996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Going back to the strip, hope to do better than last time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:44 PM
FlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant future
Going back to the strip, hope to do better than last time

So earlier this year i went to a private drag day and took the Porsche. I hadnt had the car very long so was very timid on the launches and shifts, therefore, my times sucked... as you can see here

this time out, the weather HAS to be cooler, and hopefully the track prep is top-notch.
But also, i have added a couple things since then. EVOMS IC and V-flow intake and WMI. Also got a 5-gal of MS109 that i will throw in, although i dont have a specefic tune for it. hoping to get some help from the DME. and i will be on NEW NITTO INVO street tires, as opposed to my worn down PS2 i had on earlier this year. I know they arent a super grippy tire, but i hope for sub-2.0 60' times and i have become more comfortable with shifting etc...

so assuming i can drive it halfway decent, and with my best *V-box* 0-60 being 3.6, and 60-130 being 7.7, what do you guys figure for me?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Mid 11's easily.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:21 AM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Make sure you pressure test before you go... Your traps should be higher.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
your 0-60 in 3.6 is OK. it's bascially a 1.9-2.0 on the strip. on my 1.84 60' my 0-60 was 3.3. Invos will also help, they are a really nice tire in wide fittment and get good grip. however i am not sure why you are only trapping 120mph, that is wayyy to low for A28s. you should be up in the 128 range. something is wrong, boost leaks, tune issues .... etc. i wouldnt even go to the track until things are figured out. also the 7.7 60-130 is a tad slow for A28s too since they are perfect for 60-130 due to spoolup and re-spool.

i would start with a pressure test and make sure everything holds boost, otherwise you are overworking the turbos alot to make the needed boost.

another side note is dont use MS109 + Meth if your car is not tuned for it. its waste and may actually slow you down. if you have tune for it - then its a different story.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 11-30-2011, 09:27 AM
FlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
Mid 11's easily.
U suggest pressure testing at one turbo and cap the other?

Old 11-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by prodigymb
your 0-60 in 3.6 is OK. it's bascially a 1.9-2.0 on the strip. on my 1.84 60' my 0-60 was 3.3. Invos will also help, they are a really nice tire in wide fittment and get good grip. however i am not sure why you are only trapping 120mph, that is wayyy to low for A28s. you should be up in the 128 range. something is wrong, boost leaks, tune issues .... etc. i wouldnt even go to the track until things are figured out. also the 7.7 60-130 is a tad slow for A28s too since they are perfect for 60-130 due to spoolup and re-spool.

i would start with a pressure test and make sure everything holds boost, otherwise you are overworking the turbos alot to make the needed boost.

another side note is dont use MS109 + Meth if your car is not tuned for it. its waste and may actually slow you down. if you have tune for it - then its a different story.
I figured 7.7 on 91-octane was actually decent, but I completely defer to those of you that know better. I will try to get boost leak tested today.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Blue Beast TT is infamous around these partsBlue Beast TT is infamous around these parts
Give Marksi a call over at 911tuning.com. He can set you up with a boost test. He can actually send you his kit. I had 2 smoke tests done on my car and they both came back as no leaks at my normal shop. I then had some work done with an ECU flash and exhaust with 911tuning.com After a little bit of time with Markski, we found the DV's leaking along with the OEM gasket from the throttle body with his boost pressure test. The smoke test will find the majority of the leaks but most shops dont pressurize the smoke to be above 8 PSI. (at least that is what my shop said). We are running higher PSI than that, so the test should be what you are running or higher to make sure you are holding boost. The thread is below. You may need to copy and paste it. Good luck and enjoy the car!

Boost leaks-how to find them... pics inside.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cs-inside.html

Old 11-30-2011, 10:46 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
If everything checks out ok, I am going to predict low 11s at 126-127!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FlyingGuy
I figured 7.7 on 91-octane was actually decent, but I completely defer to those of you that know better. I will try to get boost leak tested today.
Dont take my 60-130 advice as the advice- as I am not the guru in that area. Mike B can tell you what your car should be able to do.

Can you post your full power mods list, boost level ?

Has the car been retuned for 91+meth ?

Have you ever done any logs?

What I can tell you for sure is 120-122 is low. I was getting that trap speed on K24s and some even achieve it on K16s. Trap MPH is a good indicator of how much power the car is making and if you are trapping the same as stock turbo cars with A28s then the power is not there. A28s spool so quick and move a lot of air early on in the powerband that can often "cover up" small boost leaks, with larger turbos like 30s I am able to feel difference in spool and dditional lag in low RPMs whenever there are leaks.

Best advice I can give you is don't make predictions, check your car over for potential issues such as boost leaks - just go out there and have fun with it and see what you/your car can do.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |

Last edited by Mark @ AIM Performance; 11-30-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:50 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,You have to work on those 60' times..If you bring those down it will only multiply to noticeably better ETs,all things being equal...Maybe practice those 60' blasts where you feel safe before you go to the track??..Also try playing with your air pressures.....Good Luck..

Old 11-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Beast TT
Give Marksi a call over at 911tuning.com
i actually did that as I was walking around Harbor Freight looking for the proper tool to test my wastegates while im at it. He was great at helping, as always. Its amazing how you can not have spent a dime with a guy, and they will g out of their way to help you out as Markski and Todd K have done with me!

Originally Posted by prodigymb
Can you post your full power mods list, boost level ?
A28s, 60# injectors, FVD inlet pipes, EVOMS v-flow with hitachi, EVOMS IC, WMI, Milltek catless exhaust, GT2RS rear LSD

Has the car been retuned for 91+meth ?
No, i am still running an old GIAC/EVOMS tuning setup (previous owners old setup) that has not been tweaked for any of my current upgrades. I have no doubt that the tune is far from ideal currently, seeing as how it was an OTS type of tune from a few years ago. Thats why i will be getting completely new tuning after the first of the year (per agreement with the wife)
Have you ever done any logs?
Nope, thats gotta be next on the list. Gunna do the pressure test at the shop friday. double check everything.
What I can tell you for sure is 120-122 is low.
i was shifting like a granny. i only had the car for a month and was by no means "rowing" thru gears... maybe that has some to do with it?
Best advice I can give you is don't make predictions, check your car over for potential issues such as boost leaks - just go out there and have fun with it and see what you/your car can do.
thanx! assuming all checks out, ill chalk up the numbers to driver and tune, and go have fun with what i have until i can have Todd K retune my setup!

thanx all

Last edited by FlyingGuy; 11-30-2011 at 11:55 PM.