996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Mirror Question - Can someone confirm?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:44 AM
bsprad is on a distinguished road
Mirror Question - Can someone confirm?

My driver's side and passenger side mirrors are slightly different. The driver's side glass has a black trim/band whereas the passenger's does not. This is on the edge of the piece of glass, not the mirror housing.

Can anyone confirm that theirs is the same? I'm just wondering if the mirror has been replaced at some time.

Thanks

Old 01-11-2011, 09:00 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
That means your drivers side mirror is a dimming mirror, and your pass side mirror does not dim electronically.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:00 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
That is the "anti-dazzle" mirror on the driver side. It prevents bright lights behind from blinding you. It was an option, look for code M266 on the sticker under the front hood.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the replies. I thought that it was probably associated with the dimming feature, but I wanted to make sure.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:51 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hi,I have the same.....Its the feature for reduced glare

Old 01-11-2011, 12:52 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
I can also confirm, and I can also confirm I had the same suspicion, until now. Never really bothered me though: / Thanks for the info guys!

Justin

Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Is it possible to upgrade the passenger side to a dimming mirror? I always thought it was kind of weird not having both dim. Heck even my Subaru has both of them dimming.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
I have the same thing and thought the pass might have been changed. I have not been bothered by lights in the pass mirror though.. Maybe the added distance? or the angle you set it?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
No it has not been changed.When I first noticed this stuff on my turbo mirror,I went right to the dealer.He did not even know the answer.So,he ordered a new pass. side one and it had no film on it either.Then he checked all the other 996 turbos that came in and found out that it is just the drivers side one with th film.......I guess they would have charged more for our cars if they did it on both sides......lol.......

Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 PM
As an aside (I think it's okay to hijack my own thread) if you adjust your mirrors to the "wide angle" view, you shouldn't have as much trouble with bright headlights. I switched a few years ago and I love it. See the links for an explanation. It takes a little time to get accustomed to it, but you will have virtually no blind spot.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features..._spots-feature

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/4234574

Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 AM
code7rpd has a spectacular aura aboutcode7rpd has a spectacular aura about
Not to jump on the thread but since we are talking about mirrors, is the passenger side mirror supposed to dip down when the car is put in reverse? I followed the directions in the owners manual but it does not work like its supposed to.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:18 PM
I couldn't get mine to work either. I followed the instructions carefully, but no dice. Any tips on getting this to work?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Same mirror scenario here, in terms of passenger side tilting down if you follow the instructions properly it should work, took me a few trys when I first had the car but I finally got it.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:54 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kwei
I can also confirm, and I can also confirm I had the same suspicion, until now. Never really bothered me though: / Thanks for the info guys!

Justin
I have the same mirror glass as well.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 PM
code7rpd has a spectacular aura aboutcode7rpd has a spectacular aura about
For the mirror tilting down, do you turn on the ignition, put the car in reverse, and then adjust the passenger side mirror to where you want it to tilt before hitting the memory button or do you just put the car in reverse, adjust the seats, and then hit the memory button while the mirror switch is set to the passenger side? I tried both ways but no dice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mirror Question - Can someone confirm?