996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Camshaft Deviation Angles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:01 AM
cingaro is on a distinguished road
The camshaft deviation angle is still in the order of -5.7°. I doubt that the timing is correctly set. The actual reading is fluctuating.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Those guides are not worn out. The chain plates wear grooves in the material until the chain rollers contact the material. A bit more material can wear away then the guide material just lasts and lasts and last as the chain rollers are rolling on the guide material.

There is no IMS bearing per se in the Turbo Metzer engine. There is a layshaft which runs in plain bearings and which is gear driven by the crankshaft and the layshaft in turn drives the cams via chains.

The bolts holding the gear tight to the layshaft can come loose. There is a drive key that keeps the gear from spinning on the shaft and keeps the gear from putting the bolts in sheer. This key has been known to work loose, fail, and this can have the bolts failing soon after.

If any of the above are going on, and I'm not saying they are, this needs to be id'd immediately and dealt with.

As I mentioned in an earlier post the error code points to the problem. A VarioCam solenoid (or actuator) is failing. What can happen is the solenoid fails in such a way it repeatedly activates/deactivates the actuator. Over time this can wear out the actuator. I think this is what happened in the case of my Boxster. Not only is the other bank's solenoid still just fine so too is the actuator. Currently the egnine has just over 300K miles on it.

And this intermittent failure of the solenoid could very well explain what you are seeing.

But this is a diagnosis that should be made by a tech. However, based on what you have posed, it reads like your tech is not capable of making the diagnosis.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:34 AM
I drive a regular Carrera 4 996 2000 which in not equipped with a Metzer engine. So I expect a IMS Bearing.

What do you say to the high fluctuation of the cam sensor signal?
Do you know what's the tolerance on the cam deviation angel?
Is the cam deviation angle 0 when the timing is set correctly? Or lead tolerances in the system to a offset in the order of multiple degrees?

Thanks a lot for your professional support. I was never in contact with a guy which had as much knowledge on the subject as you.

Meanwhile I think about celling the car.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:04 AM
camshaft deviation

hi
The cause is found.
The hydraulic bock below the solenoid on bonk was not performing the full strock. Due to that the chain between inlet and outlet cam was no tight and the camangle fluctuated. The timing was initaly set correct.

lesson learned:
a flucuatig cam angle reading may indicate a not proper working hydraulic actuator.

Old 04-26-2023, 06:12 PM
Pepe Moro is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, Im writting from Lima - Peru
This is my first Thread
I have a 92A 2011 Cayenne 4.8 Turbo

Yesterday a read the Camshaft Values with the Autel MaxiSys Ms906BT and this is what it Showed, i'm not sure if the are in spec or if they are not, if so, what would could the problem ?, worn Tensioner, guide or streched chain?
Thank You.
and sorry for mi english.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:57 AM
Rapid-911 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you are better off posting in the Cayenne section. I had a look and seems pretty active.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rbo-186-2.html

Originally Posted by Pepe Moro
This is my first Thread

Yesterday a read the Camshaft Values with the Autel MaxiSys Ms906BT and this is what it Showed, i'm not sure if the are in spec or if they are not, if so, what would could the problem ?, worn Tensioner, guide or streched chain?
Thank You.

Old 11-11-2023, 12:11 PM
Rahul Singh Dobal is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Pepe Moro
This is my first Thread

Thank You.
hi, did you find solution?