996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Moton durability question..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:23 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Moton durability question..

I drive my car about 50/50 street and track (about 3K miles per year) and thinking about upgrading the suspension on my Rturbo. I've run both the H&R coilover and the PSS9/RUF suspension but I'm thinking about going to MOTONs as it seems like they are the best thing since sliced bread. I know MOTON makes a great product but what about the reliability and durability? It's been suggested to me that MOTONs will require frequent rebuilds which is not something I want to do. Also, I noticed that the MOTON shocks do not utilize any kind of dust boot that would protect the shock/piston from dust and moisture. Seems like an important feature to leave out, no? Finally, anyone have any experience with the NON-Reservoir MOTONs? They make them in a 1 or 2 way adjustable variety and seem like a quality product plus you don't have to worry about the hoses and reservoirs leaking or having to mess with charging up the gas canisers. Quality wise they should be on par with the Club sports minus the adjustability of the gas pressure. These are the ones I'm interested in (I think they're also called Street Sports) and were promoted by GMG a while back but I haven't seen anyone using them. Here is the link to them:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...reservoir.html

I've seen them at motonsuspension.com at around $2800 for the 1 ways and $3900 and change for the 2 ways plus a couple of hundred for the springs. Money is not the issue but I'm not even sure I would want the 2 way adjustables but rather the 1 way for ease of set up. I don't even know where I would start with setting up the 2 ways, compression first, then rebound, or change both together? I am by no means a suspension guru and I like the idea of a high quality shock along with ease of set up - turn the know and both compression / rebound are adjusted in concert. Also what spring rates for the 996tt for 50/50 street and track. Somewhere around 400F/650R? Keep the responses coming....

Last edited by pwdrhound; 12-02-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:34 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I've had Moton Clubsports on my car for over 2 years and never had any problems with them, the canisters even hold pressure over the winter. I have a 450/700 spring package and like it, although some prefer 600/800 or higher. Even with my relatively soft package it can be very rough over torn up city streets, but great on track or the highway. I had PSS9's previously and they were too softly sprung for the track IMO.

For your information, Moton was recently sold, to AST I believe.

Last edited by landjet; 12-03-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:07 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
I've had Moton Clubsports on my car for over 2 years and never had any problems with them, the canisters even hold pressure over the winter. I have a 450/700 spring package and like it, although some prefer 600/800 or higher. Even with my relatively soft package it can be very rough over torn up city streets, but great on track or the highway. I had PSS9's previously and they were too softly sprung for the track IMO.

Larry,
Do your clubsports come with the protective dust boots to shield the pistons and shocks from the elements? I'm just curious as every other coilover I've had has those but it doesn't appear to come on the MOTONs, at least not in the pictures I've seen. Is 450/700 about as soft as you would run on these for a street car that sees about 10 DEs per year? That's still a bunch more than the PSS9s. Finally, do you adjust these when you go from track to street or do you just leave it alone once set? If you adjust, do mainly change the compression, or just the rebound, or both together? Thanks....

Old 12-03-2011, 11:04 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound

Larry,
Do your clubsports come with the protective dust boots to shield the pistons and shocks from the elements? I'm just curious as every other coilover I've had has those but it doesn't appear to come on the MOTONs, at least not in the pictures I've seen. Is 450/700 about as soft as you would run on these for a street car that sees about 10 DEs per year? That's still a bunch more than the PSS9s. Finally, do you adjust these when you go from track to street or do you just leave it alone once set? If you adjust, do mainly change the compression, or just the rebound, or both together? Thanks....
I have one suggestion for you in regards to adjustable suspension. If you are not extremely familiar with adjusting and setting up a suspension I would pay somebody to help you with it. And have them set the dampener settings for street and track so you will know how many clicks to adjust to based on intended use. Suspension setup is not something you can fumble around with and figure out without it effecting your track times. I mean no offense nor do I know your suspension aptitude so I am not trying to offend you.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
You definitely want 2 ways for the track. The shocks will be perfect for the track and when you soften them theyll actually ride softer than pss9's on the street. Can't praise them enough. I've had one moton shock redone on my 993 and the cost to do was minimal. They're quite durable ime. Good luck!

Old 12-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by VAGscum
I have one suggestion for you in regards to adjustable suspension. If you are not extremely familiar with adjusting and setting up a suspension I would pay somebody to help you with it. And have them set the dampener settings for street and track so you will know how many clicks to adjust to based on intended use. Suspension setup is not something you can fumble around with and figure out without it effecting your track times. I mean no offense nor do I know your suspension aptitude so I am not trying to offend you.
No offense taken. It's just that many times the so called "experts" aren't quite the experts you want them to be as people often times seem to over estimate their abilities when it comes to suspension tuning among other things. I was looking more for recommendations from those familiar with this particular suspension and their approach to changing the setting and their effects.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Acropora
You definitely want 2 ways for the track. The shocks will be perfect for the track and when you soften them theyll actually ride softer than pss9's on the street. Can't praise them enough. I've had one moton shock redone on my 993 and the cost to do was minimal. They're quite durable ime. Good luck!
Do you know what spring rates you have as those obviously have an impact on the streetability? In other words, if your springs are overly stiff than it will make little difference how soft you set the shocks. Also, when you are changing the setting from street to track are you adjusting both the compression and rebound by the same amount or are you just changing the compression or rebound to firm up or soften the ride. thx....

