996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I'm getting 0 to .5 Bar on 01 turbo dash display

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 06:07 PM
03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future
OP, unless you are looking to drop $20-40k for a motor, please, please, please listen to the advise given to you in your several threads.

Recently I had a friend buy an 84 911 w/491 pkg. He wound up dropping $14k within the first mos. It really took the pleasure out of the car for him.

Several of the most respected folks have offered advise........TAKE IT........... or be prepared to document your rebuild for the forum.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:26 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Sorry - I shouldn't be so hard on you as you are a new owner.

Originally Posted by Edward Jones
In order of your questions:
1) How will you guarantee that you stay below 1 bar if you disable the boost control valve?

******I assume if there is no valve to shut waste gates there is no boost.
The waste gate is shut - you need control from N75 to open it.

2) Your leak is huge. Your turbos could make 1.2 bar or more if they weren't venting to the atmosphere.

*****all I've read says that a stock 996 turbo will make .7 boost tops
That 0.7 is limited by the ecu, not mechanically. Most flashes for the K16 stock turbos raise that to 1 bar.

3) Actually, you can vacuum test them. But it made no difference, correct? You are now just throwing parts at the car instead of diagnosing.

******its easier and cheaper and some fun too and i don't think a pro will find one simple problem anyway, especially since new N75 gets me to .6 bar. If I do tune will it allow me to adjust boost upwards?
Throwing parts at these cars can be an expensive proposition. Guess how I know that?

4) There are several threads here telling you how to build a boost leak tester from under $20. It won't find everything, but it will probably find your big leak to get started.

*******It seems I never had a big leak just a N75 issue for the most part
Not going to argue with you anymore. You'll figure it out eventually

5) OK, let me re-phrase: Stop asking questions if you are not going to pay any attention to the answers.

******I promise you I'm paying attention

Here is the thread I pointed you to already:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...o-oh-dear.html

This guy's shop left the N75 valve disconnected and blew up his motor. See the explanation in Posts #16-18.

********I will look at that for sure

If you STILL want to disconnect your N75 and go boost testing, bring your AAA card for the tow and your checkbook for the rebuild.

*****I do want to understand that
If you read that thread, you will understand.

Good luck,

Jon

Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Edward Jones can only hope to improve
yes, it seems some thought engine was programmed to cut out at 1.3 bar to avoid any damage and of course if I was testing without wastegate valve I'd watch computer display very closely. Thanks

Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 PM
mdd
mdd is on a distinguished road
Edward,
Based on your limited understanding of some of the basic functions of your car, I have a general question about how you are measuring the boost readings on your car.
Are the readings you have reported the boost values at WOT (big skinny pedal all the way to the floor for a few seconds) in 3rd or 4th gear at highway speeds? Or are you reading the boost number while casually driving around city streets at less than WOT?
All of the suggestions people are making assume that you are reporting the WOT boost values.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by mdd
Edward,
Based on your limited understanding of some of the basic functions of your car, I have a general question about how you are measuring the boost readings on your car.
Are the readings you have reported the boost values at WOT (big skinny pedal all the way to the floor for a few seconds) in 3rd or 4th gear at highway speeds? Or are you reading the boost number while casually driving around city streets at less than WOT?
All of the suggestions people are making assume that you are reporting the WOT boost values.
Changed diverter valves, nothing, changed n75 and getting. 6 bar at 5000 rpm regularily.May just go for tune from here. What do you recommend if anything. Thanks

Old 07-19-2012, 08:37 AM
mdd
mdd is on a distinguished road
I have no recommendations that have not already been proposed to you in this thread or on Rennlist.
The point of my post was to confirm that you are reading the boost gauge under the assumed conditions. WOT, in 3rd or 4th gear, and at around 5K RPM.
I haven't seen anything in your posts that confirms you are doing it this way.
If you are not checking boost under this condition, all of the suggestions provided are moot.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:37 AM
BOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to behold
Changed diverter valves, nothing, changed n75 and getting. 6 bar at 5000 rpm regularily.May just go for tune from here. What do you recommend if anything. Thanks
You better be sure you found your leak before getting a tune. Otherwise, you're just asking for trouble.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by BOOSTD
You better be sure you found your leak before getting a tune. Otherwise, you're just asking for trouble.
I figure if I'm getting .6 bar on stock turbo it cant be much of a leak if any. I plan to really push it tomorrow 0-60 to check HP, time, and bar. Before N75 it was 300HP and 6.5 seconds. I was afraid to read bar during road test.

If it's not much improved then I'll look for leaks again I guess. Had system pressurized to 10 lbs this morning but was losing all the pressure out of the oil filler cap.

What do I do? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 PM
BOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTD is a splendid one to behold
I figure if I'm getting .6 bar on stock turbo it cant be much of a leak if any. I plan to really push it tomorrow 0-60 to check HP, time, and bar. Before N75 it was 300HP and 6.5 seconds. I was afraid to read bar during road test.

If it's not much improved then I'll look for leaks again I guess. Had system pressurized to 10 lbs this morning but was losing all the pressure out of the oil filler cap.

What do I do? Thanks in advance for any help.
My advise is for you to pay someone to figure it out for you. The cost of having a reputable shop diagnose the issue is a small price to pay considering you don't really know much about these cars.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:54 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Man, take it in and have it smoke tested, it wont cost more than a few hundred $. It will be money well spent, even if there are only small leaks, or no leaks. Why have you not done that yet after so many people have urged you to do so? Good luck.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:33 AM
Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !
Bumped for a funny read.
I'm guessing the OP finally went WOT, scared the crap out of himself and moved on from turbo cars.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:03 PM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Clean your throttle body, clean the maf, check the air filter, do an e gas reset. All are free and should be done periodically anyway. All these can contribute to cars less than expected operation.