996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Replace leaking turbo oil feed tube...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:55 PM
boyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really nice
Unhappy Replace leaking turbo oil feed tube...

After swapping the turbo last week, we have found the oil feed tube upper the turbos have to be replace, but since the stock one is hard to take out especially on the left hand side, we decided to make a pair of steel brake line type to replace the stock pair...

My question is, they are not leaking right now, but the tube size is around 30% larger than the original one, will it flood or making less oil pressure to the turbo? Or I should at least stick to the stock tube size, or I should go back to use the factory stock one? Thanks.

Last edited by boyg; 06-11-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Dont sweat it. I use -4 lines with a spring loaded check valves. But you are right to think more oil will fill the turbo when the motor is shut off. Just let is idle down for a minute or two to let the scavenging pump to catch up.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:31 PM
boyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really nice
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Dont sweat it. I use -4 lines with a spring loaded check valves. But you are right to think more oil will fill the turbo when the motor is shut off. Just let is idle down for a minute or two to let the scavenging pump to catch up.
Thanks for advising, are you using aftermarket\custom made one? On K16? If the custom made one are actually fine, why peoples bother to swap the stock pair which may have to drop the engine?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:12 AM
Old 06-12-2012, 07:18 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by boyg
Too bad I didn't know about this kit!!!! In the add they mention K16 but the hose looks really long....I just replace both sides with OEM ones and there was an update part# for these lines....last digits -73 instead of -72...

Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by jpflip
Too bad I didn't know about this kit!!!! In the add they mention K16 but the hose looks really long....I just replace both sides with OEM ones and there was an update part# for these lines....last digits -73 instead of -72...
The oem one seriousily takes too much effort to replace, this kit is nice if its fit. But my concern is, is 4an too large compare with the oem tube size...

Old 06-12-2012, 10:24 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Smoke on start can be due to a failure of the check valves on the turbo oil feed lines. Because my engine was removed for coolant pipes welding, I've decided to inspect those check valves. This line was completely seized on both side. Heating it red hot and cooling it fast, release oil etc nothing works. The fitting was completely seised on the line, not the check valves. I could not remove them without damaging them. I like your kit and I immediately went in my garage to measure the old ones to see if they were M12 X 1.5 mm and realized I probably throw them in the garbage. Sorry. May be Tim can help us with that....

Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by jpflip
Smoke on start can be due to a failure of the check valves on the turbo oil feed lines. Because my engine was removed for coolant pipes welding, I've decided to inspect those check valves. This line was completely seized on both side. Heating it red hot and cooling it fast, release oil etc nothing works. The fitting was completely seised on the line, not the check valves. I could not remove them without damaging them. I like your kit and I immediately went in my garage to measure the old ones to see if they were M12 X 1.5 mm and realized I probably throw them in the garbage. Sorry. May be Tim can help us with that....
My case is a bit different, after we fit the custom made feed line, I found there are little bit oil under the oil container, the oil is leaking from the left hand side turbo, in between the hot side and cold side seal, since the feed line using is in the size of 5\16, I am figuring am I using a oversize feed line and flooding the turbo, attach is the oil found after a full day stop\go, start\off...

Attached Images