996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

alpha 28's vs alpha 30's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:44 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bad107
why would this matter?
Kinda obvious: chicktronic=K16-24 powa, 6speed=alpha 3076 powa.

Last edited by PAULIEWALNUTS; 12-06-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:09 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bad107
why would this matter?
A tip can not take as much power,bigger turbo, as a stick,,,plus the a stick could handle a little more lag with the bigger turbo

Old 12-06-2011, 06:26 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ek9max
How much more power would the alpha30's be? same mods...
That's a good question! I dont know the exact answer because most people dont put A30s on a lightly modded car such as you are proposing. The A3071s are very close to the A28s so if I was going bigger I would go all the way to the A3076s.
What I am pretty sure of is that with equivalent supporting mods A3076s will make more peak power than A28s but will make that power further up in the rpm band. This does not guarantee that the A30 car will be faster than the A28 car because performance is more closely related to area under the curve rather than peak numbers. Also the area under the curve has much more impact on the subjective street-ability of the car. A car which has a broad power curve is generally more pleasing to drive on the street than a more powerful peaky car.

Also if you want to max out available power of the A3076 most would recommend you strengthen the engine internals. Whereas with the A28s you can pretty much max them out on a stock block as long as you dont let the boost hit too hard.
IOW, I recommend A28s for your situation, but some may say I am biased! LOL!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:40 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MBailey
That's a good question! I dont know the exact answer because most people dont put A30s on a lightly modded car such as you are proposing. The A3071s are very close to the A28s so if I was going bigger I would go all the way to the A3076s.
What I am pretty sure of is that with equivalent supporting mods A3076s will make more peak power than A28s but will make that power further up in the rpm band. This does not guarantee that the A30 car will be faster than the A28 car because performance is more closely related to area under the curve rather than peak numbers. Also the area under the curve has much more impact on the subjective street-ability of the car. A car which has a broad power curve is generally more pleasing to drive on the street than a more powerful peaky car.

Also if you want to max out available power of the A3076 most would recommend you strengthen the engine internals. Whereas with the A28s you can pretty much max them out on a stock block as long as you dont let the boost hit too hard.
IOW, I recommend A28s for your situation, but some may say I am biased! LOL!
Thank you for the detailed input! Are the alpha3071 reall ythat laggy compared to the alpha28?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:58 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ek9max
Are the alpha3071 reall ythat laggy compared to the alpha28?
No, I dont think they are a lot more laggy than the 28s but I dont think they offer enough advantage on the top end. I dont feel like you should try to compromise in this area.
IOW, if you feel you want the top end advantage of a GT30 go with the big daddy 3076. If you want ultimate low lag street setup with good top end pull go with the A28s.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:09 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Unless you're specifically building a freeway pull or standing mile car, the bigger question is which turbos make the best power in 1st through 3rd transitioning on and off the throttle.

Dyno numbers can be misleading on turbo cars. When was the last time you punched it in 4th gear @ 2,000 RPM and rode it all the way up to redline?

The answer of course are the A28s. It's simply the best street turbo for our cars. 24/18g is a great budget compromise, especially if you already have K24s.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 12-07-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:19 AM
Ms4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond repute
Last year I was in a similar situation. I ended up with 30-71's and I regret my decision. You will be power hungry down the road so I recommend at least going with 30-71's. (I may have some for sale...)

Keep in mind my engine is built but as far as I was told the stock internals can take up to 700RWHP and you will not get there with the 28's. My setup has full spull identical to K-16s if not earlier so the 30-71's will be a great choice.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:48 AM
edelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond repute
Go with the 30 s . You will love em . Let jake spec them for you . He has helped me with the last 2 sets and i was very happy.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
I dont think you can MAX out the A28s on stock block. Those bad boys have a lot in them and stock block just isnt going to take the low end power for very long.

As far a putting 30s on mildly modded car - its doable and you will obviously make more power then 28s with same mods. I ran my first 30s with stock intercoolers, injectors, tune and exhaust.

Now for my Alpha3076s I have a bit more suporting mods and working on few others but they do spool very very quick. 1.55bar at like 4.5k rpm

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Hmmmm..... so I guses i have to decide between A28 vs A3076.....

Since I'm running pump gas only, would a the 3076 be a better choice, as I can make more power on lower boost?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
30rs with good intercoolers ( no not the cheap ones from the dealer lol) , injectors, intake to turbos , open exhaust, ebc for boost control per gas... good tune that can get them to spool up a little... and there is absolutely no way boost for a smaller turbo will keep up...
A 28s will get out sooner out of the hole... sure... but once in the 30r range its another story... however, stock mafs do not like sometimes that much power... that's where after market maf solutions come handy... with the intake above ICs I bet I can come on as fast as a A28 without it.. but what do I know lol
here .... this is fun...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 12-07-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:54 PM
What aftermarket mad options are out there that combo us with a tune? Do you have a hitachi/tune option for alpha 3076?

Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
From my understanding there are two... we use the blow thru and then there is the Hitachi that is from Evoms... we tune both...

click to view

Old 12-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Cost on the blow through?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
Take a look at the kit.. what it includes and all the options... its actually a complete new Y pipe with the maf, maf housing and a proprietary tuning tube along with the two side pipes that replace the oem hoses... then the intake above ICs... all of it can be power coated too... usually we connect it to our own 4.5" intercoolers via 2.5" piping... but we can retro fit for OEM style ends... however we need to place the DVs on the intercoolers and there is no place on plastic OEM ICs... thus there is more to it then a blow thru maf... its actually a complete re design of the of the pre and post turbo piping system as well...

http://www.911tuning.com/996-Turbo/I...nsor-p-77.html

click to view

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: alpha 28's vs alpha 30's