Old 12-03-2011, 02:26 PM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Do you know what spring rates you have as those obviously have an impact on the streetability? In other words, if your springs are overly stiff than it will make little difference how soft you set the shocks. Also, when you are changing the setting from street to track are you adjusting both the compression and rebound by the same amount or are you just changing the compression or rebound to firm up or soften the ride. thx....
I've found that the dampening characteristics of the shock has more impact on the ride quality than spring rates. In particular, a set of shocks with aggressive high speed compression dampening will feel jarring and choppy. In one of my cars I actually got better ride comfort despite doubling the spring rates because the high speed compression could be adjusted lower than the previous shocks I was using.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by spf4000
I've found that the dampening characteristics of the shock has more impact on the ride quality than spring rates. In particular, a set of shocks with aggressive high speed compression dampening will feel jarring and choppy. In one of my cars I actually got better ride comfort despite doubling the spring rates because the high speed compression could be adjusted lower than the previous shocks I was using.
Makes sense. I'm also trying to see how guys are adjusting these to go from hard to soft. Are they mainly adjusting just compression or compression and rebound together by the same number of clicks? No one seems to want to answer that questions which leads me to believe that most people don't fool with the setting once adjusted...or it's some sort of a secret...

Old 12-04-2011, 12:02 AM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Makes sense. I'm also trying to see how guys are adjusting these to go from hard to soft. Are they mainly adjusting just compression or compression and rebound together by the same number of clicks? No one seems to want to answer that questions which leads me to believe that most people don't fool with the setting once adjusted...or it's some sort of a secret...
It's more because it's a tricky question to answer. A resolution for one car will not necessarily work on another.

When you have a multiadjustable setup, you really have to take it to a place where you can test out different settings like the track to dial it in.

Take a look at this. It's a great source of info for what to adjust to make the car change its handling characteristics.

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/th...hocktune1.html

But my advice is to change one setting at a time so you have an easier time figuring out what did what.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:07 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Not only is each car's set-up different, but each driver has his own set-up preference. Even an expert can only give you a baseline, you will have to tweak it to your own style. I bought a set of sway bars from the shop of an ex-grande am Porsche driver. He told me how to set them up and I did as he said. I hated the way the car felt and changed them to what felt good to me.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Not only is each car's set-up different, but each driver has his own set-up preference. Even an expert can only give you a baseline, you will have to tweak it to your own style. I bought a set of sway bars from the shop of an ex-grande am Porsche driver. He told me how to set them up and I did as he said. I hated the way the car felt and changed them to what felt good to me.
Exactly, I agree Larry. Just because someone is a so called "expert" doesn't mean that you are going to like their set up. You have to go with what feels good to you. I was just wondering if most people generally leave the settings alone or keep changing them from street to track, etc. I understand each case is different however no one seems to provide an answer to that question. For example, in your particular case, do you change you compression / rebound setting when you go from street to track and if so what are your compression and rebound settings on the club sports for street and track? Just looking for a starting point reference as I am planning the same rates (450/700) that you have. Thanks....

Old 12-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Motons are a great damper and work fine on the street.

I have had them on our GT2 since 2004 with no issues.

Just like anything else that is used on track they are NOT maintenance free nor should you expect maintenance free service of any damper.

In terms of set up we have done dozens of these cars in various configurations and have been selling, servicing and developing Motons for a decade.
However each car is different and one can only get you a entry level set up.
In order to obtain a proper "baseline" and dial in the car 100% you will need some data logging, shock pots etc... Is this over kill for a weekend fun car? Maybe but if you want to go fast and really set the car up its what needs to be done.

The good thing about the Moton damper is the tune ability and relative ease of making changes that can be felt.

Feel free to drop me a line and I will be happy to advise of what components are needed for your intended use.

Depending on where you are I can recommend a shop that can install the components and set the car up properly so you aren't fighting the car at the track and on the road.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Will do, thans for the info....

Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
Motons are a great damper and work fine on the street.

I have had them on our GT2 since 2004 with no issues.

Just like anything else that is used on track they are NOT maintenance free nor should you expect maintenance free service of any damper.

In terms of set up we have done dozens of these cars in various configurations and have been selling, servicing and developing Motons for a decade.
However each car is different and one can only get you a entry level set up.
In order to obtain a proper "baseline" and dial in the car 100% you will need some data logging, shock pots etc... Is this over kill for a weekend fun car? Maybe but if you want to go fast and really set the car up its what needs to be done.

The good thing about the Moton damper is the tune ability and relative ease of making changes that can be felt.

Feel free to drop me a line and I will be happy to advise of what components are needed for your intended use.

Depending on where you are I can recommend a shop that can install the components and set the car up properly so you aren't fighting the car at the track and on the road.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:00 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
I am installing Moton's (MCS) in my 996 GT2 in the next ten days or so, as soon as all the components come in. Piper Motorsports in Sterling, Virginia is going to do the work. I will let you know how it goes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Moton durability question..