess I will just say that not all "100 cell" cats are equal, and cheap exhausts will have a harder time giving the service life of, say, a Europipe exhaust.
So are you saying some 100 cell cats can pass an emissions test with better results than 200 cell cats. If so, please enlighten me. Our discussion was primarily based upon CA emissions testing, not the longevity or quality of build on the actual cat.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:24 PM
So are you saying some 100 cell cats can pass an emissions test with better results than 200 cell cats. If so, please enlighten me. Our discussion was primarily based upon CA emissions testing, not the longevity or quality of build on the actual cat.

Ard can chime in and correct me if I am wrong but either you are referring to the HJC cats or the fact that Europipe uses 100 cell cats which cover the same surface area as the stock 300 cell than apparently they are equal. I am by no means a mechanic or physics guru but if this in fact passes the CARB and causes zero CEL issues, great. I just have not heard an explanation why and I am curious.
Now being that AWE also uses the same HJC, (unless I am mistaken), why is Europipe superior? I do not want to hijack the thread but I am eager to learn and maybe this is for a different thread....

Old 12-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Past CA smog with my used Miktek Sport (100cell) and this exhaust probably has >25k miles. But I would do a catless cross or Europipe swap if $ was low enough.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:27 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
Europipe 100 cell cats will pass smog test because they use the best and biggest cats availible ,there is indeed a big quality difference in 100 cell cats.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:01 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
This thread pops up a lot: help me with choosing a new exhaust.

Here is the issue in a nutshell...superb options. One could say too many choices.

EP is super durable and proven.

Switzer, Speedtech, Markski, Proto, etc. All good stuff. There are others yet, also good.

I have a Switzer and love my unit, but others love theirs. I got mine before the speedtech crossflow, Markski's, and some others were on the market.
Look at pricing, etc. Warranty, etc. One person's drone is another person's rumble...so try to hear and experience them in person via PCA events, this forum, and other forums. All the individuals involved in the above named brands are top tier "good" people. Many of these units are beautiful works of mechanical art. The welds are just amazing on some of them. I like that, but it may not make any difference in durability or performance.

Good luck.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-27-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:44 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Not one mention of Fabspeed yet. Interesting...

Old 12-27-2010, 08:52 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
EP2 quiet. All the power and quality and easy to live with.
^ agreed

Old 12-27-2010, 08:58 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Shotcaller
Protomotive 3" X-pipe Exhaust System...Todd K send it to a customer in overseas
Where in Fl do you live? ever make it out to the PBIR track? Jan PCA event coming up, do you have this exhaust? would love to hear this exhaust in person??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust decision