996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Wheel Tire Size & Fitment Feedback Needed

Old 05-14-2011, 04:19 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LiNks
I am way past GT2 offset, and if I had a GT2 or GT2 wheels I would be running spacers on them. The lower your offset the further the wheel sticks out of the fender, which beefs up the cars stance. Thats what the goal is here.
yeah widening the track width makes the car look nice and also has some handling advantages, like improving turn in on the front tires. Camber gain on the rear will help to offset the extra width of the spacer but on the rear gaining track width is not nearly as advantageous, but it does look good ...for now with the GT2 I'm sticking with the factory setup, on the Euro spec car it is pretty aggresive as is, and the car handles well from the factory...if I get another set of wheels I may play around with spacing and track width as well...so it's good to know what other enthusiasts like yourself are doing...def good info

Old 05-14-2011, 04:22 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
[quote=landjet;3204696][quote=LiNks;3204524][quote]I think you can run 15mm spacers and be ok on stock wheels to be honest.

I will be tracking the car with the 888's on occasion, only a few times a year nothing crazy.

I am aware of the inner edge wearing quicker, but if hopefully everything fits nice and snug!

I first ran 15mm spacers and it was a little too close to the fenders for my liking, especially on track because I didn't want to take the chance of cutting a tire down at high speed.

The 888's don't like much camber even at the track. I had to throw away my first set of rears because of a groove that wore along the inner edge. My tech took some camber out and the second set got over 44 heat cycles. Watch out for rear toe as well. My Nitto's take a lot more camber without problems.
Larry what track did you get the wearing...how are the 888 for a street/track setup I am guessing not as grippy as an Hoosier R6? Who is your tech you're in MD as well...

sorry for the Off topic post LiNKs...

Last edited by landjet; 05-14-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sunir
yeah widening the track width makes the car look nice and also has some handling advantages, like improving turn in on the front tires. Camber gain on the rear will help to offset the extra width of the spacer but on the rear gaining track width is not nearly as advantageous, but it does look good ...for now with the GT2 I'm sticking with the factory setup, on the Euro spec car it is pretty aggresive as is, and the car handles well from the factory...if I get another set of wheels I may play around with spacing and track width as well...so it's good to know what other enthusiasts like yourself are doing...def good info
If I had a GT2 I most likely would not touch a thing also

[QUOTE=sunir;3204702][quote=landjet;3204696][quote=LiNks;3204524]
I think you can run 15mm spacers and be ok on stock wheels to be honest.

I will be tracking the car with the 888's on occasion, only a few times a year nothing crazy.

I am aware of the inner edge wearing quicker, but if hopefully everything fits nice and snug!

Larry what track did you get the wearing...how are the 888 for a street/track setup I am guessing not as grippy as an Hoosier R6? Who is your tech you're in MD as well...

sorry for the Off topic post LiNKs...
Good info no worries, want to see the response too

Old 05-14-2011, 07:40 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
A combination of Summit Point, VIR, and NJMP. The 888's are fine, not as much grip as Hoosiers but a much longer life. I know guys who only get 1 weekend from a set of Hoosiers. I got 6 weekends from 888's. The Nitto's are supposed to last even a little more.

I take my car to ASG in northern VA. Geoff Schwarz is my tech.

I can post my alignment setup for the 888's if you want.

Last edited by landjet; 05-14-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:34 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LiNks
I currently run a 19x12 +28 rear wheel with a PS2 tire, which the section width is 12.8" and overall diameter is 25.2"

I want to run a 18x12 +32 rear wheel with a Toyo R888 tire who's section width is 12.5" and overall diameter is 25.5"

I anticipate a very tight fit as the cars lowered and fenders are rolled, and am willing to do other MINOR modifications in the fender to make it work along with playing with the camber ect.

Are there any other obvious issues I am overseeing? the overall diameter is whats making me nervous being that these are a bit taller.

I am also surprised to see that the PS2s section width is a bit wider then the Toyo R888, any comments?

Thanks in advance
I'm currently running 19x12+34 on the rears with 315x25x19 Conti using Bilsteins with about an inch drop in the rear. Once in a very great while (maybe once a year going very fast over some of the back road arroyos) at full compression I get a very slight rub on the right rear inner fender liner. I'm only running -1 camber.