996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Did some 4th Gear Runs Tonight!!! (Results Inside)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:24 PM
KJM3 is on a distinguished road
Did some 4th Gear Runs Tonight!!! (Results Inside)

So I finally ordered some Bailey DV's from Mike at AWE (Great guy BTW), and am getting my car flashed next Tuesday.

Since there's no AWD dyno in my area, I decided to do my own "runs" to see what my stock performance was.

I wanted to do runs in a single gear from 2000 rpm to Redline and time how long it took with a stopwatch. By doing that, I could measure performance across the entire power band. I could've done 1/4 mile runs, but there'd be too much variances due to:
How good my launch was, how fast my shifts were etc.

I decided on doing 4th gear runs down the highway because it was the highest gear I felt was "safe" to do repeated runs with.

I ended up doing 4 runs (2 in each direction) and got an average time of 15.27 seconds.

The speed range as indicated on my speedometer was:
66 km/h - 212 km/h
or
41 MPH - 133 MPH

I figure this is a good measure of elasticity. The accuracy in my measurement was evident when my 2 runs (in the same direction) ended up being EXACTLY the same to the hundredth of a second!!!

The 996 Turbo is so fast stock, that I was able to complete the 41 MPH - 133 MPH run before the interchange merged with the highway!!! I can't even imagine how fast this sucker is going to be once I chip it!!!

Anyway, I can't wait to get my ECU flashed to see how much that time drops!!!

- KJ

Old 04-08-2005, 09:03 AM
jaewoo0 is on a distinguished road
Re: Did some 4th Gear Runs Tonight!!! (Results Inside)

Originally posted by KJM3
So I finally ordered some Bailey DV's from Mike at AWE (Great guy BTW), and am getting my car flashed next Tuesday.

Since there's no AWD dyno in my area, I decided to do my own "runs" to see what my stock performance was.

I wanted to do runs in a single gear from 2000 rpm to Redline and time how long it took with a stopwatch. By doing that, I could measure performance across the entire power band. I could've done 1/4 mile runs, but there'd be too much variances due to:
How good my launch was, how fast my shifts were etc.

I decided on doing 4th gear runs down the highway because it was the highest gear I felt was "safe" to do repeated runs with.

I ended up doing 4 runs (2 in each direction) and got an average time of 15.27 seconds.

The speed range as indicated on my speedometer was:
66 km/h - 212 km/h
or
41 MPH - 133 MPH

I figure this is a good measure of elasticity. The accuracy in my measurement was evident when my 2 runs (in the same direction) ended up being EXACTLY the same to the hundredth of a second!!!

The 996 Turbo is so fast stock, that I was able to complete the 41 MPH - 133 MPH run before the interchange merged with the highway!!! I can't even imagine how fast this sucker is going to be once I chip it!!!

Anyway, I can't wait to get my ECU flashed to see how much that time drops!!!

- KJ
Are you sending out the chip? or flashing it yourself? make sure you get Stage 2 HAMMER program.

and check this site: http://www.evoms.com/p996tt%20computer.htm

also Pfaff does the flash too.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Banned
StephenTi is on a distinguished road
You will definitely enjoy a very healthy boost of power/torque. With just a Cargraphic exhaust, KN Filter, and Upsolute chip, I dyno'd on a dynojet @ 455rwhp and 505rwtq... a substantial improvement over stock. Have fun!

Old 04-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Re: Did some 4th Gear Runs Tonight!!! (Results Inside)

Originally posted by KJM3

Good information.

Was the road flat? The only real problem with the physics of a test like this is the slope of the road can have a real impact on acceleration times.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:32 AM
KJM3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: Did some 4th Gear Runs Tonight!!! (Results Inside)

Originally posted by Dock (Atlanta)
Good information.

Was the road flat? The only real problem with the physics of a test like this is the slope of the road can have a real impact on acceleration times.
I did 4 runs, 2 in each direction over the same stretch of highway and averaged the times.

So whatever advantage I had going in one direction, was cancelled by the disadvantage going the opposite direction.

- KJ