996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2002 Turbo Direct Buy Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:36 AM
06911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 911mike
No the car doesn't get inspected from what I have been told. There is a 30 day wait period from the time you purchase just in case there is an existing issue.
Hey Mike,

I set up a contract with direct buy warranty (spoke with Eddie). i got a good rate, same type of contract as you. so far no problems. My main concern was not with complaints because every company that gave me a quote had complaints, you dont see people who get covered running online to write a review but after finding out that direct buy warranty is the actual contract company that made me feel more comfortable. i rather buy it from the warranty company than have to deal with 2 companys. for example if i buy from carchex they are just the seller, i would actually have to deal with the warranty company for filing a claim and whose not to say that carchex is going to tell me what ever they want since all they have to do make a sale and the warranty company would just deny me. bottom line im not running in circles. i liked what direct buy warranty had to offer me and im happy but time will tell who knows. hope this helps and good luck in finding protection.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 AM
JohnN is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 06911
Hey Mike,

I set up a contract with direct buy warranty (spoke with Eddie). i got a good rate, same type of contract as you. so far no problems. My main concern was not with complaints because every company that gave me a quote had complaints, you dont see people who get covered running online to write a review but after finding out that direct buy warranty is the actual contract company that made me feel more comfortable. i rather buy it from the warranty company than have to deal with 2 companys. for example if i buy from carchex they are just the seller, i would actually have to deal with the warranty company for filing a claim and whose not to say that carchex is going to tell me what ever they want since all they have to do make a sale and the warranty company would just deny me. bottom line im not running in circles. i liked what direct buy warranty had to offer me and im happy but time will tell who knows. hope this helps and good luck in finding protection.
Why does it sound like you WORK for DBW? lol.

I am interested in buying their warranty too. They quoted me 2100 for 2 years for my 69K mile 01 turbo. But I will not buy if they wont cover radiators/slave/accumulator/master/etc. Fidelity is 5500. DBW seems too good to be true, and that's usually the case.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM
JohnN is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 911mike
I have worked them down to $1800 for years and a $500 gas gift card. This is the elite package, no deductable, tire protection thrown in too. I am working a multiple car discount though. Let me know and I will provide my contact and get an even better deal.

Mike, how did you do with these guys? Did you buy?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:32 AM
06911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JohnN
Why does it sound like you WORK for DBW? lol.

I am interested in buying their warranty too. They quoted me 2100 for 2 years for my 69K mile 01 turbo. But I will not buy if they wont cover radiators/slave/accumulator/master/etc. Fidelity is 5500. DBW seems too good to be true, and that's usually the case.
It took a lot for me to make the initial purchase from them. I did not want to have a vehicle without some kind of warranty, this would be my first car with no current warranty on it. I was very detailed about the purchase and took every note down of what i was being informed. again i have not used to the plan, but they made me feel more comfortable than any other company i spoke to. Im not sure who fidelity is (there were a lot of companies that used the name fidelity). Last note, i have a buddy who purchased from carchex and got burned mainly hated dealing with brokers and 3rd party companies another reason i went with direct buy warranty cause they are not a broker and there are no 3rd parties from what eddie told me. any questions please let me know i will respond as soon as i can. thanks for your time.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:08 PM
FlyYellow will become famous soon enoughFlyYellow will become famous soon enough
geez - i have way too many insurance bills to voluntary pay for another... my 2 cents.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:37 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
It took a lot for me to make the initial purchase from them. I did not want to have a vehicle without some kind of warranty, this would be my first car with no current warranty on it. I was very detailed about the purchase and took every note down of what i was being informed. again i have not used to the plan, but they made me feel more comfortable than any other company i spoke to. Im not sure who fidelity is (there were a lot of companies that used the name fidelity). Last note, i have a buddy who purchased from carchex and got burned mainly hated dealing with brokers and 3rd party companies another reason i went with direct buy warranty cause they are not a broker and there are no 3rd parties from what eddie told me. any questions please let me know i will respond as soon as i can. thanks for your time.
What exactly will this warranty cover when you look at the exclusions as per the Direct Buy website as noted below?

