996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT Used - good idea or money pit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Dcreed10 will become famous soon enoughDcreed10 will become famous soon enough
The 2001 MY appeals to people because of it's low price point, but Porsche made some big changes from 2001 to 2002 hence why there is a big price difference. They changed the chassis and stiffened it by 25%. The front end looks different too. But as far as reliability goes... depends on the car. If you don't want to be fixing a lot of little stuff then don't buy a low mileage example. These cars like to be driven and don't like to sit. They do much better when driven often. Mine was funny a few years ago... I would put it in the garage and not drive it for a week or two and I would find a drop or two of coolant. Start driveing it daily and the coolant leak would stop. If I put it back to rest for awhile, I would find the coolant leak again. I bought my car from a guy that never drove it, and so when I got it, of course I started driving the wheels off of it... and of course a sitting car is not a happy car so I instantly started having drips and sounds, etc... I ended up replacing just about every common 996TT problem area... clutch accumulator, power steering mechanism, coolant lines on top of motor, hard coolant line connectors coming off the engine case, rear wing hydraulic cylinders, window regulators, sunroof, etc... but after all those fixes and driving it more often than not, it's been super reliable. When people say these are reliable super cars, they are, the motors are phenomenal, you most likely will not ever have an issue with the motor... it's everything else. But the car will most likely never leave you stranded, unless the coolant line mod hasn't been done. And then it's just a matter of time. You will have a few small repairs here and there but for the most part its never the motor its always the other systems... clutch, power steering, brakes, coolant lines, A/C , etc...

Old 04-07-2012, 03:44 PM
JTB
JTB will become famous soon enoughJTB will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Dcreed10
The 2001 MY appeals to people because of it's low price point, but Porsche made some big changes from 2001 to 2002 hence why there is a big price difference. They changed the chassis and stiffened it by 25%. The front end looks different too.
Aside from the addition of a glove box, the changes are actually negligible. As far as styling, the only visual queue was the very early 2001s had the bumperettes (rare). Most 2001s also had the solid spoke wheels. As far as chassis stiffness, this is a myth. There were changes to the base 911, but not to the turbo, that stiffened the chassis

If you are referencing the Excellence article, it is incorrect. Their pricing is also way optimistic IMHO, and not real world. Don't fixate on MY, but rather buy a good example.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:51 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
Well, engine replacement is not unsual for a 911. And for a 100k+ miles car i think its a must. I just wondering how the chassis and other components can last.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JTB
As far as chassis stiffness, this is a myth. There were changes to the base 911, but not to the turbo, that stiffened the chassis.

If you are referencing the Excellence article, it is incorrect.
Definitively stating that the chassis stiffness issue is a "myth" is, IMHO, incorrect. To this day, we do not seem to have a clear answer on it.

See this thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...opped-yet.html

Starting with post #33, where he claimed exactly as you are, and then particular emphasis on post #42 from the same knowledgeable and resourceful member, Tpup.

Unfortunately, he didn't elaborate on #42 after further investigation, but the initial research seemed to suggest that the stiffness-change claims might have some merit.

What we seem to know at this point:

-2001 turbos are meaningfully lighter than 2002+.
-chassis P/N's are the same for all MYs
-2002+ appear to have "additional bits" installed in the chassis as reinforcements that 2001 do not have.

Those factors all seem to reinforce (no pun intended) the Excellence comments' accuracy.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:21 AM
996TTFred is on a distinguished road
Purchased my '01 in Feb. of 2010 and still enjoy every drive. I put about 3500 miles on the 911 a year and I just crossed 84K. I have done some mods like ECU flash, Fabspeed exhaust, adaptive sport seats and the Turbo came with several as well. All in all a great reliable car that I thoroughly enjoy.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:14 AM
JTB
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Definitively stating that the chassis stiffness issue is a "myth" is, IMHO, incorrect. To this day, we do not seem to have a clear answer on it.

See this thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...opped-yet.html

Starting with post #33, where he claimed exactly as you are, and then particular emphasis on post #42 from the same knowledgeable and resourceful member, Tpup.

Unfortunately, he didn't elaborate on #42 after further investigation, but the initial research seemed to suggest that the stiffness-change claims might have some merit.

What we seem to know at this point:

-2001 turbos are meaningfully lighter than 2002+.
-chassis P/N's are the same for all MYs
-2002+ appear to have "additional bits" installed in the chassis as reinforcements that 2001 do not have.

