996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Sound deadening project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:19 AM
bullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud ofbullittandy has much to be proud of
Sound deadening project

I've been systemically addressing rattles and squeaks in my 2002 TT. Last weekend I installed Dynamat, fibergalss insulation and expanding foam (a pillar and roof pillar) on the roof and wrapped all of the contact points for headliner attachments with felt.

This weekend is driver's door which received dynamat and expanding foam inside the door near hinges. I also put foam between door and speaker pod. I used the minimally expanding foam that stays flexible (for doors).

On the door panel I sprayed the back of the door panel with a sealant from Eastwood. This didnt work out as planned because the sealant was plain old undercoating and smells. I've got the door panel "baking" in a bathroom with a space heater to get rid of smell.

Door slam sounds new-even without door panel installed.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:40 AM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I generally love all the sounds my car makes, except those that it shouldn't make

Old 01-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I spent a day covering the whole inside of the car with Dynamat one Saturday. Took it out for a drive after and couldn't even tell the difference. Porsche does a pretty good job from the factory.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:37 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
thinking of using that dynomat in the rear seat area and under the rear speaker box to try to muffle out some of the exhaust drone...

Old 01-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Yep, that's what I thought... You know the floor covering in back is about an inch thick rubber - the Dynamat didn't make a difference.