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS CONTRACT: Scheduled Maintenance and recommended service and adjustments. Maintenance services and or parts recommended in the Vehicle Manufacturer’s Maintenance Schedule. Any of the following parts including but not limited to, throttle body, battery, battery cables, shock absorbers, struts, springs, manual transmissions components such as, clutch friction, clutch disc and pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch master and slave cylinder, manual and hydraulic linkages; thermostat, hoses, belts, pulleys, brake pads, brake shoes, tune-up parts, safety restraint systems; any and all fluids and reservoirs; fuses; circuit breakers; brake rotors and drums; emission systems; glass, lenses, head lamp and projection lamp assemblies, telephones, television / vcr, electronic and satellite transmitting / receiving devices, sealed beams, light bulbs, weather stripping, trim, moldings, bright metal, chrome, upholstery, carpet , zippers, cup holders, dash pad and vents, seat frame, paint, outside ornamentation, inside and outside door handles, mirrors, hinges, lift gate and hood supports, hubcaps/wheel covers, bumpers, body sheet metal and panels, body parts, frame, structural body parts, vinyl convertible tops, tires, wheels/rims, speakers, wiring.

Take a note of sentence "Any of the following parts including but not limited to". That pretty much says that nothing is covered if they don't feel like covering it......

Last edited by pwdrhound; 02-23-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:20 AM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
any questions please let me know i will respond as soon as i can. thanks for your time.
Sure.

How does "eddie" interpret this from the contract: "Any known or unknown pre-existing conditions with Your vehicle will result in a claim denial."

Any UNKNOWN pre-existing condition will result in claim denial. Let me state that again, an UNKNOWN PRE-EXISTING condition.

Would anything NOT be an unknown pre-existing condition? Unless it was a KNOWN pre-existing condition?

Send me $2000 and I'll provide you a full comprehensive lifetime warranty except "Any known or unknown pre-existing conditions with Your vehicle will result in a claim denial."

Old 02-24-2011, 10:59 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Centauro97
Sure.

How does "eddie" interpret this from the contract: "Any known or unknown pre-existing conditions with Your vehicle will result in a claim denial."

Any UNKNOWN pre-existing condition will result in claim denial. Let me state that again, an UNKNOWN PRE-EXISTING condition.

Would anything NOT be an unknown pre-existing condition? Unless it was a KNOWN pre-existing condition?

Send me $2000 and I'll provide you a full comprehensive lifetime warranty except "Any known or unknown pre-existing conditions with Your vehicle will result in a claim denial."

If it sounds too good to be true..... well you know the rest. I would only consider an "exclusionary policy" like that offered by Fidelity which specifically lists what is "NOT COVERED". There is no BS gotcha language like in this Direct Buy policy. The quote I got from Fidelity for their top of the line Platinum $0 deductible warranty was $2800/24k miles at the local Porsche dealer. There is also a $300 pre-purchase inspection that the dealer charges to check out the car before covering it. The only problem is the fact that as soon as the car is modded with a flash, turbos, etc., then the warranty is void. It won't void the warranty if your alternator, window regulator, headlight, powersteering pump, etc. goes out but if your engine goes boom or you tranny goes out then you are on your own... My car is a RUF 550Rturbo so the coverage would have been quite limited. If you had a stock car, this warranty would be great....

Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 AM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Centauro97
From the Direct Buy website for their "Platinum" policy:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS CONTRACT: Scheduled Maintenance and recommended service and adjustments. Maintenance services and or parts recommended in the Vehicle Manufacturer’s Maintenance Schedule. Any of the following parts including but not limited to, throttle body, battery, battery cables, shock absorbers, struts, springs, manual transmissions components such as, clutch friction, clutch disc and pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch master and slave cylinder, manual and hydraulic linkages; thermostat, hoses, belts, pulleys, brake pads, brake shoes, tune-up parts, safety restraint systems; any and all fluids and reservoirs; fuses; circuit breakers; brake rotors and drums; emission systems; glass, lenses, head lamp and projection lamp assemblies, telephones, television / vcr, electronic and satellite transmitting / receiving devices, sealed beams, light bulbs, weather stripping, trim, moldings, bright metal, chrome, upholstery, carpet , zippers, cup holders, dash pad and vents, seat frame, paint, outside ornamentation, inside and outside door handles, mirrors, hinges, lift gate and hood supports, hubcaps/wheel covers, bumpers, body sheet metal and panels, body parts, frame, structural body parts, vinyl convertible tops, tires, wheels/rims, speakers, wiring.

What's left? Common and expensive failures include the coolant connections failing on top of the engine, not covered under "any and all fluids and reservoirs". That pretty much covers the clutch accumulator and slave cylinder and master cylinder and all brake components and the coolant reservoir. I'm trying to think of what IS covered under this Platinum warranty.

