996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K-sport coilover ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:03 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
you dont need links just google and see what you find .....

and no im not talking about ohlins or motons, KW, JIC , H&R, etc.....

Old 02-25-2011, 10:40 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I did my own homework on these a couple years ago. At the time they had issues with seals, etc... They are SO adjustable that you can actually have them so low, you ruin them. Like Nick says, just google them...plenty of Honda and other JDM forums to get info about them. I gave up on them after not finding any other Porsche enthusiast using them and you can get a used set of popular coilovers for the same price or even way less. They might be better now, but I'm happy with my $1300 used
PSS-9's for what I do.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
H&R get my vote.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:05 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
H&R coilovers or Billstien PSS9 or PSS10 are good mid range setups, I am surprised Koni doesn't make a set for this 996TT aplication.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
I did my own homework on these a couple years ago. At the time they had issues with seals, etc... They are SO adjustable that you can actually have them so low, you ruin them. Like Nick says, just google them...plenty of Honda and other JDM forums to get info about them. I gave up on them after not finding any other Porsche enthusiast using them and you can get a used set of popular coilovers for the same price or even way less. They might be better now, but I'm happy with my $1300 used
PSS-9's for what I do.
It is funny you mention them being too adjustable. Several years ago I was looking into H&R coilovers for my S4. Their were tons of people blowing front shocks on them. H&R was accusing the owners of running them too low. With gas/fluid shocks you can lower a shock outside of it's intended dampening range. This can cause the piston to contact the barrier that separates the nitrogen from the fluid and other bad things. H&Rs are a huge manufacturer in the euro market. They have some nice setups. I have seen countless people running Hondas soo slammed that the front bumper drags. This suggests the possibility of running the K-Sports outside the intended use. The issue is that K-sport is gonna blame the installation and use. The customers are gonna blame quality. The only way to tell is to run them and install them the way they are intended to be. If they suck they suck. They may have fixed their prior issues. It is impossible to tell without trying them.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:42 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VAGscum
It is funny you mention them being too adjustable. Several years ago I was looking into H&R coilovers for my S4. Their were tons of people blowing front shocks on them. H&R was accusing the owners of running them too low. With gas/fluid shocks you can lower a shock outside of it's intended dampening range. This can cause the piston to contact the barrier that separates the nitrogen from the fluid and other bad things. H&Rs are a huge manufacturer in the euro market. They have some nice setups. I have seen countless people running Hondas soo slammed that the front bumper drags. This suggests the possibility of running the K-Sports outside the intended use. The issue is that K-sport is gonna blame the installation and use. The customers are gonna blame quality. The only way to tell is to run them and install them the way they are intended to be. If they suck they suck. They may have fixed their prior issues. It is impossible to tell without trying them.
Yup, I agree, but at the time I couldn't find anyone that used them on anything other than a Honda Civic, so I elected NOT to be the guinea pig and bought my set for the same price, actually less...K Sports are probably fine for all but the hardest core racers...IF used within the manufacturers guidelines...

Old 02-25-2011, 07:23 PM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
Thanks VAGscum and ttboost, that makes sense. I am looking for a pair of coilover used or new if anyone wants to sell me a set for $1300. However, the K_sport seem to be as low at $975 shipped. Hard to beat that. I know I'm not a hardcore tracker so they may be fine for me.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by 007-911
Thanks VAGscum and ttboost, that makes sense. I am looking for a pair of coilover used or new if anyone wants to sell me a set for $1300. However, the K_sport seem to be as low at $975 shipped. Hard to beat that. I know I'm not a hardcore tracker so they may be fine for me.
...and if they don't work, you're only out a G-note...

Old 02-25-2011, 08:00 PM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
Very true I will give my review after I have them installed and corner balanced.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:39 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
good price for sure...i think they will be good.
if you wanna lower and have no issues go for JIC's.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:55 AM
gt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of light
Hehe i should have anticipated this, even that i included a large
its called irony we have it alot up here in the dark parts of the world ..... and thats refering to the lack of sunligt nothing else so dont get any ideas .
I actually have a setup of D2 coils which is the same as K-sports but not on my P-car i have also had JRZ,JIC's,Öhlins,HKS, Bilsteins etc. on the different cars i owned during the years.

