996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Short metallic sound on startup?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 04:57 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Short metallic sound on startup?

Took the car out for its first real drive including some fun mountain roads. Now, when I started the car, I heard a metallic sound that went away after a few seconds. Engine was cold and the car was parked on a relatively steep incline facing downhill.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Could it be oil starvation from being parked on an incline? I guess it could also be the turbos that have wear but I'm not sure how common that is?

2002 996TT, bone stock. Fresh oil and filter and the oil level is just one bar under maximum. Any ideas?

Old 06-24-2012, 04:59 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Could be from parking on a hill. I'm no expert thats for sure. Maybe try it again this evening on a flat surface...?

Old 06-24-2012, 05:06 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Could be from parking on a hill. I'm no expert thats for sure. Maybe try it again this evening on a flat surface...?
I started the car about twice after that. All normal. This morning when I started in the garage, nothing either. Maybe it's fine, not sure? Just seems kind of strange; is this the Porsche experience?

Old 06-24-2012, 05:10 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
there's no doubt, a strange oil starved kinda noise can occur if you park on a hill or incline. i heard it once recently and don't park like that any more. whatever wasn't being lubed for that millisecond, didn't like it either.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
there's no doubt, a strange oil starved kinda noise can occur if you park on a hill or incline. i heard it once recently and don't park like that any more. whatever wasn't being lubed for that millisecond, didn't like it either.
Hmm, that sucks. How about parking facing uphill? Not many options if I want to park in the area I often go to; it's a pretty steep road where you can only park on either side.

Car is a blast to drive btw! I'm actually impressed with the handling on stock suspension. I'll post some pics later too

Old 06-24-2012, 05:25 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
sorry, off topic kinda..i was just talking with a fellow tt owner the oher day talking stock vs modded and we agreed we all think our cars are fast ( stock ) until we mod, once you add that easily available 100hp all bets are off. although, it's all relative. having said that, if i had only ONE thing and one to improve it would at least be suspension by way of lowering springs. VERY cheap, and a significant ( really ) improvement. h&r's are like 350 a set!

my driveway when the noise occurred is very steep and turn in is sharp also. i used to get abs/psm cels until i stopped friggin parking and 3 pt backing out. i don't park on that incline any longer and no more noise. was a ghastly metal on metal noise ( oil STARVED ) sound. if we both had the same sonic experience. either way, not a good or normal sound, to be sure. try and park and store it flat. h&r springs will help ya stay flat too. kidding...

Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks! So, it sounds like that may very well be the issue then. Good thing is that the car is parked level in the garage at home. It's only when I take it out in the mountains that there is a very real chance I'll be parked on an incline.

I'm sure I'll get to suspension eventually . Won't you wear out the shocks quicker though if you use lowering springs? I have not researched anything about the suspension yet.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM
calfrank is infamous around these parts
Starter problem?

Sounds like a starter problem. The sound comes right after you crank the car by turning the key right? For like 2 sec and then it goes away? A metallic grinding sound from the starter gear? I would take the stater out, clean it and reinstall. If problem persists, its time to replace it.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by calfrank
Sounds like a starter problem. The sound comes right after you crank the car by turning the key right? For like 2 sec and then it goes away? A metallic grinding sound from the starter gear? I would take the stater out, clean it and reinstall. If problem persists, its time to replace it.
Thanks! Easy DIY? I have only had this occur once though. Wouldn't I hear it every time I start the car?

Old 06-25-2012, 11:34 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
Thanks! Easy DIY? I have only had this occur once though. Wouldn't I hear it every time I start the car?
No you wouldnt....sometimes the starter gear and flywheel teeth will line up just right and everything will go off w/o a hitch. Problem is the more the problem happens the worse the condition gets.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
I have the same. It's the starter. Where is the bugger? Easy DIY?

Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Would it make a difference when the engine is warm or cold? Is this harmful to any other parts besides the starter? This didn't come up in the PPI but I guess you would only be able to tell if you heard the noise.

I still want to hear it first on some "level ground" startups before doing anything but would be interested in learning about a DIY as well.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:46 PM
calfrank is infamous around these parts
Haven't searched for a DIY, but what i can tell you is that I had a new clutch kit installed 3 weeks ago, the starter was removed from the car as part of the clutch kit install. After the installation was complete, the grinding noise appeared which was never there before. 8 out of 10 times, the grinding noise was there. The shop told me they removed the starter, cleaned it and re-installed. Problem gone.

Last edited by calfrank; 06-25-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
Would it make a difference when the engine is warm or cold? Is this harmful to any other parts besides the starter? This didn't come up in the PPI but I guess you would only be able to tell if you heard the noise.

I still want to hear it first on some "level ground" startups before doing anything but would be interested in learning about a DIY as well.
No. You need to remove and lubricate the starter. I will be doing this next week. Hopefully someone will post DIY link.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks! Just want to get as much info as possible since I'm not sure if that is actually my problem. I will pay close attention each time I start the car (not that you can miss it).

Originally Posted by Terminator
No. You need to remove and lubricate the starter. I will be doing this next week. Hopefully someone will post DIY link.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Short metallic sound on startup?