996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Numeric Racing Short Shifter Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
for anyone that has this shifter installed, im curious about the cross shifts 2-3 and 4-5

can you now push the shifter in a 45* angle and grab that next gear with your hand on top of the shifter. or is it still the same put your hand on the side of shifter move forward, right and forward again. To get that shift ?

anyone else notice the cables chattering making alot of noise like Steve mentioned above?
I have the numeric and it doesn't require any side movement at all to make the shift. its a more front to back sharply and smoothly and it moves slightly to the side by itself engaging crisply every time. oem cables on mine

for me the biggest improvement in shifting this car was replacing the shift **** with a round 997 unit. the oblong shape of the oem always had my hand slipping off the ****. with the 997 ball its a perfect fit for me

Old 02-06-2014, 05:18 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
I have the numeric and it doesn't require any side movement at all to make the shift. its a more front to back sharply and smoothly and it moves slightly to the side by itself engaging crisply every time. oem cables on mine

for me the biggest improvement in shifting this car was replacing the shift **** with a round 997 unit. the oblong shape of the oem always had my hand slipping off the ****. with the 997 ball its a perfect fit for me
sweet drive on down to H-town and let me row some gears in it krazy

Old 04-11-2014, 08:38 PM
brichacek will become famous soon enoughbrichacek will become famous soon enough
Just to add to this thread, I've been using the numeric racing shifter now for about six months along with their cup car equivalent racing cables. Absolutely love the setup. Takes a bit of getting used to initially, but wouldn't go back to stock for anything. My only complaint is that I think my carbon fiber shift **** cracked because of the greater force required to use it. I just had a brand new shift **** installed six months ago at that time, and it is significantly cracked in two places. I have a bunch of other carbon pieces in my car which are all fine, so this is my best guess as to the cause.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:22 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
Bri, are you getting chatter from the cables at lower rpms ? was it literally a plug and play ? my installment required modifying my actual transmission...

the cables are so loud that Tim is taking them off for me (probably) next week. My transmission has to come out AND be taken apart to reverse what we had to do in order to get the cable to fit.

just to confirm, you have a turbo right? are you on a dual mass flywheel or LWFW ?

Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 PM
brichacek will become famous soon enoughbrichacek will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
Bri, are you getting chatter from the cables at lower rpms ? was it literally a plug and play ? my installment required modifying my actual transmission...

the cables are so loud that Tim is taking them off for me (probably) next week. My transmission has to come out AND be taken apart to reverse what we had to do in order to get the cable to fit.

just to confirm, you have a turbo right? are you on a dual mass flywheel or LWFW ?
Yes, the cables are quite loud. I wouldn't say they are unbearable, but definitely significantly louder from stock. I had just the shifter on first with the stock cables and that was louder, but when I added the Numeric cables it was significantly louder. I installed the shifter myself, I had the guys at the Porsche dealership install the cables. It took them two hours, they said it was straightforward. Definitely no modifications to the transmission.

Are you sure you have the rubber gromets on the end pieces of the shifter cables? I've heard some people complain about theirs being unbearably loud, because they didn't have these rubber pieces on them.

I have a 996 turbo with a stock flywheel. I hear that having the LWFW can make things very loud as well

Old 04-12-2014, 07:36 AM
Cowtown10 has a spectacular aura aboutCowtown10 has a spectacular aura about
I finally installed my Numeric SSK yesterday.
By no means am I a mechanic but installing this was easier than changing the oil. The most time consuming part of the entire install was taking apart and re-assembling the center console. (Heres a tip, recline the passenger seat all the way back to easily remove the console once you have figured out where are the torx screws are)
The numeric shifter drops right into place, cables pop right on and bolt it to the floor, couldn't be easier.
The difference is absolutely night and day, I went with the middle position and the throw is unbelievably short and precise. I have noticed that my 2-3 shift does hang up before slotting in which makes me a little nervous about hitting 1st by accident in hard shifting but I think that is more me than the shifter and after a few more drives It won't be a problem.
Long story short...buy this shifter, once you see the quality compared to stock and other SSK kits you'll be glad you spent the money
Do it once do it right!

