996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

shaking steering wheel at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:50 PM
godxilla is on a distinguished road
Brand new tires. Hankooks cheapies. Thy tires seems fine otherwise. I will look for a shop with a roadforce machine.

Thanks.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:48 PM
HowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these parts
Give us front tire size and exact speed at which it is worst.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 PM
McSworley will become famous soon enough
Why use aluminum weights on your rims, when next time you get them balanced, just put some super glue around the weights before they are remounted on your TT and your weights should NOT fall off.

Good luck !

JIM in Texas

PS. Make sure you have your tires balanced with the weights only going on the inside of the rim where you won't see them.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
any other ideas besides the tires?

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 03-28-2011, 04:31 PM
iceman153 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
if you have deep dish reverse lip and it has been raining the wheels can retain water and that will cause the imbalance..otherwise, if you haven't experienced it before these new tires, you may have a bad one
My car does exactly the same thing as the OP's, BUT it only does it whens just been raining, and sometimes while it's actually raining. when the roads are completely dry I don't get any vibration. I've had the wheels road force balanced twice, the guys at the tire shop have no idea whats going on, they assume it's a bad tire and recommend i buy a new set, i'm sure they'd like that :P

I do have the 18" HRE's (as in my avatar), could they be holding water? hadn't thought of that before, has anyone experienced this? Is there a fix?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Yes there is a fix for the rain issue. There are special guides that go inside the wheel that will splash the water out when the wheel is rotating and not allow it to pool in the wheel.

I have seen these on the iForged website before. Do a search for them

Originally Posted by iceman153
My car does exactly the same thing as the OP's, BUT it only does it whens just been raining, and sometimes while it's actually raining. when the roads are completely dry I don't get any vibration. I've had the wheels road force balanced twice, the guys at the tire shop have no idea whats going on, they assume it's a bad tire and recommend i buy a new set, i'm sure they'd like that :P

I do have the 18" HRE's (as in my avatar), could they be holding water? hadn't thought of that before, has anyone experienced this? Is there a fix?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iceman153

Yep, same here - HREs. Violent vibration at 75 MPH in the rain. I contacted HRE and suggested they had a design flaw. They said: "Oh no, not us. Take your wheels back to the vendor so he can check them. If he thinks they are OK, then you can ship them back to us for evaluation. Then, if we do indeed find a problem, maybe we can work something out." I told them, I would be happy to concede that there is nothing wrong with my specific wheels and that this was a design flaw; if it turns out that my wheels are indeed flawed, I will pay for new ones. I haven't heard from them since.

So, I filled the outer slot in the wheels with epoxy resin (same as what I use for CF work) and re-balanced the wheels. In the rain - absolutely perfect. I won't buy HRE wheels ever again.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by prodigymb
Yes there is a fix for the rain issue. There are special guides that go inside the wheel that will splash the water out when the wheel is rotating and not allow it to pool in the wheel.

I have seen these on the iForged website before. Do a search for them
Is this what you mean? http://www.iforged.com/store/product...?products_id=5 has anyone tried these before?

Originally Posted by Slider
Yep, same here - HREs. Violent vibration at 75 MPH in the rain. I contacted HRE and suggested they had a design flaw. They said: "Oh no, not us. Take your wheels back to the vendor so he can check them. If he thinks they are OK, then you can ship them back to us for evaluation. Then, if we do indeed find a problem, maybe we can work something out." I told them, I would be happy to concede that there is nothing wrong with my specific wheels and that this was a design flaw; if it turns out that my wheels are indeed flawed, I will pay for new ones. I haven't heard from them since.

So, I filled the outer slot in the wheels with epoxy resin (same as what I use for CF work) and re-balanced the wheels. In the rain - absolutely perfect. I won't buy HRE wheels ever again.
Exactly where did you fill in with the epoxy? did you try the water chanel diverter above?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Hello Guys,

I just wanted to address a few things. First is to Slider. This is definitely not how we want our customers to feel after speaking with HRE. I am not sure who you spoke with here at HRE, but if you are still dealing with the issue, please call me directly. I will personally see what we can do for you.

