996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: Which is the best overall sports car for $60k?
Nissan GTR
27.88%
996 turbo x50
47.12%
993 turbo
9.62%
M3 sedan
15.38%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Best overall sports car for $60k? Nissan GTR, 996 turbo S or 993 turbo??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 03:11 AM
GeorgeJ is on a distinguished road
Best overall sports car for $60k? Nissan GTR, 996 turbo S or 993 turbo??

Hey guys,

About a year ago I had to sell my 2008 M5 and 2008 Z06 to cover my bleeding real estate portfolio. Today, I can finally see light and fresh air, so its time to get a new daily driver. I would like to have both a nice, fast and luxurious daily driver and a hardcore sports car for the weekends and track events, but financially it’s not feasible.

The cars I am considering are a 2009 Nissan GTR, 996 turbo x50/S and 993 turbo. My budget is approximately $60k. My criteria are as follows:

1. Must have a backseat to take my 2 small kids (9 and 12) around on a daily basis.
2. Must be fast and fun to drive on my work commute and the occassional HPDE.
3. Reliable and not have excessive maintenance cost
4. Slow depreciation would be nice. I drive about 12,000 miles/year

Nissan GTR:
I was considering buying a GTR about 2 or 3 years ago, but chose the Z06 for its rawness and rear wheel drive. I had a lot of fun in the Z06 on and off the track, but have to say the interior quality was a real let down. Personally I have grown to like the looks and marvel over its technical abilities. Also, the backseats in the GTR are substantially roomier than both the 993 and 996. I am aware the maintenance expense is probably on par with the 996 turbo. So far, the GTR has exhibited low depreciation, but where will it be 5 years from now? Finally, the ability to extend the factory warranty is a big plus to me for peace of mind.

996 turbo x50:
I have previously owned a 996 turbo almost 10 years ago and found it to be somewhat boring to drive due to the understeering AWD setup. At the time I wanted something much more hardcore, so I replaced it with a 2002 GT2 w/ GT700 kit, which I loved and still think about today. I really miss that car, but the lack of backseats makes it not an option. The cost of the 996 turbo will be the least of the 3 choices, but I keep worrying I am buying yesterday’s technology. I keep reading about how the GTR was a step above the 997 turbo when it was first introduced, so naturally I would think it is 2 steps above the 996 platform. True or false?

993 turbo:
The reasons I am considering the 993 turbo is because the car is plain sexy and in my opinion the best looking car Porsche has made in the past 20 years. Also, it’s the only car I am considering that has a good chance of appreciating in value. However, is this possibility of appreciation negated by the fact it will be my daily driver for now? Does the 993 turbo make a good daily driver or would I get tired of driving everyday? I have read the AC is not very effective compared to modern cars and I live in a relatively warm climate during the summer months. Also, how does it compare in reliability and maintenance cost compared to the GTR and 996 turbo? However, it’s the only one I can see still owning 10 years from now.

There is a fourth option, which is a 4-door (e90) M3. The M3 is not a sports car and a clearly a compromise. It does not have the power of any of the above choices and very difficult to get additional horsepower relatively inexpensively. However, it is more practical and maybe more fun to drive due to its RWD setup and NA engine. I have never been practical in the past, but then again I have never had to own just one car like my current situation. Would any of you consider the M3?

Your opinions are greatly appreaciated.

Thanks
George

Old 06-12-2011, 04:26 AM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
Until you can get your finances really together, put your family first and buy the BMW. Or an Audi. Or a Caddy. Etc. I would never consider driving around with my kids in the back of a Porsche 911. Accidents don't wait for you to make them.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:35 AM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
Personally, I don't think the back seat of any of them is a regular place for a 9 and 12 year old.

How about an E55? Practical, quick as heck, fun. Pick one up in the 20's now.

Last edited by tscales; 06-12-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:18 AM
turbo_banker is on a distinguished road
I had an E92 M3 before my 996tt, with the situation you are describing I would definitely take the M3 over the 996, it will suit you a lot better.

I think you might consider the coupe M3 rather than the sedan though, I personally think the coupe is waay nicer and it is still very practical - i have had 4 adults in the car for long journeys no problem.

The only one I would consider otherwise is the GTR as it has the performance and is still somewhat practical. The P-cars are too inpractical, you cannot take your kids around in a 993 turbo, I would not even consider that - even though it would be my favourite of all the cars!

