996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New Throttle Body??!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
New Throttle Body??!!

I had my shop test for a boost / vacuum leak since I"m getting MAF issues ... they're suggesting replacing the throttle body and MAF right off the bat ...

The Durametric says the MAF is around 1.4V ... so I suppose that's not the culprit here ... and I dont wanna pay for a new throttle body and its not the problem ...

Could anyone give me some tips on this ... is there anything that can be done before coughing up for a new throttle body ...

Old 12-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
pressure test from the turbos.... all your prblems will show up...
I scream when installers of the products I sell do not pressure test the car... then I get blamed for a "slow" car... then after weeks of going back and forth with the shops they finally do it right.... find that the TB is leaking.... Dvs are leaking... check valves are busted.. etc etc etc....
DO not do a smoke test... that will not show the problem.... pressure test from the turbos by blocking one off .... pressure testing the other.... up to 25 psi.. if it doesnt hold ofr at least a minute its leaking... tale water with soap and spray it .. look for bubbles..
what aftermarket and or have you had changed on top recently?

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Bone effing stock ... I'd like to get this out of the way before doing anything ...

Old 12-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
wow...
well pressure test it...
its not that hard... but the techs do not like to listen.. they have their own theories lol just like in your case...
trust me... it needs to be done right... then you can go after the hardware....

click to view

Old 12-25-2010, 11:25 AM
What would be the likely culprits here?

Its the occassional stalling slowing down to a stop light ...

Old 12-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
Lwfw

click to view

Old 12-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Markski ... bone stock ...

Should I ask them to clean the TB ?

Old 12-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Basic Sponsor
could be a boost leak....
I would start with a test then go after the hardware..

click to view

Old 12-26-2010, 04:10 AM
Seem to be boosting without a problem ... vac leak?

Old 12-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
Seem to be boosting without a problem ... vac leak?

Do a boost leak test as Mark has very clearly stated must be done. Don't get confused with the word "Boost" , the test will highlight a leak that can just as easily be a leak when not on boost. So your not just testing for boost you are checking all the piping and components that have boost through then and also the check valves etc.
Well worth doing
Frank

Old 12-26-2010, 06:49 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Markski my car seems to unable to hold 1.6 bar,one time it will boost 1.6 then later on it will only boost 1.44 bar. Akram has done a pressure test with smoke(up to 30 psi) & found a small leak from one of the DV's. Fixed that but still have the same problem,now he is going to check the turbos which only have 2000-2500mls on them to see if there is any play in them. What do you think is going on. TIA

Old 12-26-2010, 07:28 AM
pwarnery will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
What would be the likely culprits here?

Its the occassional stalling slowing down to a stop light ...
My car used to stall coming to a stop. I did a boost leak test and sure enough I had a slit in the F hose. Replaced it and off we went no more stalling. Like every body else says. Do a boost leak test first.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Tech says its indeed the throttle body ... he quoted me $1100 for the tb ... asked him to clean it .. but he refused ... I'll get a second opinion.

If it indeed is the throttle body, where would be the best place to source this? part number? ... and what would this cost me?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
Ask around on 6speed Manu guys upgraded to 75mm or bigger tbs. Pick one up cheap.
I doubt it's that especially when the tech is quoting u $1100. A 75 mm tb is $325 let alone a stock one.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:23 AM
What's the downside of a 75mm tb?

Is this plug and play? Easily DIY?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Throttle Body??!!