996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Wheel Tire Size & Fitment Feedback Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:56 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Wheel Tire Size & Fitment Feedback Needed

I currently run a 19x12 +28 rear wheel with a PS2 tire, which the section width is 12.8" and overall diameter is 25.2"

I want to run a 18x12 +32 rear wheel with a Toyo R888 tire who's section width is 12.5" and overall diameter is 25.5"

I anticipate a very tight fit as the cars lowered and fenders are rolled, and am willing to do other MINOR modifications in the fender to make it work along with playing with the camber ect.

Are there any other obvious issues I am overseeing? the overall diameter is whats making me nervous being that these are a bit taller.

I am also surprised to see that the PS2s section width is a bit wider then the Toyo R888, any comments?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-14-2011, 09:06 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LiNks
I currently run a 19x12 +28 rear wheel with a PS2 tire, which the section width is 12.8" and overall diameter is 25.2"

I want to run a 18x12 +32 rear wheel with a Toyo R888 tire who's section width is 12.5" and overall diameter is 25.5"

I anticipate a very tight fit as the cars lowered and fenders are rolled, and am willing to do other MINOR modifications in the fender to make it work along with playing with the camber ect.

Are there any other obvious issues I am overseeing? the overall diameter is whats making me nervous being that these are a bit taller.

I am also surprised to see that the PS2s section width is a bit wider then the Toyo R888, any comments?

Thanks in advance
Why not back off a few millimeters on the offset and save yourself a lot of trouble in in doing something that may or may not work? There in not a whole lot you can do outside of rolling the fenders. What's the point of such an aggressive offset? What are you trying to achieve?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:16 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
I'll measure mine tomorrow for you if I get time

I'm stock euro ride height though

Old 05-14-2011, 09:19 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
I am trying to achieve both a look and function with the car. I want a car that performs to the best of its ability safely, while at the same time I would like a car that presents a look or should I say STANCE!

It might be the correct move to back off a bit with the offset, but thats only going to lead me to trying out spacers, and I will be pretty bummed out if I run a 7mm spacer on a +39 rear wheel and I have no problems.

Why not try and take some time / measurements, spec it out properly and do something that others might want to do in the future?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by ant_8u
I'll measure mine tomorrow for you if I get time

I'm stock euro ride height though
That would be awesome, thank you!

I have a set of the Fiske FM5's we were talking about on order, just unsure of how aggressive I should get with them and scared to sign off until I am confident what I order will work.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:30 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LiNks
That would be awesome, thank you!

I have a set of the Fiske FM5's we were talking about on order, just unsure of how aggressive I should get with them and scared to sign off until I am confident what I order will work.
No problem

I'd planned to take some measurements on mine shortly anyway

They're meant to be 11" +25
but I've seen other cars with the same fitment and they're tucked further under than mine

I'll see what I can get as far as back/front spacing, offsets, clearance, etc

Camber might be difficult for me though

What size Tyres are you going for?

How does your ride height compare to euro spec

Old 05-14-2011, 09:32 AM
If you ever get rid of them at a later date just let me know

Are you keeping the fronts the same fitment as your current ones?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Tire sizes are going to be 245/35/18f & 315/30/18r Toyo R888's..... I am not sure how my ride height compares to euro spec, I assume I am around GT2 height right now....but to be honest once these wheels and tires are fitted I am going to go pretty low.

The fronts I try not to open my mouth about because they have to clear my Brembo kit so I leave that to the pros

I am 6 weeks out from getting them assuming I get the ball rolling by Monday, you gotta give me some time before I sell them haha PM Sent

Old 05-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I know you can't say too much about the fronts

I reckon you can get those rears looking badass though!

Old 05-14-2011, 10:29 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
With my other set of wheels, 18x12, I was running +28 with 315/30 with no problem. The only diff is my car is not as low. With the 4mm to work with and the negative camber you are going to run, I think it will work.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:44 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I run 245/40/18 and 315/30/18 Nitto NT01's on my car with 7mm spacers at all corners, no rubbing or any other problems. My fenders are rolled, stock wheels, car is lowered more than GT2 specs with GT3 6 piston brakes.

Will you be tracking the car with the 888's? If not, more camber will only cause quicker inner edge wear on the street. May make the tires fit but you'll pay for that in accelerated wear, and the 888's are a softer compound than PS2's. Something to consider before you buy.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:23 AM
[quote]I think you can run 15mm spacers and be ok on stock wheels to be honest.

I will be tracking the car with the 888's on occasion, only a few times a year nothing crazy.

I am aware of the inner edge wearing quicker, but if hopefully everything fits nice and snug![quote]

Last edited by landjet; 05-14-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:53 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
If your rear 18x12 is the same spec and offset as the GT2 factory rear it will not be an issue, and you wont need to modify the wheel lip or use a spacer, I can tell you that on my GT2 the tire is fairly close to the wheel liner on the inside of the rear liner and that's straight from the factory with the wheel, tire, and suspension as it came, and if you have the GT2 ride height and alignment that will be the same for you, but not sure if it will work with the turbo wheel liners may have some rubbing on the inside if the liners are different, and I think they are.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:12 PM
I am way past GT2 offset, and if I had a GT2 or GT2 wheels I would be running spacers on them. The lower your offset the further the wheel sticks out of the fender, which beefs up the cars stance. Thats what the goal is here.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:13 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
[quote=LiNks;3204524][quote]I think you can run 15mm spacers and be ok on stock wheels to be honest.

I will be tracking the car with the 888's on occasion, only a few times a year nothing crazy.

I am aware of the inner edge wearing quicker, but if hopefully everything fits nice and snug![quote]

I first ran 15mm spacers and it was a little too close to the fenders for my liking, especially on track because I didn't want to take the chance of cutting a tire down at high speed.

The 888's don't like much camber even at the track. I had to throw away my first set of rears because of a groove that wore along the inner edge. My tech took some camber out and the second set got over 44 heat cycles. Watch out for rear toe as well. My Nitto's take a lot more camber without problems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel Tire Size & Fitment Feedback Needed