Old 06-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
If it is just for you, take the 993 turbo but if the kids are tagging along then get the RR supercharge.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:27 AM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
I voted for the M3 sedan, but only because the Coupe wasn't listed.

BTW, you're forgetting another great high performance 4 door car with very usable rear seats and all weather capability; the Audi S4. Find a lightly used Prestige with the S-Tronic gearbox and Audi Drive Select CPO'd for less than $54,000 and you'll have a great car that fits all your needs.

Bish

Old 06-12-2011, 07:31 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Your 9 year old will fit in the back of a Porsche. Your 12 year old could squeeze in now but not next year so I'd rule that car out based on that.

Seems like the BMW is best on your list, but even that will be tight. Maybe an M5? Not as much fun but plenty fast and comfortable. With a warranty it's affordable to own.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:55 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
I know I am breaking a major car enthusiasts rule by speaking badly about the GTR, but why a GTR? They are very impressive in all performance aspects, but they are one step away from not even needing a driver. If you think the driving experience of the 996TT is uninvolved than the GTR will be even worse. My mother could drive that car around a track without a flaw. The driver's experience is an important aspect when shopping for a car to me. From the driver's aspect I would go with a 993TT due to the lack of driver's aids. But one major flaw is a sports car is not a "haul the kids to and from school" car. But for 60k you could buy a nice 996TT and a four door car to move kids. And if you go for a Honda or Toyota you would have money left over. With that money buy a flash, sway bar and possibly a suspension. This will fix the boring aspects of the 996TT. A set of sway bars and an alignment will completely change the way a 996TT drives. And the values are not gonna drop much more as the demand is steadily going up. My vote of for the 996TT.

Last edited by VAGscum; 06-12-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:02 AM
NineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really nice
Since you have two kids in the equation, I voted for the GT-R. The 996 seats are, quite frankly, a joke.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:03 AM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
Hey guys,

About a year ago I had to sell my 2008 M5 and 2008 Z06 to cover my bleeding real estate portfolio. Today, I can finally see light and fresh air, so its time to get a new daily driver. I would like to have both a nice, fast and luxurious daily driver and a hardcore sports car for the weekends and track events, but financially it’s not feasible.

The cars I am considering are a 2009 Nissan GTR, 996 turbo x50/S and 993 turbo. My budget is approximately $60k. My criteria are as follows:

1. Must have a backseat to take my 2 small kids (9 and 12) around on a daily basis. For regular in/out and overall leg room as little ones get bigger, I would rule out the coupes, but would think that a GTR would be the most user friendly.
2. Must be fast and fun to drive on my work commute and the occassional HPDE. All cars in your criteria fit this, but if you are benchmarking a 700hp GT2, than none of them will.
3. Reliable and not have excessive maintenance cost That rules 993 Turbo out.
4. Slow depreciation would be nice. I drive about 12,000 miles/year

Nissan GTR:
I was considering buying a GTR about 2 or 3 years ago, but chose the Z06 for its rawness and rear wheel drive. I had a lot of fun in the Z06 on and off the track, but have to say the interior quality was a real let down. Personally I have grown to like the looks and marvel over its technical abilities. Also, the backseats in the GTR are substantially roomier than both the 993 and 996. I am aware the maintenance expense is probably on par with the 996 turbo. So far, the GTR has exhibited low depreciation, but where will it be 5 years from now? Finally, the ability to extend the factory warranty is a big plus to me for peace of mind. Although I'm not crazy about the GTR, I think this would be a great choice and the best coupe option (fast, late year model for $, warranty, back seat room).

996 turbo x50:
I have previously owned a 996 turbo almost 10 years ago and found it to be somewhat boring to drive due to the understeering AWD setup. At the time I wanted something much more hardcore, so I replaced it with a 2002 GT2 w/ GT700 kit, which I loved and still think about today. I really miss that car, but the lack of backseats makes it not an option. The cost of the 996 turbo will be the least of the 3 choices, but I keep worrying I am buying yesterday’s technology. I keep reading about how the GTR was a step above the 997 turbo when it was first introduced, so naturally I would think it is 2 steps above the 996 platform. True or false? Your statements about technology vs. boring to drive seem conflicting. If you found 996TT to be boring due to understeer, you will fall asleep behind the wheel of a GTR, and could probably still drive it around the track while snorring. If you are referring to techonlogy in terms of reliability, there is nothing about a 996TT that's less reliable vs. a 997TT outside of age/mileage which is true for any car/platform.

