996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

LWFW Rattle - Videos Wanted Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 02:43 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
LWFW Rattle - Videos Wanted Please

I've been reading about LWFWs recently

One of the main things that gets mentioned is the sound
The second being how the engine revs faster

With that in mind, has anybody got, or could provide video of their LWFW so I can see what the sound and pick-up is like?

Thanks

Old 12-31-2011, 03:28 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=winnigt2;3413675]If you ASK about the Noise....forget it, with Ac on Plus hot conditions very noisy

Old 12-31-2011, 04:21 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Mine rattles like crazy. Its pretty annoying. But that's the price we pay.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:28 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
I think it depends on the setup.

I just had my clutch done with the UMW kit and smfw.

The noise is barely perceptible. You'll hear it most on neutral (sometimes) or in 2nd gear and low rpms.

The sound is like a Ducati clutch x .1, so 1/10as loud. Not bad,especially if you have a loud exhaust!!

Old 12-31-2011, 04:33 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Mine's not that bad. Only when tranny is warm and in neutral with clutch out. And a little noise at low RPMs under load - as in taking off...

Old 12-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Ajs76 will become famous soon enough
Mine came that way and I absolutely hate it. It's not the sound at idle for me. I hear about faster spool and blah blah blah, but when it makes this gear lashing sound around 2k in 2nd and 3rd gear I just get annoyed. Makes the car sound broken.

To keep you from making what I consider a mistake (since you're asking about noise) I will try to get you a video of it tomorrow, though I have no idea how to upload a video.

Driving in traffic is a pretty awful experience and you just feel bad for the clutch. To avoid the gear lash, you have to rev it to like 3k (gently) before shifting, but with other traffic around...blah.

Highly not recommended unless you are a racer/weekend warrior. I definitely have been taking the 335i for the day to day stuff because of it.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:35 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, what clutch and lwfw you have? Sounds awful!!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by ttpopo
Wow, what clutch and lwfw you have? Sounds awful!!
That's the problem. Got it used so I have no clue. I'm starting to adjust but the first week was rough

Old 01-01-2012, 09:25 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ajs76
That's the problem. Got it used so I have no clue. I'm starting to adjust but the first week was rough
something doesn't *sound* right! it's THAT bad?? wow. i wish i still had my 335i as backup, but having to drive it because the tt rattles loudly!? that would suck.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:47 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Might try changing the tranny oil and switch to the Devlac (a little thicker)

Old 01-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Here's someone else's impression who had the same problem OP:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...wfw-noise.html

Old 01-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Alright. I got some videos for you.

So one of the vids is just revving in neutral to show you how quickly it responds to like half throttle stabs.

The other video TRIES to capture the sound. To be honest, it's kind of tough because my camera phone doesn't get the sound all that well. It occurs between like 1800-2000 rpm or so.

I'm pretty used to people arguing "don't lug the engine", but honestly, 1800 rpm happens pretty easily in 3rd gear under normal driving in traffic or even 2nd gear. So the LWFW will absoultely change how you drive and when you shift. Just be prepared for that.

Sorry the vid isn't great, but that's as good as it will get. Listen REALLY carefully and you should hear it. It is incredibly apparent if you are driving the car and your passengers will probably ask you if something is broken. So just shift later and less frequently to avoid it.

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/132996579...e8bd921e2c562b

Old 01-02-2012, 06:07 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
if you already ask about noise from a lwfw.....you better dont go for it...it is pure track drivers sound and give you a lot of driveability and responce at low gears ...but you pay for it with transmissions noises at daily driving... range from idle till 2000rpm

i have only experience at gt2 with lwfw and guess its a little bit better in a 996tt

Last edited by winnigt2; 01-02-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by Ajs76
Alright. I got some videos for you.

So one of the vids is just revving in neutral to show you how quickly it responds to like half throttle stabs.

The other video TRIES to capture the sound. To be honest, it's kind of tough because my camera phone doesn't get the sound all that well. It occurs between like 1800-2000 rpm or so.

I'm pretty used to people arguing "don't lug the engine", but honestly, 1800 rpm happens pretty easily in 3rd gear under normal driving in traffic or even 2nd gear. So the LWFW will absoultely change how you drive and when you shift. Just be prepared for that.

Sorry the vid isn't great, but that's as good as it will get. Listen REALLY carefully and you should hear it. It is incredibly apparent if you are driving the car and your passengers will probably ask you if something is broken. So just shift later and less frequently to avoid it.

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/132996579...e8bd921e2c562b

Your low RPM noise is a lot worse than mine. I usually only get a second of it when I change to 2nd gear. I have an AASCO aluminum LWFW and a CM Stage 3 PP/disc

Old 01-02-2012, 08:51 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
I have the UMW setup also and my car sounds like dump truck in neutral... however I will say that I love the setup and would purchase it again! LOL.... depends what your using the car for, if its performance that you want its a small price to pay.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LWFW Rattle - Videos Wanted Please