996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

to go catless or catted opinions needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Rollracer is on a distinguished road
How can you run catless and not have a stinky exhaust? Smells like rotten eggs. Unless electric car lol.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:15 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Had a 66 chevelle, 67 barracuda, 72 vette, 89 z28(I gutted cats) all these cars were pre cat and I gutted the camaro's myself. I didn't notice any bad smell with any of them. Atleast what you would except nothing hideous. No rotten egg smell as some guys say. But I want to make sure with this exhaust before I weld it all together than spending the 400 for 100 cell cats is justifiable.
I would rather avoid this extra expense if possible but don't want to drive around in something that the vapors will give me a headache and be forced to redo the welding work again to install two small cats.
That's all anybody back me up here?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't see how one car can smell and another one doesn't but who knows. I have buddies who say they don't notice the smell either. To me it was horrible I have to stay in my car for little while after pulling in garage, and forget about driving in traffic with windows down lol. I was actually surprised at how well my vibrant race cat cut down on the smell being its such high flow. 75% less smelly and no rotten eggs smell.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:27 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
I had no cats on my 996tt before my current exhaust and never noticed any smells at all. I did a few long trips with the family and my (overly) sensitive wife never mentioned anything either. I plan to go catless again if I downsize my piping to make up for the loss.

On the other hand, I have a 1977 bronco without cats. On that truck, you can smell it from 15 ft away.

I think it has a lot to do with the fuel conditions. The 996tt is a very very efficient running car and I doubt the ECU ever dumps much more fuel than will be burnt in the engine. The older carb'ed cars are more of the "close-enough" mentality.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:52 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rollracer
How can you run catless and not have a stinky exhaust? Smells like rotten eggs. Unless electric car lol.
Every performance car Ive owned has been catless and I never had a problem with smell. A proper tune key. Boosted car+catless=great.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:50 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
You guys rock!!!! Decision made, gutting everything!!
Will post seat of the pants results and what method I use. Contemplating just cutting it open and pulling the cats rather than drilling it all out. Unless you guys point me in another direction.
Will be comparing a full 3 inch straight thru system a fabspeed gen3 twin can and this soon to be gutted stock exhaust.
It won't be dyno numbers as I dont have access to one but I know what an aftermarket and stock exhausts feel like with a epl stage 2 flash on a k16 car. Hope to reclaim some of that quicker spool I lost while maintaining a quiet interior. Plus my costs, so far $150 for a used stock system. Keeping my original stock incase this all goes sideways.
Will keep you all posted
Thanks

Old 02-15-2011, 05:09 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Nothing like the smell of catless and race gas

Old 02-15-2011, 06:31 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI Gearhead,I am glad you have your mind made up now.....But..I have a stupid question,since performance is an issue.....How do you know how much you are going to gain taking all the cats out because you said you were not going to do the hole saw trick for the mufflers......Thus ,that might be your weak link,the mufflers,no matter if you take all the cats out or not...Just my thoughts to help you out.....

Old 02-15-2011, 06:48 PM
jdiesel has a spectacular aura aboutjdiesel has a spectacular aura about
a little late to the discussion but if i were and i was doing all the welding work I would flange the exhaust, it will probably take you an extra hour or so now but it gives you the option of changing out the cats to cat delete of 100 cell cats. Also, a better option for exhaust might be keeping the primaries and deleting the rest of the muffler, my friend ran this set up with good results.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 PM
The info I collected states that running a stock exhaust minus cats only you will gain back 80% of what any aftermarket will give you but still sound stock both outside and inside.
This info was validated from a tuner who runs this on his personal car as he too wanted to be able to make phone calls while driving.
I rather not say who as he himself is partnered up with other exhaust company's and I don't want to remove food off anybody's plate if you get my drift.
But he is very well respected and has the ability to test his results so I take his word like it's carved in stone.
Granted this is only 80% which is more than enough of a difference for me to buy a second oem exhaust and see for myself.
As far as running only the primary cats which would help emissions and any possible smell, a highly respected exhaust manufacture I have been speaking with who has helped me alot with ideas said that the removal of all cats is by far the best as any cat works like a bottle neck impeding flow.
It maybe the best of both worlds for guys wanting quite and flow. And for $150 it's worth a shot.
Will post anything I figure out.

Last edited by gearhead; 02-15-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Can you take some pictures when you open up the OEM exhaust and some pics of the work you will do on it. I'm curious what the inside of it looks like....

Originally Posted by gearhead
The info I collected states that running a stock exhaust minus cats only you will gain back 80% of what any aftermarket will give you but still sound stock both outside and inside.
This info was validated from a tuner who runs this on his personal car as he too wanted to be able to make phone calls while driving.
I rather not say who as he himself is partnered up with other exhaust company's and I don't want to remove food off anybody's plate if you get my drift.
But he is very well respected and has the ability to test his results so I take his word like it's carved in stone.
Granted this is only 80% which is more than enough of a difference for me to buy a second oem exhaust and see for myself.
As far as running only the primary cats which would help emissions and any possible smell, a highly respected exhaust manufacture I have been speaking with who has helped me alot with ideas said that the removal of all cats is by far the best as any cat works like a bottle neck impeding flow.
It maybe the best of both worlds for guys wanting quite and flow. And for $150 it's worth a shot.
Will post anything I figure out.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Of course, I will share what I learn.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Every performance car Ive owned has been catless and I never had a problem with smell. A proper tune key. Boosted car+catless=great.

By tune you mean pulling fuel down low rite? I tune only ant WOT not under 30% throttle so maybe that why mine more stinky under regular driving. If you pull fuel everywhere in the tune it eliminates the smell but also you gonn run hotter all the time as a result rite? Cause from the lean gets rid of odor but runs hotter? You are rite catless better for turbo! On my car a high flow cat only costs 5hp I know someone who dynoed before and after. So not a great loss of hp trade off.

Originally Posted by gearhead
You guys rock!!!! Decision made, gutting everything!!
I would atleast replace with straight pipe to increase flow.

Last edited by Rollracer; 02-16-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 PM
That would be insanely loud. Something I am trying to avoid, most aftermarket systems I found to loud, for me.
This is not the case for everyone but I don't think I am alone.
On a 911 the exhaust tube for straight pipes is like zoomies on a dragster they can shot flames as well if that's your thing, but teeth rattling loud. I agree it's hard to beat that level if flow but the volume is not worth it.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:17 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
You will notice the lost mid range torque. At least off boost. My car was measured at 3 PSI back-pressure at full tilt by GIAC running 1.3 bar sustained to redline. It's an off the shelf 70mm (European size) Remus exhaust with 100 cell cats. Cat-less and even cats with straight pipes require a compromise that isn't worth it on street car. You need the pipe length to get proper scavenging to get the torque.

IMO not worth the benefit to the environment or loss in torque to run cat-less or cats and straight pipes.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 02-16-2011 at 01:24 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: to go catless or catted opinions needed