996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any reasonable/affordable way to turn off rear O2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:49 PM
m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !
From experience do you guys notice if that the post cat 02s trip the cel light that it will also trip the pre cat 02s? After I went cat less I got codes for all 4 02 sensors...

Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 PM
regrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the rough
These worked well with my Cargraphic, but my cats are just "wearing", they arent ripped out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1182

Old 04-14-2012, 03:08 PM
m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by regrossman
These worked well with my Cargraphic, but my cats are just "wearing", they arent ripped out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1182
I just bought that and it solved all my problems. I was getting code for all 4 02 sensors. As soon as I installed them and disconnected the battery the CEL went away and the car felt much stronger.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Cool

Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by m3ntal
I just bought that and it solved all my problems. I was getting code for all 4 02 sensors. As soon as I installed them and disconnected the battery the CEL went away and the car felt much stronger.
How man miles have you put on it since you have installe dthe 02 spacers? Also what tune do you currently have?

Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I appreciate all the additional feedback guys. As it turns out, I will certainly pursue lengthening the O2 sensor extensions since it really does sound like that will do the trick for my case.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Try the O2 spacers above. They are a cheap and easy install. If they work you're way ahead of flashing the ECU to ignore the seconds set of O2's

Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 AM
regrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the rough
Mine have been on for 3000 miles with no issues so the spacers I referenced above should solve your issue.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 AM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
The reason why i ask is because it seems they work well on some cars adn not so well on others. I installed them on a infinity g35 with headers test pipes and a tune, and they cam back on within days while a mk4 gti 1.8t i installed them on stayed off and even passed MA state inspection

this is what i used

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=2009

Old 09-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
anyone got a set of 02 extensions for sale?

Old 09-18-2013, 02:13 PM
bmwtmx has a spectacular aura aboutbmwtmx has a spectacular aura about
I went through this before and it was a NIGHTMARE. A certain "tuner" who is very active in Rennlist was hired to tune my car and turn OFF the rear O2 sensors. While he swore he did, he didn't. I had a few rants over this, sued him (I won but how do you collect from a loser?), and eventually went with a Speedtech exhaust which I love.

I tried a few of these patches but none worked. I spent a lot of money on this. If only that certain tuner (Ungrateful Moron Wh%$e!) would have just said "I didn't turn off the sensors!" I am sure a solution could have been found....

Old 09-18-2013, 03:05 PM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
I remember in the old days we use to buy spark plugs non foulers to use as O2 extenders. if we needed a smaller opening just a spot of weld on the tip to change the flow patterns.
I would encourage those doing this to make sure your O2 sensors aren't bad or going bad. All O2 sensors get lazy with age (considering the amount of heat they are subjected to) and will be slow in responding with reading to the DME. If you have durametric, you can monitor your sensor response time, if there is one that is slower than the other with a big enough margin you will throw a code. Sometimes the code will be thrown on the side that response faster which is often the better of the two.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:47 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
MA laws changed, they have to clear all the readiness then if it immediately goes into ready mode without having to go through a drive cycle they know someone has messed with the ECU, my previous tune turned off the o2 sensors but i failed inspection this year because the MA testing procedure had changed

im having o2 extenders installed right now which will hopefully solve the problem i have a speedtech exhaust and got the extenders from john at speedtech, they were cheap and are very nicely made

Old 10-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by buzzm
MA laws changed, they have to clear all the readiness then if it immediately goes into ready mode without having to go through a drive cycle they know someone has messed with the ECU, my previous tune turned off the o2 sensors but i failed inspection this year because the MA testing procedure had changed

im having o2 extenders installed right now which will hopefully solve the problem i have a speedtech exhaust and got the extenders from john at speedtech, they were cheap and are very nicely made
That will work, that is if they don't do a visual., GL.!!!

Old 10-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sonny
That will work, that is if they don't do a visual., GL.!!!
Just a note of caution. California also has a visual inspection which most shops ignored until recently. However a recent sting operation by the state has cause most smog stations to do the visual. Most stations are nice enough look at your exhaust upfront to let you know if you pass the visual or not prior to conducting the test. However a few have become overly diligent and run the test and then report your car failed the visual exam to the state smog agency. Then you screwed and have to return everything to stock to get it to pass. The State can fine you for making the illegal modification but so far I have not heard of anyone getting hit with this.