996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT pricing - has the bleeding stopped yet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
VNT, assuming the car was in good shape and didn't need much of anything, that was an insanely good deal for you (and opposite for the seller ). Other 6-speed X50's with similar mileage have been trading hands in the mid-upper 40's - mid-upper 50's over the last year or two, depending on condition and circumstances. You bought very well.

I don't remember for sure, but are you one of the buyers who bought from someone who didn't even know the car was an X50? I know that's happened from time to time, judging from posts here and elsewhere.
Car was/is in great shape..zero paint work (I paint metered); only thing it needed was rear tires. The prior owner paid $64k w/32k miles for it back in Jan 2007 said it was a mid-life crisis purchase. He originally had it listed for $43k and it was listed for over 9 months, just because he didn't want to deal w/out of state buyers cause of the line of work he is in (Pilot for Delta).

He had a committed buyer out of NYC after I looked at it in July 2010, the guy apparently was in the process of having a ppi done at AtSpeed and found out he was being laid off from his job, so he had to back out of the deal....since I had looked at it prior the seller called me on my cell and said he was tired of showing it and that I had shown the most interest; he said I could have it if I made him a serious offer, so I did what any person would do and low-balled him.... at the time I didn't even think about checking under the hood at the options list to verify if it was/wasn't a x50. We agreed at $37k in Dec 2010 and met at the bank where I took delivery. I just couldn't believe how this guy could take a "hit" of this big as far as depreciation. He was in his 50s and told me when we went on the test drive that he had never taken the car over 60mph, obviously he was quite suprised when I hit triple digits on our somewhat of a "joy" ride.

I def made out like a bandit. I looked at so many 996 911TT prior to purchasing mine and they were either over priced or just were in very "rough" shape & also I was pretty **** about what color it had to be (seal grey or arctic silver & had to have black interior). Funny thing is the cars I did look at and seriously considered were purchased by members on here, which I see at C&C events I attend....(coincidence)

This car def puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it, I've so far put 4k miles on her.... (now it's time for some serious mods....)

Last edited by k-ore; 12-03-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:52 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I looked at that car when it was at $43K. He was in AA County, right? His driveway was a big hill? If it's the same guy, he didn't advertise it as an X50, I think I'd remember that and I didn't check the option codes. I probably would have bought it had I known

Old 10-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sunir
The market does seem to have leveled somewhat...and I agree the 996 and 993 are two different breeds appealing to two different sets of buyers...that said I think the '01 996TT are the bargain basement best deals, in '02 the chassis was stiffer and significant ops systems changes were made to the turbo, also the X50 was introduced...I think '02 - '05 will stabilize faster, with the GT2 and GT3 cars keeping it's value at a certain level followed by the Turbo S cab and rarer coupe, then the X50 cars and then finally the '01 cars. Eventually though the 996 Metzger GT1 powered cars will have their place and I think the prices will not go down much further and are rallying to some degree...of course you can argue build numbers, etc...there are many factors and there will always be outliers which are to be taken on a case by case basis on the low end and high end...
There is no difference between the 01 and 02 Turbo chassis; that is only the non-turbos. The turbo chassis was developed after the non-turbo and was stiffer by design. That design was applied to the non-turbo's in 02. Look it up in the Porsche technical docs, the part number for the chassis is the same for both years.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:50 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^ ah ok...thanks for the clarification...

I know the GT2 chassis is different slightly stiffer without sunroof, at least I have been told so by some reputable sources.

Val bud you got a lucky deal, 'ole juju she's a beautiful car!

Old 10-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deckman
I looked at that car when it was at $43K. He was in AA County, right? His driveway was a big hill? If it's the same guy, he didn't advertise it as an X50, I think I'd remember that and I didn't check the option codes. I probably would have bought it had I known
This guy kept his car at him mother's home in Queen Anne County; might be a different car. This guy didn't know it was a x50, nor did he advertise it as one. Happy I got it.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:29 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Maybe. The guy I met with told me he flew either 747's or 777's I can't remember which. He also owned a high performance acrobatic plane. Ring a bell?