993 turbo:
The reasons I am considering the 993 turbo is because the car is plain sexy and in my opinion the best looking car Porsche has made in the past 20 years. Also, it’s the only car I am considering that has a good chance of appreciating in value. However, is this possibility of appreciation negated by the fact it will be my daily driver for now? Does the 993 turbo make a good daily driver or would I get tired of driving everyday? I have read the AC is not very effective compared to modern cars and I live in a relatively warm climate during the summer months. Also, how does it compare in reliability and maintenance cost compared to the GTR and 996 turbo? However, it’s the only one I can see still owning 10 years from now. First of all, a 993 Turbo is by far the coolest P-car ever built. Outside of that, and compared to your criteria, it looks like the poorest fit - low mileage models hold value, but your mileage demands WILL negate this. Despite all the coolness in the world, the car IS old technology and will have high maint. cost. If you really want one, I think you'll need to go to your 2-car setup and get a $10k 4-door for bad weather/hot weather/when 993 is in the shop.

There is a fourth option, which is a 4-door (e90) M3. The M3 is not a sports car and a clearly a compromise. It does not have the power of any of the above choices and very difficult to get additional horsepower relatively inexpensively. However, it is more practical and maybe more fun to drive due to its RWD setup and NA engine. I have never been practical in the past, but then again I have never had to own just one car like my current situation. Would any of you consider the M3?

I definitelly would - fast is a relative term and if you think about, it is unlikely that you will have the fastest car around (street or track), so going back to the cars above, I feel like all of them are fast enough to be plenty of fun. The tradeoff you will have to make w/4-door car is whether you want the car fast in the straight line or around the track. I'd think you can make the 4-door M3 plenty fast through corners with some suspension work and it's definitely fpowerful enough for track use. If you want to blast down teh highway, get an AMG Benz and you'll never have to worry about being underpowered.

Your opinions are greatly appreaciated.

Thanks
George
See above in RED and good luck, you have a great problem to solve my friend!!

Old 06-12-2011, 08:22 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NineElevenLover
Since you have two kids in the equation, I voted for the GT-R. The 996 seats are, quite frankly, a joke.
Did you see the back seats of the GTR? Those are a joke!

If it will be your only car don't buy a coupe if you have kids so my vote will go to the M3 sedan.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:51 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
1) The backseat of a GT-R is marginally larger (if at all) than a 996. In fact, my son's car seat fit almost identically in the 911 as it did in the GT-R. My kids are now 5, 9, 15, and 19. The 15 yr old boy (5'9") has the least comfort, but can make it for short trips to school, grocery shopping, etc...

2) The thing I like most about the GT-R, is that I can drive however I want, whenever I want. I can leave the car in auto-mode, and cruise to the office. When I need to do some carving, I flick a paddle, put the switches in 'R' mode, and have some fun. I don't get the whole - "uninvolving" thing. I believe that if you aren't having fun, you aren't driving hard enough. The hardest part for me to learn, was that the GT-R will not excel if you try to drive it like every other car, because it is slightly different than every other car. BUT if you did not enjoy the X50, then you may not be turned on by the Nissan.

3) GT-R and 996 for reliability and maintenance (maybe a slight nod towards the Nissan, because of the extended warranty).

4) Well you said it yourself about depreciation - the GT-R, new, was about $74k fully loaded with all that junk that other manufacturers charge extra for. The X50 went for over $160k (around ~2003 or so). One depreciated $100k over 8 years, the other depreciated $14k over 3 years.

I completely ignored the BMW, because compared to the X50 and the GT-R the M3 is just not that fun for me (my opinion).

Old 06-12-2011, 08:53 AM
NineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really nice
Originally Posted by alex55
Did you see the back seats of the GTR? Those are a joke!

If it will be your only car don't buy a coupe if you have kids so my vote will go to the M3 sedan.
Touche. Damn, I wish I could change my vote now.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:03 AM
saeyedoc will become famous soon enoughsaeyedoc will become famous soon enough
Depends a lot on how long you plan on keeping it. Kids grow, and end up with friends. It's a pain in the butt to constantly deal with that with a coupe, especially one with tiny rear seats. I'd look at M3 sedan, S4, C63.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:06 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,Porsche 996 Turbo, IMO....Good Luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best overall sports car for $60k? Nissan GTR, 996 turbo S or 993 turbo??