Originally Posted by mmm635
I figured why not try them out since I am doing all the work - just the cost of the parts. I purchased my set from a board member who got frustrated because it was going to cost around $1200 to install them. His shop was not sure how to install them, so he decided to let them go. I spoke with another board member that has this same setup that was installed by his shop, and he loves them. This particular setup is designed for the street, but I would imagine can hold up at the track. They have a different set of coilovers that are geared for the track. If I am happy with these, then I might try out the track version on the 996tt track car build I have planned.

I will give you guys some real world feed back in order to avoid any "theories" or "horror" stories that have no basis. K-sports have been used on the JDM scene for many years and are popular in the drifting scene. They did not just pop out of nowhere and claim to be the best. It is my understanding that one of the higher ups in the company is a Porsche fanatic and are starting to break into the Euro market. It is just a matter for tuning the components for the Euro cars - not quality control or manufacturing processes. K-sport had some issues early in their manufacturing many years ago, but not now. Their failure rate is no different than Bilstein, Koni, or other higher end units. Trust me, the Motons/Ohlins are not the most reliable and maintenance free units.

Do I know how they will perform? I will soon find out. I am just trying to be open-minded because Taiwanese manufacturing is very close to the level of the Japanese, if not the same now.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:08 AM
Banned
mmm635 will become famous soon enoughmmm635 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by VAGscum
That is true for coilovers that have height adjustment which interferes with the dampening abilities. The K-sport, at least for the 996, has height adjustment independent of the travel of the piston in the shock. Height adjustment is set by lengthening the strut/shock via the sleeve which fits into the knuckle. The spring has a different perch which is actually stationary, regardless of the height adjustment.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:12 AM
That is true for coilovers that have height adjustment which interferes with the dampening abilities. The K-sport, at least for the 996, has height adjustment independent of the travel of the piston in the shock. Height adjustment is set by lengthening the strut/shock via the sleeve which fits into the knuckle. The spring has a different perch which is actually stationary, regardless of the height adjustment.
Yes, that seems to be the benefit of this coilover and it's design. Never really noticed it on others though, so it could be the same. When you change the height of the K Sport, you do NOT change the spring tension, only the height.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:41 AM
Banned
mmm635 will become famous soon enoughmmm635 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ttboost
Yes, that seems to be the benefit of this coilover and it's design. Never really noticed it on others though, so it could be the same. When you change the height of the K Sport, you do NOT change the spring tension, only the height.
Correct. This is why I was turned off by many coilovers in the BMW world. H&R, for instance...if you change the height, then the travel of the piston is also affected. This is why when the cars are lowered too much(JDM in particular), they will exhibit what is known as "porpoising". The piston does not have enough travel and has to dampen in a much shorter distance, thus decreasing ride quality and performance.

So, the K-sport shock is in a state of zero compression when height is manipulated. The two rings which support the spring perch are only tightened enough to make sure it does not move. I did this by hand and then locked in the two orange rings wit the supplied wrenches. You can see the threads for adjustment along the whole body of the strut/shock which allows for separate adjustment for each. Also, the sway bar link attachments points are fully adjustable. They are height adjustable on the the rear, as well as able to be locked in within 360 degrees on both front and rear. This is nice because I was able to precisely line up the link with the sway bar mounting point. I am using Eibach adjustable bars in the stiffest setting, so I was able to line it up perfectly with that hole. This allows the link to perform in the normal range of motion on the Y-axis, instead of at an angle like some aftermarket shocks which force the end link to perform on two axes. This will certainly help increase the life expectancy of the end link, as well as maintain the proper geometry.

Last edited by mmm635; 02-26-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
The correct use of the height adjustment on this coilover should not allow the shock to operatate outside of its capabilities. But everyone here knows that where their is a good design, their is also some window lickin' moron to defeat it by incorrect use. If I didn't know any better I would adjust those K-sports the way you adjust every other coilover out there by moving the spring perch. To me that suggests the possibility of it happening to other people as well. So then the question arises, would that cause premature blowing of these coilovers? I would venture to guess that it would.

FWIW, I had a few friends with the B5 S4 Koni racing coilovers double adjustable setups that had blown shocks from street use. The same with KWs and H&Rs. You rarely hear people trash those manufacturers, but it can happen to any manufacturer. My suggestion is to run them exactly within the parameters that K-sport suggests so that the test of this setup is not following by the questions I mentioned above.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K-sport coilover ?