Old 10-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by deckman
Maybe. The guy I met with told me he flew either 747's or 777's I can't remember which. He also owned a high performance acrobatic plane. Ring a bell?
Sounds like the same guy to me.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:28 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tpup
There is no difference between the 01 and 02 Turbo chassis; that is only the non-turbos. The turbo chassis was developed after the non-turbo and was stiffer by design. That design was applied to the non-turbo's in 02. Look it up in the Porsche technical docs, the part number for the chassis is the same for both years.
I'm not saying who's right or wrong, because I don't know myself, but this is routinely debated back and forth. FWIW, Excellence Magazine, in their buyer's guide description of Porsche Turbos, mentions the same thing as sunir:

"For 2002, a number of changes were made in the sill, roof frame, seat pans, and tunnel to improve the flexural and torsional strength by 25 percent."

-Excellence Magazine, Oct 2011, p. 118, section "2001-present: The water-cooled Turbos"

Old 10-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
I'm not saying who's right or wrong, because I don't know myself, but this is routinely debated back and forth. FWIW, Excellence Magazine, in their buyer's guide description of Porsche Turbos, mentions the same thing as sunir:

"For 2002, a number of changes were made in the sill, roof frame, seat pans, and tunnel to improve the flexural and torsional strength by 25 percent."

-Excellence Magazine, Oct 2011, p. 118, section "2001-present: The water-cooled Turbos"
I've seen that as well. The source for my comments is Porsche's own tech docs, specifically the parts catalog used in ever dealership. It shows no difference between the 01 and 02 chassis (in terms of part number). By contrast it clearly shows that for the non-turbos.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:07 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
I've seen that as well. The source for my comments is Porsche's own tech docs, specifically the parts catalog used in ever dealership. It shows no difference between the 01 and 02 chassis (in terms of part number). By contrast it clearly shows that for the non-turbos.
I'm surprised one can find P/Ns for things like "seat pans" or "roof frame" at a dealership. Regardless, since Excellence doesn't elaborate, there's no way of knowing what the "number of changes" they refer to consists of, or if P/Ns would've actually changed with the (alleged) newly implemented design considerations. Who knows, it could be something as simple as weld placements, increased gauge metal, and/or optimizing bends/creases in the metal to gain the rigidity they sought.

I wouldn't expect Excellence to just make up information out of thin air, but nevertheless they're not infallible either. And so, this debate rages on in perpetuity...

Old 10-15-2011, 09:22 AM
turtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really nice
I just got a trade number on mine from a Porsche deal. I have an 01 TT with 6K miles on it; concours winner. I'm the original owner, the car is perfect with all service records etc. Wanted to trade on a new turbo cab. They offered me $32K.
Ill buy IT!!.....wait i have one already.

Last edited by turtle n hare; 10-15-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm surprised one can find P/Ns for things like "seat pans" or "roof frame" at a dealership. Regardless, since Excellence doesn't elaborate, there's no way of knowing what the "number of changes" they refer to consists of, or if P/Ns would've actually changed with the (alleged) newly implemented design considerations. Who knows, it could be something as simple as weld placements, increased gauge metal, and/or optimizing bends/creases in the metal to gain the rigidity they sought.

I wouldn't expect Excellence to just make up information out of thin air, but nevertheless they're not infallible either. And so, this debate rages on in perpetuity...
Actually, I might be wrong...first time of course... I read the service manual today and it appears that there are additional bits installed in the chassis starting in 2002. These bits look like they may be the reinforcements to the chassis, the chassis itself is the same. This would also explain why the 02 cars are heavier than the 01s. I've never understood why Bose and a glovebox would add so much weight. I'll keep reading and post an update...

Old 10-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Actually, I might be wrong...first time of course... I read the service manual today and it appears that there are additional bits installed in the chassis starting in 2002. These bits look like they may be the reinforcements to the chassis, the chassis itself is the same. This would also explain why the 02 cars are heavier than the 01s. I've never understood why Bose and a glovebox would add so much weight. I'll keep reading and post an update...
I've often thought about this myself, so welcome all of the additional information you guys are sharing (as I've read the Excellence published materials before). Another thing to keep in mind is that the 2001 TT models have the heavier front bumperettes and the solid spoke wheels, so if the 2002s are heavier we must also account for the weight loss that comes from ditching the bumperettes and going to the hollow spoke factory wheels.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:38 PM
vincefaro is on a distinguished road
I just got a trade number on mine from a Porsche deal. I have an 01 TT with 6K miles on it; concours winner. I'm the original owner, the car is perfect with all service records etc. Wanted to trade on a new turbo cab. They offered me $32K.
Let me know if you want to sell your car. I have been looking for a low mile 996tt. let me know.

Chris

Old 10-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Sparks1 is on a distinguished road
If you decide to sell privately there would be many interested buyers. Including me!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT pricing - has the bleeding stopped yet?