996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

California members: Passing emissions with aftermarket exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:15 PM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
Thanks for the feedback. I still have the stock exhaust just in case.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Aftermarket exhaust won't pass visual

Originally Posted by su_maverick
Thanks for the feedback. I still have the stock exhaust just in case.
CARB had cracked down big time on visual inspections. Almost all aftermarket exhausts will fail. There are only two that might get by. RUF that uses a factory exhaust but replaces all the internals and Europipe which looks factory except for the TIG welded sections which most smog shops don't even know the difference. Most smog shops will tell you up front you are going to fail visual, but some shops flunk you and report it to the State. Play it safe and put the factory exhaust back on.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:25 AM
techweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant future
I got my car last October and went straight to the smog station I use in Culver City. I have an unknown muffler -- likely an early Fabspeed -- the smog tech I went to didn't look under the car, just sniffed it and passed it. Everything seems to depend on the station

Old 03-11-2016, 03:12 PM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
This is what the RPi looks like

Old 03-20-2016, 01:26 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Just my .02, I have a Europipe on a 997 Turbo and passed everything except the post cat o2 sensors - turned off with my tune to a faulty cargraphic exhaust I had before the EP. Smog tech did not even flinch because the EP looks factory. I since had the o2 sensors turned back on and all is good.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:29 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I think if you have a shiny exhaust your going to get called out on the visual regardless of the test results. The new tests are pure OBDII sensor + visual and they no longer allow for one failed sensor.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:44 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
CA smog check

Originally Posted by gmoney
I think if you have a shiny exhaust your going to get called out on the visual regardless of the test results. The new tests are pure OBDII sensor + visual and they no longer allow for one failed sensor.
After going to the same smog shop over 8 years, with the ever popular bright shiny stainless exhaust, he just came over a said you don't even want me look at it and you and I don't want to report a visual failure, because it's off to a state smog referee after you fix everything, and they are really picky right down to air filters. Call Europipe had them build me a quiet 100 cell system. Put the Europipe stamping and serial number on top out of sight, and had them stamp in the stock PCA part number on the bottom in plain view. That worked even with flashed ECU.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:53 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
fear mongering. i passed visual and obd. the obd is the biggest deal. not the visual. but it certainly helps to continue to go to the same shop with all of your vehicles and be remembered. technically all aftermarket parts are *supposed* to have a carb number but that is if they are going strictly by the book which many star test only stations are with the greater scrutiny of late.. that doesn't mean you can't pass visual with an aftermarket exhaust, it simply means you are exposing yourself to deeper inspection or worse if they want to make a big deal out of it. but if your a regular customer at a star only test station and your car is up to snuff ( if not sniff lol ) you'll be fine.

if you don't know your tester? then yeah, i'd just be safe and swap for the oem for the test.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:43 PM
I'll probably swap out to stock when/if I get the job and its lined up. The RPi isnt blingy but Id rather not take my chances since I would have out of state tags before getting them swapped over.

Here is how it looks on the car. It has cats and all O2s are functional.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:25 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
With the exception of catless system, how many smog station know what to look for as an aftermarket exhaust unless what is under the bumper is very radical.
I am fortunate in that my smog guy is a Porsche guy also and we spend more time talking about cars than smog

Old 03-22-2016, 11:46 AM
Only thing Im worried about are the v-band clamps giving it away. Its not a 'shiny' exhaust by any means. What area is your guy in rx? Im most likely looking at the SJ area if this thing goes through.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:17 PM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Su_maverick min has the vband clamps on it . Each visual obviously is different between each smog station. Mine's normal check if for a cat as the confirmation. Since CA is OBD testing now, everything comes out in the test.
If you are looking for a test center, you'd have to drive to Oroville, CA which is about 4 hrs from SJ. I can ask my other shop buddy in Sac on his porsche friendly testing too. Not sure if your area needs a star smog station or not.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:02 PM
Ill check and see. Thanks!

Old 03-23-2016, 09:51 AM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I passed on the polished option on my speedtech

So the tips look nice, and the rest, well it blends in real nice since it's not polished. Over time it blends even better

Originally Posted by Duane996tt
After going to the same smog shop over 8 years, with the ever popular bright shiny stainless exhaust, he just came over a said you don't even want me look at it and you and I don't want to report a visual failure, because it's off to a state smog referee after you fix everything, and they are really picky right down to air filters. Call Europipe had them build me a quiet 100 cell system. Put the Europipe stamping and serial number on top out of sight, and had them stamp in the stock PCA part number on the bottom in plain view. That worked even with flashed ECU.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Enclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to beholdEnclavet is a splendid one to behold
Passed no problem with Speedtech 3.0 with 100 cats. No sniffer and just the OBD check.

For the visual I would just go to the place first and ask them if they will fail you for the exhaust. If they will just dont do it with them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: California members: Passing emissions with aftermarket exhaust?