996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need help deciding between 996TT & C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:34 PM
AspenWhite05Sti is infamous around these parts
Either way... You get yourself a monster. I can say the seats suck in the vette but my plushes are not much better.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:37 PM
porscheforfun is infamous around these parts
ask in a corvette forum see what kinda response you get . You know the answer .

Old 07-22-2011, 04:48 PM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
You'll get the same answer he got here. Lots of respect for both cars.

Long time member of the Corvette Forum (although not recently since I don't own one).

Most Corvette owners lust after a 911 Turbo

Old 07-22-2011, 05:39 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tscales
You'll get the same answer he got here. Lots of respect for both cars.

Long time member of the Corvette Forum (although not recently since I don't own one).

Most Corvette owners lust after a 911 Turbo
....and most of us Porsche owners remember how cheap it was to own a Vette!!!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 PM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
Most expensive car I ever owned was my first Corvette. 2001 C5 convertible. Automatic.

Put a 12 PSI Procharger on it. Dual intercoolers.

Sadly, a bad tune and completely blew the engine.

Put in a bored/stroked 422 and the Procharger. Couldn't get supercharger belts to do anything but shred.

Just as we were getting it right, circumstances forced the sale. So sad -- wish I still had it.

Last dyno before I sold it -- with the belt slipping -- was a little over 700RWHP.

It was fun.....

Old 07-23-2011, 04:23 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Most expensive car I ever owned was my first Corvette. 2001 C5 convertible. Automatic.

Put a 12 PSI Procharger on it. Dual intercoolers.

Sadly, a bad tune and completely blew the engine.

Put in a bored/stroked 422 and the Procharger. Couldn't get supercharger belts to do anything but shred.

Just as we were getting it right, circumstances forced the sale. So sad -- wish I still had it.

Last dyno before I sold it -- with the belt slipping -- was a little over 700RWHP.

It was fun.....
^^^^I had nearly the same experience on an 89 6 speed car. My 98 Vette was a single turbo car. Bailed on that after 3 automatic transmissions in a year...The first one I fixed, the second one was junk (broke it too bad, along with the rear dif), the third one (from a junk yard) was sent to Level10 who guaranteed it for 1000hp. It broke on my mechanic on his test drive after the last dyno. I quit....

Old 07-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Fastfrank is infamous around these parts
Just got done going for a 3 hour ride...saw countless C6 Corvettes...3 Grand Sports, 4 ZO6's & a ZR1.....not even one Porsche of any kind...so first of all I don't see myself coming & going everywhere I go ;-)

I came out of a 700rwhp stroker/blown vett before this car-before that a couple of 5-600AWHP AWD cars & couldn't stand going back to RWD & having traction issues

Interior quality & looks on Pcar blows away the Vet IMO
C6 instrument cluster layout etc...is way too similar to C5 & too much use of plastic...way more factory interior options available w/ 996... Like my car has CF wheel/shifter/brake,supple leather seats w/ Porsche headrests, leather wrapped center console,alcantara headliner etc...

I also have a 9 & 12 year old-the backseats are small bit still there Lol

Good luck either way!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:56 AM
rosesplus is infamous around these parts
Waiting for the turbos to spool up annoys me. Yes, I could mod it, but I shouldn't have to. Porsche should have done it right. When I want the thrill of acceleration, I don't drive the 996TT, I drive my wife's station wagon (E55). How sad is that.
That's an X50 problem, the K16's spool much earlier.........

Old 07-24-2011, 03:51 PM
I realize it is an X50 problem, but I've read countless threads that all I need is a tune. If that's true, Porsche fell down on the job.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:58 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
You are talking some pretty old Turbo technology. What are you complaining about. I doubt you bought the car without driving it first. If it's such a big deal why not just buy something else.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:01 PM
I realize it is an X50 problem, but I've read countless threads that all I need is a tune. If that's true, Porsche fell down on the job.
What are you comparing to?

Originally Posted by heavychevy
You are talking some pretty old Turbo technology. What are you complaining about. I doubt you bought the car without driving it first. If it's such a big deal why not just buy something else.
Geez...glad someone said it...

Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love the car. I was just observing on its one weakness for me. I get more of a rush of the line in the E55. The 996TT does everything I want it to do well, with that one exception.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love the car. I was just observing on its one weakness for me. I get more of a rush of the line in the E55. The 996TT does everything I want it to do well, with that one exception.
A supercharged V8 vs a twin turbo 6cyl...not a good or fair comparison. Take both of your cars out to the highway and do a roll on race starting at 60. probablt be more even if not favor the Porsche...