Those factors all seem to reinforce (no pun intended) the Excellence comments' accuracy.
I actually agree. I researched it a little further after my post, and although I remember finding better information last time, I could find nothing definitive. Blinded by optimism of a 2001 owner

Here is another reference for the sake of entertainment:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...6-turbo-2.html

Old 04-09-2012, 01:48 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mikegr
Well, engine replacement is not unsual for a 911. And for a 100k+ miles car i think its a must. I just wondering how the chassis and other components can last.
Excuse me? 100K engine swap is a must? Have you been drinking too much tequila lately? There is a member with 300K miles on this board. 911T engines properly maintained will easily hit 350K miles (even with stage1 flash).

Old 04-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Terminator
Excuse me? 100K engine swap is a must? Have you been drinking too much tequila lately? There is a member with 300K miles on this board. 911T engines properly maintained will easily hit 350K miles (even with stage1 flash).
I dont know how cars are being treated in the US but in other places things are different. There is NO WAY for example a clutch set can last more than 60K miles, sometimes even 50% less. Doing most of your mileage in city traffic, kills these engines. Nobody here would buy a car with 80K or more miles without a new or rebuilted engine.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
I dont know how cars are being treated in the US but in other places things are different. There is NO WAY for example a clutch set can last more than 60K miles, sometimes even 50% less. Doing most of your mileage in city traffic, kills these engines. Nobody here would buy a car with 80K or more miles without a new or rebuilted engine.
Where are you from? Jupiter? I guess gravity really sucks the life out of engines there?

996 turbo engines are bullet proof! I have two friends whose cars are on 180K miles and 150K miles respectively. Cars are not using up any oil, not smoking at start up and running superbly. Compression leak test showed no wear! Go to rennlist and look up high mileage 996TT cars thread. T2 member’s turbo is on 318K miles. Running strong! He must be an idiot for not changing his engine at least three times by now as preventative maintenance.

As far as the clutch wear is concerned anyone who kills the clutch at 30K miles can’t drive or is seriously abusing his car (stock or flash stage 1 that is – 750bhp cars excluded). My car’s OEM clutch with flash (530bhp) lasted me 80K miles - hard driving. Now I have reinforced one (medium) in and I will let you know when it gives up. However, I have a feeling you will have a long wait for that report.

100K miles on our cars many consider "just well run in!"

Having said this, without a proper required scheduled maintenance track record (engine wise - oil/air filter and oil changes) I would walk away from any turbo.

Last edited by Terminator; 04-09-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 AM
certainly ppi and book service required. Any other special parts except the engine that i have to take a closer look?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:59 AM
certainly ppi and book service required. Any other special parts except the engine that i have to take a closer look?
At 120K miles, I would check for any driveshaft noises, gearbox main shaft bearing being quite a common issue. Also, listen for whining from the front diff and check clutch accumulator. Any CEL codes are usually bad coils or MAF. Check for obvious leaks, coolant (radiator areas - take fron bumper off and inspect rads) and that’s about it. Not to forget, look for any concealed crash damage – in such case – walk away!

Old 04-09-2012, 02:02 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Been out of town for a few days and haven't been able to read up on all the updates.

In the meantime, just a random question: does anyone know if a rear facing car seat fits in the back of a 996? My guess would be 'no' but just curious

Old 04-09-2012, 02:34 PM
JTB
I waited until my little one was forward facing in a booster seat. There are those that have done the rear facing. It is, however, a compromise as the passenger seat needs to come so far forwards it makes it uncomfortable, if not dangerous.

Here is a useful thread. I personally went with the referenced Combi. It works very well and actually fits.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...names-etc.html

Good luck,

Old 04-09-2012, 04:08 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Cool! Thanks! Actually surprised to hear there is one that fits! I would have no problem waiting till I can use the forward facing seat. I actually thought I'd have to wait years until I no longer need a car seat at all.

Originally Posted by JTB
I waited until my little one was forward facing in a booster seat. There are those that have done the rear facing. It is, however, a compromise as the passenger seat needs to come so far forwards it makes it uncomfortable, if not dangerous.

Here is a useful thread. I personally went with the referenced Combi. It works very well and actually fits.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...names-etc.html

Good luck,