I am not sure which wheels the customer is running and it sounds like these may be two separate issues here, but to clarify, any reverse drop center wheel with a forged barrel, has the potential to hold water. Doesn't matter the brand etc. The water deflectors "sometimes" work, but it's more related to your driving patterns. Typically it takes the vibration from 60-65 up and beyond typical wet driving speeds.

With regards to the customers original post, I agree, get them road force balanced and see if the vibration can be rectified. The fact that it occurs after 50 miles concerns me that there is another issue. Was anything else changed? Brake pad etc that would have allowed for something to be assembled incorrectly?

Hopefully we can help out.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 PM
McSworley will become famous soon enough
Although it has never happend on my TT, on my Mercedes AMG I had something similar and it wind up being something like tie rod ends or something in the suspension.

While tires are the usual culprit, something to think about, is at HIGH speeds, so little of you tire is actually even touching the road, so that leads me to believe it is something in your suspension.

Do you have a friend that owns a TT ? If so, put your tires on his car and take it to the same speed (75 mph) that you notice the vibration and see if the vibration is on his car too. If it is, then you know it is in the tires. Even if your tires are not old, the tire shop you bought them from, could have stored them incorrectly and now they are flat or out of round.

Good luck and let me know what turns up, as I'd sure like to know what it is myself.

JIM in Texas

Old 03-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by HRE_Guy
Hello Guys,

I just wanted to address a few things. First is to Slider. This is definitely not how we want our customers to feel after speaking with HRE. I am not sure who you spoke with here at HRE, but if you are still dealing with the issue, please call me directly. I will personally see what we can do for you.

I am not sure which wheels the customer is running and it sounds like these may be two separate issues here, but to clarify, any reverse drop center wheel with a forged barrel, has the potential to hold water. Doesn't matter the brand etc. The water deflectors "sometimes" work, but it's more related to your driving patterns. Typically it takes the vibration from 60-65 up and beyond typical wet driving speeds.

With regards to the customers original post, I agree, get them road force balanced and see if the vibration can be rectified. The fact that it occurs after 50 miles concerns me that there is another issue. Was anything else changed? Brake pad etc that would have allowed for something to be assembled incorrectly?

Hopefully we can help out.
Spoke with Vince in the HRE Service Dept and it seems like the only known fix for the water retention issues is to machine drain holes into the rims. The water deflectors usually don't help. Slider mentioned using epoxy to seal the outer hole in the rims, i assume you meant the hole for the valve stem. Would it not make more sense to use a silicone sealant here, as that would be easier to remove down the road. I might give this a try on my wheels, the alternative is having my car sit on blocks for a few weeks and pay for shipping to send my wheels to HRE to fix a design flaw the wheels should have originally been shipped with.

Mark

Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Thanks for the option HRE_Guy, I'll be calling when I get back into town. The picture below shows where I added the resin - it is even all the way around the wheel. I used resin instead of silicon because I have no intention of removing it (not sure why you would want to) and it is totally invisible unless you know what you are looking for. Sorry for the pic, it's raining (again).
Name:  Wheel.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  244.5 KB

Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 PM
coastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant future
I've experienced similar vibration at highway speeds but it seems to be when the tires haven't warmed up and/or the tires are a little under-inflated. With as low profile tires as these are, the ride quality seems to be sensitive to the lack of proper pressure.

Maybe it is just me, but frequent pressure checks (1 - 2X a week) have kept the ride smooth.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Th issue with certain HRE wheels is that water collects in the lip. It is totally repeatable and consistent - in the rain. On dry roads everything is beautiful.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Slider
Thanks for the option HRE_Guy, I'll be calling when I get back into town. The picture below shows where I added the resin - it is even all the way around the wheel. I used resin instead of silicon because I have no intention of removing it (not sure why you would want to) and it is totally invisible unless you know what you are looking for. Sorry for the pic, it's raining (again).
Attachment 147123
So you added it between the center and the rim? Not behind the center? Yeah I would like to talk with you. Now I am curious.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: shaking steering wheel at highway speeds