And expect the "not limited to" phrase to bite you as well.

And then there's:
H. Any known or unknown pre-existing conditions with Your vehicle will result in a claim denial.

An "unknown" pre-existing condition. WOW! Just WOW! What wouldn't be an "unknown pre-existing condition"?

Run away.
Wow, this is such bulls***.
They might as well write in small print: "coverage may actually not cover anything"!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:05 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,There was a big thread on this about a month ago....Do yourself a favor,do a search and read it......I have never had a problem with a extended warranty on any of my Modified Porsches in the past,,,They usaully are worth it and have been for me....all it takes is one thing,be it any component,to pay for itself....Good Luck

Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
I have to think about a 3rd party extended warranty soon as well.

One question I had was whether there was any advantage of buying it through my local dealer (if I can get it for a reasonable price). Some do Easycare, some do Fidelity, etc. My thinking here is that I would potentially have some dealer help if the warranty company balks at paying downstream. Of course, I'm assuming that the dealer would try to help (since they sold me the warranty, and they want repeat customers), and that the warranty company would respond, since the dealer is a primary selling agent for them.

Any experiences to validate (or invalidate) this?

Old 02-26-2011, 10:04 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
You need to get familiar with extended warranties (or "mechanical breakdown insurance") in California. It is different than many other states. You cannot buy good coverage over the internet/phone/mail.

In terms of 'having the dealer on your side', that is a great goal. Buying from the salesman there, MIGHT lead to the service advisor treating you well, but is surely NOT any kind of assurance. It all depends on the SA and their philosophy.... do they view the customer as a 'mark' to be 'bled' at every opportunity? Or are they fair, recognize that the process is a two way street, and they need to share in the process?

I'd say it has to be driven through the service guy, your prior interactions with them, and what assurances they give you going forward.

And I'd only have a warranty if my car was totally stock

Old 02-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by ard
You need to get familiar with extended warranties (or "mechanical breakdown insurance") in California. It is different than many other states. You cannot buy good coverage over the internet/phone/mail.

In terms of 'having the dealer on your side', that is a great goal. Buying from the salesman there, MIGHT lead to the service advisor treating you well, but is surely NOT any kind of assurance. It all depends on the SA and their philosophy.... do they view the customer as a 'mark' to be 'bled' at every opportunity? Or are they fair, recognize that the process is a two way street, and they need to share in the process?

I'd say it has to be driven through the service guy, your prior interactions with them, and what assurances they give you going forward.

And I'd only have a warranty if my car was totally stock
I agree. I was going to purchase the Fidelity Platinum warranty for my car through the local Porsche dealer ($2800 for 2yr/24K with $0 deductible) and the sale rep advised me that as much as he'd like to make a commission off of selling me the policy he told me to save my money since my car was not stock and I would likely run into major roadblocks if I had any substantial claims since Fidelity would send a rep out to approve the fix.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:41 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,The above 'could' be right and it is not set in stone.It all 'depends' on your repore with the dealer/repair shop and how tight he is with the warranty company,,,which leads me to say this on MY experiences......If the dealer sells/pushes that warranty you bought,he most likey will work with you on some of the labor or parts because usually the warranty company will not come out unless its a major claim,like motor or trans..Even then they might not if the ticket is written up the RIGHT way...All in all,our engines are pretty trust worthy and can take alot,its all the other stuff in and on the car that adds up.AND with those things,I have never had a claim denied even if my motors modified on all my other Porsches I have had.I had a super charger on my 2002 911 and all my claims were paid during that period.I even blew a motor on that after it was flashed[no super charger at first] and Porsche paid for a new one...Its up to you on if its worth it....There are two sides; those who did get token care of and those who have not or just heard they couldnt. ...BUT if you do not have a repore with your servicing dealer or repair shop,I would talk to the person,usually finance manager,to feel him out....I think this has helped also over the yrs,I have always tipped my service people and mechanics which then they have taken care of me..But understand everyone has there own morals and principals..Maybe I have been lucky but I know it was always worth it for me to have one.....Also shop around,there is a big mark up.On my 2004 turbo it ranged from $3500 to $6000.All of them were accepted at my servicing dealers.You have to find out about that before you buy one...Just my experience.......Good Luck...

Old 02-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
Johnspeed, what company is your warranty with?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2002 Turbo Direct Buy Warranty