996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help-limp mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:49 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
Just bought a pressure test kit from Marski so it will be put to good use.
What is in the pressure test kit exactly? And how much was it?

Old 04-02-2012, 02:13 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heavychevy
What is in the pressure test kit exactly? And how much was it?
Pictured is the kit I got from Markski. Very high quality and works very well. The two items with the clamps plug each turbo. The coupling in the back is for pressure testing from the TB.

Also on his webpage

http://911tuning.com/996-Turbo/Misce...ter-p-127.html

Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2012, 02:45 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Minus the clamps seen in the

picture. I received much different clamps, they seemed to work fine.

Originally Posted by TurboTodd
Pictured is the kit I got from Markski. Very high quality and works very well. The two items with the clamps plug each turbo. The coupling in the back is for pressure testing from the TB.

Also on his webpage

Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
How much boost are you running Larry? 93 oct? Any chance of running out of fuel or getting knock?

Old 04-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Simi_996 will become famous soon enoughSimi_996 will become famous soon enough
Knock would only retard timing and a failed knock sensor would throw a code (which would require resetting for it to resume normal boosting).

Going off of VR4Henry's line of thinking, did your data logger show adequate fuel delivery? Maybe you have that fuel pump problem that many cars experience?

Old 04-04-2012, 11:50 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I hadn't used my datalogger in so long I forgot how it worked while at the track and couldn't get it to boot up. Figured it out once I got home but by then the event was over, so no fueling data to report, but agree that could be the problem. Would that throw a code?

I have an appointment for Friday to have the codes read with a Porsche tool.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
I hadn't used my datalogger in so long I forgot how it worked while at the track and couldn't get it to boot up. Figured it out once I got home but by then the event was over, so no fueling data to report, but agree that could be the problem. Would that throw a code?

Maybe not. For example, if the fuel line is split inside the tank, you just won't be able to feed the motor under boost. You'll see high duty cycles, but maybe no codes. I'm thinking that a boost leak is more likely. Hope it's minor. Good luck, and let us know how it comes out.

Jon

Old 04-04-2012, 01:41 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute

Larry a quick check, I had the same feel of limp mode at the track last year - no cell lights, checked underneath and this is what I found.

Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Thanks for the picture, I'll add that to the list of things to check.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:30 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Holy Crap that is beautiful! My home depot special is not looking so good now......

Originally Posted by TurboTodd

Also on his webpage

Old 04-08-2012, 11:01 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT
Good luck Landjet, this crap always gets sorted.

F1 car lookin good!
Thank you. For some odd reason i have a feeling we have met at the track maybe 5 years ago.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Had the codes read and what it showed was a momentary noncommunication between the ECU and ABS which put the car into limp mode. I thought it might be a loose connector or some wiring disturbance from when the transmission was removed over the winter, but my tech seems to think it may have been a piece of rubber{marbles} that got into an ABS sensor. Either way the car re-set itself after being in the garage for a couple of days. Boost was back after starting the car to go to have the codes read. We will completely go over the car when I go in for a tech inspection next week.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Glad it's back, but it might almost be better to have found a fault somewhere. Hope it doesn't come back!

Jon

Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 AM
You and me both. I don't know how people can be satisfied with a non-boosted car, I love the feel of the sling shot.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 AM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
I had heard if you get all 4 wheels up, the ABS/ECU will freak out... any chance of that Larry? Actually, does anyone know if that's real?? Hah.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help-limp mode