Old 04-12-2014, 08:15 AM
samx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to beholdsamx is a splendid one to behold
I can't believe it's been nearly two years since I wrote this review.

In that thine, I've really come to appreciate how nice this shifter is. I've had the opportunities of driving a few other cars, both with and without short shift kits and this remains the best out there as far as I'm concerned.

I never did move it off of the shortest throw setting. It just felt right, so I guess I never felt the need to change it.

Some of the early issues that I had adapting to the new shifter are completely gone. Shifting is a little difficult on colder days as the car is coming up to temperature, but after a few minutes everything is smooth as butter. I'm sure that's more of a function of the transmission than the shifter.

All in all I'd say that this is still one of the best mods you can do, even for the money that it commands. The reason I say that is that is that mods like power adders and suspension upgrades really only get "used" some of the time while driving. A short shift kit will always be used during any kind if driving. You are constantly connected to it and it makes the whole experience of driving just that much more engaging. Something that is definitely getting engineered out of the newer generation of cars.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:18 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
I just installed one in my RT12. My Ruf already came with upgraded cables from the factory but, ironically, still had a standard 997 shifter. I always felt the shifting action was better than a standard 997(TT) (which I attribute to the cables), but not as good as a GT3, 997(TT) with an SSK or even my own Boxster Spyder (which I attribute to the shifter itself). Well, this setup trumps them all!
This setup truly feels as though the shifter is attached to the transmission via rod and not cables. While not cheap, it's definitely worth it as it adds an extra dimension of tactile enjoyment to the driving experience.

Last edited by medici78; 04-14-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Former Vendor
Numeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond reputeNumeric Racing has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you guys! We are very pleased to hear your reviews. We are continually working on new ways to increase product durability and efficiency along with new products. We appreciate all input. Thank you!

Also, I have Numeric stickers 7" x 2" with our logo to all customers that would like one. Send me a PM.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:41 PM
biobanker is on a distinguished road
A few days ago one of the bearings in my Numeric disintegrated, due to no fault of Numeric (probably a faulty bearing). The shifter worked but was very floppy on one side.

I bought the shifter used and after a single email to Numeric asking what I should do, they sent me some replacements - FREE OF CHARGE - and Im thrilled that the best modification that Ive bought for any car, ever, is working 100% again.

All is right in the world again!

Thanks for the awesome product support Numeric!

Old 10-07-2014, 08:58 AM
carwash is a jewel in the roughcarwash is a jewel in the roughcarwash is a jewel in the rough
Ok, i'm very strongly considering buying this shifter... and after reading these reviews I am almost sold on it. I have no concerns about sound, etc, and my car is so damn loud now that it is maddening. I do have concerns about the one guy here that says he had clutch chatter with this setup. This makes no sense to me as this thing is not connected to your clutch at all, but I would love to hear feedback from people that are using this shifter as well as Numeric's cables... I'm about to pull the trigger, any reason I shouldn't?

Old 10-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by carwash
Ok, i'm very strongly considering buying this shifter... and after reading these reviews I am almost sold on it. I have no concerns about sound, etc, and my car is so damn loud now that it is maddening. I do have concerns about the one guy here that says he had clutch chatter with this setup. This makes no sense to me as this thing is not connected to your clutch at all, but I would love to hear feedback from people that are using this shifter as well as Numeric's cables... I'm about to pull the trigger, any reason I shouldn't?
The shifter has zero impact on the engagement of the clutch.

Honestly the Numeric was transformative in the way the car shifts. I would rate this mod as the most impactful thing I've done to the car. I would encourage you strongly to consider it.

Chris.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:15 PM
carwash is a jewel in the roughcarwash is a jewel in the roughcarwash is a jewel in the rough
I pulled the trigger today. Shifter is ordered. will ship next week with cables. Thx for the info!

Old 10-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by carwash
I pulled the trigger today. Shifter is ordered. will ship next week with cables. Thx for the info!
Awesome. The shifter will blow you away. It's one of those things that you'll wish you can see it but it's completely obscured by the console and handle/boot.

Chris.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:23 PM
It's truly a work of art.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing Short Shifter Review