996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Questions about smoothness of a stock 996tt (MT)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:56 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Questions about smoothness of a stock 996tt (MT)

For those of us with a stock engine and a manual transmission:

Do you experience some engine 'bog' if lets say you're driving in 2nd or 3rd below 2000rpm and you suddenly try accelerating? What I get is a unrefined feeling from the engine until the turbos spool up (then it's smooth, and a little scary!). I don't really know how to explain it but I'm sure if you have the same you'd know.

And in general it might be just me, but I feel all the mechanics work much much smoother if you keep the car in the boost range (above 2700rpm), engine and gear shifts. Below that the engine is not very smooth and the gear shifts are also less smooth than higher-rpm shifts.

It would be interesting to hear from other stock 996tt owners...

Old 02-28-2011, 09:21 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
A couple of comments- 1. a new MAF may help and 2. the 997 transmission mount helps.

Even then, accelerating at low rpms isn't too smooth...

Old 02-28-2011, 09:24 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks, so just the OEM 997 transmission mounts? Is that a DIY?
The dealer installed a new MAF less than 6 months ago so that should be good...

Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
If you have a lift you could DIY... Yes, just the 997 mount.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
If you have a lift you could DIY... Yes, just the 997 mount.
the Op's post is timely for me as I've only recently noticed a barely perceptible yet annoying hesitation, but mine seems to occur only when attempting to maintain a steady speed in higher gears btw say 2750/3k rpm. My intial thought after a lot of reading in here was to have the maf replaced. Only14 days left under cpo warranty! Argh.

Btw.. New tires on 'er so anytime ya wanna hit Malibu cyn lemme know!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
I've search through the forums and have talked to enough experienced techs to come to the conclusion that this hesitation could just be "normal" on the 996TTs. Some are more noticeable than others. Mine is barely noticed when I'm cruising along, very lightly on the throttle, and usually in 3rd or 4th gear -- right around 3K rpms. For me, it never occurs when I'm on the throttle and the car is pulling hard (if so, plugs may be the first thing I'd look at). In fact, it's so subtle that my passenger never feels it. But I also acknowledge that I'm hyper-sensitive to this kind of thing -- for example, "where's that $#@% ticking/creaking sound coming from? Oh it's a pen rattling in the glove box.....".

From what I can tell, theories point to the e-gas, variable valves, turbos, or even some play in the drive shaft. I haven't come to the conclusion that it's worth swapping out parts or blindly replacing things.

Other thoughts or experiences?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:23 PM
SnohomishX-50 is just really niceSnohomishX-50 is just really niceSnohomishX-50 is just really niceSnohomishX-50 is just really niceSnohomishX-50 is just really nice
For what it’s worth, mine does the same thing. Very slight hesitation when I'm trying to maintain a steady speed while cruising. Seems to happen mostly between 1800-3200rpm.

Put a new MAF in and have had my data logs looked at by Kevin/UMW and nothing seems out of place so I'm not going to worry about it unless it gets worse or starts throwing codes.

One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't seem to do it when I've got cruise control set. I haven't had an opportunity to try this enough (going up and down hills etc.) to draw any conclusions from it but it makes me wonder....

Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
how many miles on you exhaust? i changed mine to a 3" and it's gone.. it was gone before i changed my turbos

Old 02-28-2011, 10:39 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tphss

Do you experience some engine 'bog' if lets say you're driving in 2nd or 3rd below 2000rpm and you suddenly try accelerating? What I get is a unrefined feeling from the engine until the turbos spool up (then it's smooth, and a little scary!). I don't really know how to explain it but I'm sure if you have the same you'd know..
Normal. Under 2k?

Now the 'stumble' that others are describing sounds either like a miss due to plugs or the variocam changeover point....

Old 02-28-2011, 11:40 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
I assume it's pretty normal, had two turbos both seemed the same, around 2k rpm you are getting at the point when the boost starts to take affect causing a surgey type feel if you attempt to maintain that range.
Theses cars want to go fast, it's what they are built to do, so creeping around in traffic at low rpm makes the car difficult to drive smoothly.
It seems true with lots if high horsepower cars, great on the track not so much in traffic. Reverse for low horsepower cars, great in traffic, crap on the track.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
the Op's post is timely for me as I've only recently noticed a barely perceptible yet annoying hesitation, but mine seems to occur only when attempting to maintain a steady speed in higher gears btw say 2750/3k rpm. My intial thought after a lot of reading in here was to have the maf replaced. Only14 days left under cpo warranty! Argh.

Btw.. New tires on 'er so anytime ya wanna hit Malibu cyn lemme know!
The MAF is really easy to install (I can help you), and Elite Motorsports (board sponsor) has them for $255 shipped.

I'm due for a canyon drive!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
The MAF is really easy to install (I can help you), and Elite Motorsports (board sponsor) has them for $255 shipped.

I'm due for a canyon drive!
thx Paul..appreciate the offer. My mechanical abilities don't extend beyond topping off oil and pentosin! It's interesting to note others anecdotal experiences with hesitation around 3k being somewhat "normal". Though I don't really recall it happening before and I've had the car now a couple years. So it's either (a) normal, (b) the maf is dirty or "going", or more likely (c) "pre warranty expiration anxiety"!

By all means, let's hit Malibu cyn soon. They've repaved it from the 101 all the way to pch. Fresh blacktop!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Aerodude
I'vhesitation could just be "normal" on the 996TTs. Some are more noticeable than others. Mine is barely noticed when I'm cruising along, very lightly on the throttle, and usually in 3rd or 4th gear -- right around 3K rpms. For me, it never occurs when I'm on the throttle and the car is pulling hard (if so, plugs may be the first thing I'd look at). In fact, it's so subtle that my passenger never feels it. But I also acknowledge that I'm hyper-sensitive to this kind of thing -- for example, "where's that $#@% ticking/creaking sound coming from? Oh it's a pen rattling in the glove box.....".

From what I can tell, theories point to the e-gas, variable valves, turbos, or even some play in the drive shaft. I haven't come to the conclusion that it's worth swapping out parts or blindly replacing things.

Other thoughts or experiences?
agreed, that's exactly when it happens on mine. Agreed also on the "swapping parts out" etc. Although, I do have a neighbor with a 996t offering to help me switch out the maf (thx again Paul! ).. so.. Who knows. A new maf ain't gonna hurt.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I experience a little (very little) below 2K when cold, but from 2K on the engine is as smooth as could be all the way to the rev limiter. After the car is completely warm the hesitation is almost imperceptible (the passenger wouldn't know it's there).

Old 03-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
agreed, that's exactly when it happens on mine. Agreed also on the "swapping parts out" etc. Although, I do have a neighbor with a 996t offering to help me switch out the maf (thx again Paul! ).. so.. Who knows. A new maf ain't gonna hurt.
I'd definitely like to hear if this changes things. Best wishes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions about smoothness of a stock 996tt (MT)