996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine Compartment Purge Fan Delete.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:10 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Engine Compartment Purge Fan Delete.....

I have read every thread on the engine compartment fan I could find. What I have deduced is that Protomotive scrapped my fan so the blow thru MAF stuff would fit. I found another few people with this same issue. With the car now in Texas I feel I really need an engine compartment fan.
Question...I know the OEM fan will not fit...is there a nice Spawl type fan that I can just wire in and have it come on when the temp sensor dictates? Has anyone tried to use a heat gun set on low to trick the temp sensor so as not to have to sit there with the car running trying to diagnose fan issues? Do you think that Protomotive shut off the fan control all together in my tune since they deleted the fan?

Thanks again all!

something like this may work?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
we do not use the fans but you can relocate it to the left...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-05-2012, 11:57 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I didn't know so many cars ran without the fan. That's more weight I can takee outee.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:15 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
i would keep the fan.I have a similar type intake yet we installed an aftermarket fan(forget the brand)that was slimmer and made a bracket to use the existing mounting holes.Looks oem and works great

Old 07-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I am going to be readding mine again here soon when I finally get the shop going or go up to BL again. We originally designed my Y-Pipe and TiAL BOV's so it would clear but we made some changes once it got home to help with hose and clamps @ 36+ psi and it ended up making the Y-Pipe site higher and hit the fan. I took it off for temporary. I don't drive the car a TON, but in Texas I would def. use a SPAL on a different bracket. That was actually my plan since also part of the reason for it being removed was I was slamming my trunk over and over and never thought to look at the fan so needless to say I mangled my stock one's bracket LOL!

Old 07-05-2012, 01:55 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joetwint
i would keep the fan.I have a similar type intake yet we installed an aftermarket fan(forget the brand)that was slimmer and made a bracket to use the existing mounting holes.Looks oem and works great
Nice. Got any pics? Im thinking of doing the same thing. Some nice 1/8" aluminum flat stick...make some brackets bolt it in and wire it up. Im still waiting to hear back from Todd at Protomotive as to exactly how the tune would affect the operation of the fan.
Thanks for the input so far folks.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:23 PM
orbelo has much to be proud oforbelo has much to be proud oforbelo has much to be proud oforbelo has much to be proud oforbelo has much to be proud oforbelo has much to be proud oforbelo has much to be proud oforbelo has much to be proud of
Add about 15 small washers to each screw that hold the fan in place. This will lift the fan up from the Ford MAF and you can still use your stock fan. I am doing this with my Protomotive Setup.

Cheers Orbell-

Old 07-05-2012, 05:30 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Eh... I saw your car in European Car.. nice article

Old 07-08-2012, 04:16 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
I'm in cold gloomy England
My car is stock
My fan comes on all the time

If I were you I'd fit a fan

Old 07-08-2012, 09:20 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Eh... I saw your car in European Car.. nice article
hey thanks brutha!!

Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Nice. Got any pics? Im thinking of doing the same thing. Some nice 1/8" aluminum flat stick...make some brackets bolt it in and wire it up. Im still waiting to hear back from Todd at Protomotive as to exactly how the tune would affect the operation of the fan.
Thanks for the input so far folks.
yes no problem i will take one tomorrow and post it

Old 07-09-2012, 07:33 PM
here is the pic i promised

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
hey thanks brutha!!
What. Link to said article!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
we do not use the fans but you can relocate it to the left...
This^. Mine is located left now.

Last edited by BlackHorseTurbo; 07-09-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
What. Link to said article!
Check new thread

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Compartment Purge Fan Delete.....