996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Build Time - It all started with this.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:30 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Build Time - It all started with this.

As some of you know I have not been driving my car around this summer partially due to family responsibility. But the other is due to a Rod knock I had heard. Yes i beat my car I'm sorry.. its not a Garage Queen

So i decided to rebuild it, I was going to do Head studs and rods just to freshen it up. Since i do drive it for Pleasure and fun at the Drag track I figured I would change that up and go at it a bit more. I sent the Engine out to Todd at Protomotive for a Full blown 1XXX package.
He is going to be doing the GT3 head Port, pistons, Rods, Headstuds, Cams and Whatever else he thinks i will need.
I am going to run MS109 or C16 so no E85 for me.
I have done the Dual 044 in tank pumps that Protomotive built and that should feed the 1000cc injectors very nicely.

Going to Run the 911 Turbos still and I have a set of Turbos that Todd recommend to me as well so i can do some testing.

Protomotive has been eager to have it completed right away and i commend them for their promptness. Summer here in Toronto doesn’t last forever so I would love to say it will be ready in 4-6 weeks.

So i sat down and said yesterday since the Transmission is out why not do it as well.

So Autowerks here is going to contact Guard and we will upgrade it as well, I always say do it 1 time.. Sometimes..

Will post pics as I have them and show some progress but i figured we are all one family here and I don’t mind sharing info.

Number 3 rod

Old 06-08-2012, 08:40 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Hey Corey!
I can barely see that your rod is bent. How much knock could you hear? IE how loud was it?
BTW, have you checked your PM lately?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
how much power were you making before?

Originally Posted by MBailey
Hey Corey!
I can barely see that your rod is bent. How much knock could you hear? IE how loud was it?
Mike - that is bent ALOT for a rod, curves to the left. I've seen worse but good thing he caught it before it popped.

Thing with rod knock is sometimes you need a new crank and even crank cases and not just bearings.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |

Last edited by Mark @ AIM Performance; 06-08-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
I could hear it knock under load but it was hard to hear. I thought it was Clutch at first, then Knock but after a while it was getting louder. not to say very loud but present.

I checked my PM's just now..

Hey Corey!

Last edited by UrbanHotrod; 06-08-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:59 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Congrats on the build!!

Looking forward to hearing and seeing it happen!

Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Congrats on the build!!

Looking forward to hearing and seeing it happen!
thanks Mike. Will post up as the World turns ..

Originally Posted by prodigymb
how much power were you making before?

Mike - that is bent ALOT for a rod, curves to the left. I've seen worse but good thing he caught it before it popped.

Thing with rod knock is sometimes you need a new crank and even crank cases and not just bearings.
i was making 724 at 1.5 bar but hit 750tq at 1.3, but have pushed the car to 1.8+ when i ran my buddy's Z06 from a dig.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Corey , i cant wait to hear more and see this thing run..

Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
1.6 is the max (according to Todd K.) and that is w/ C 16.

Good luck on the build. I PMed you Brian Copans contact info, as he has an excellent rep for transmissions.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
Wow, sounds like you're going to have a fantastic car. Good luck with the build, can't wait to hear what you think of it when you get it back.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:52 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Wow thats a pretty involved build. I will be looking forward to the outcome. Im curious to know how much power do you think you were making at 1.8 bar?

Old 06-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by unvmy996
Corey , i cant wait to hear more and see this thing run..
Thanks. Me to

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
1.6 is the max (according to Todd K.) and that is w/ C 16.

Good luck on the build. I PMed you Brian Copans contact info, as he has an excellent rep for transmissions.
not sure about 1.6, my readings were great at 1.8 and it was just from the pounding it bent.

Originally Posted by Superfly
Wow, sounds like you're going to have a fantastic car. Good luck with the build, can't wait to hear what you think of it when you get it back.

Thanks. Will let you know.

Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Wow thats a pretty involved build. I will be looking forward to the outcome. Im curious to know how much power do you think you were making at 1.8 bar?

i would say it was close to 800-820, I pulled a Z06 making 822 whp from a dig so i would say it making around that.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:06 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PALETTE

i would say it was close to 800-820, I pulled a Z06 making 822 whp from a dig so i would say it making around that.
Thats crazy they even stay together putting down those numbers. Especially at 3.6L....the 7.0L LS7 guys are afraid to break the 650whp mark for fear of breaking ****.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Good luck with the build. If I ever undertook such a project (which isn't likely) I would love to have a car with turbos and GT3 redline like Markski has. That just sounds like automotive nirvana.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:04 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Good Luck Corey...I told you that if you were tired of your money, you could send it my way...

Old 06-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
I have seen a few of those before... On number three if the bend is just so the rod bolt or nut will contact the oil pump. Sounds like you will have a killer on your hands.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Build Time - It all started with this.