996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Milltek Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:36 AM
don johnson is infamous around these partsdon johnson is infamous around these parts
Milltek Exhaust

All,

I was looking at an Europipe 2 quiet and it was simply too expensive. That said need some input from owners of Milltek 200 cell cat systems;

1. Will this system help performance comparable to Europipe? My car is an X50 with UMW tune.

2. Can I get away with 200 cell cats and expect a performance gain? Really want it quiet as possible.

3. We have a cabriolet and my wife drives a lot, it needs to be not much louder then stock. Will this system be OK?

Thanks much!

Last edited by don johnson; 07-18-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:07 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
I owned a Miltek. It was super quiet. I'm sure it is a bit more restrictive than the Europipe.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:05 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
I owned a Miltek. It was super quiet. I'm sure it is a bit more restrictive than the Europipe.
I think maybe a 200 cell one might be ?
I dont believe the 100 cell is though,many have made great HP with it.
Many tuners in the past swore by the 100 system and used it over the EuroPipe in the past before the wave of X-pipes..
I love my system even though it is a bit on the quite side for me but I do make very good HP/TQ with it on my package..But I am looking at a little louder X system for the future..

Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,You should drop Etchhead a PM,as he had that system also and compared it to a few others...

Old 07-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Johnspeed-
Yes Miltek is a great system and makes sweet power. Just a bit more aggressive in tone and has a nice idle. Nothing like my Speedtech and i wanted more of the GT3 sound especially at full attack.

Passed smog with ease and was a very good system. I bought mine used and sold it here on 6spd.

Good luck-

Old 07-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by don johnson
All,

I was looking at an Europipe 2 quiet and it was simply too expensive. That said need some input from owners of Milltek 200 cell cat systems;

1. Will this system help performance comparable to Europipe? My car is an X50 with UMW tune.

2. Can I get away with 200 cell cats and expect a performance gain? Really want it quiet as possible.

3. We have a cabriolet and my wife drives a lot, it needs to be not much louder then stock. Will this system be OK?

Thanks much!
Don,

I have used and/or tested most popular 200 cell cat 996TT exhaust systems on the market and they all are much more restrictive than 100 cell systems. I can feel the additional power, the improved throttle response and the quicker turbo spool of our 100 cell cat and would never want a 200 cell cat system on my personal car.

Also, every 200 cell system I have ever used/tested is louder and has more drone than our 100 cell X-cellerator 2.5 "quiet" system, due to our internal "X-Flow" design that offers superior sound attenuation combined with an incredible GT3-like exhaust note. IMO, you would be making a mistake buying any 200 cell cat system. Also, if you want it quiet and your wife will be driving the car and wants it quiet also, I honestly believe our 2.5 quiet is the best system you will find for those goals.

Over the years, I have seen many people "try" something, for whatever reason, only to email a month later and buy our 2.5 having made a poor choice the first time...check out our testimonials to see what I am talking about, a few customers tried 5 systems (mostly 200 cell cat systems) before finding our system and they all feel they are done searching now!

If you would like to discuss my experiences with various 200 cell cat systems, you can email or PM me and I will be happy to share.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 07-18-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:46 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I have had the MILTEK on my car since 2006 and really like the sound. It has gotten a bit louder over the years. This is common on many exhausts.

My recommendation to you is to listen to the exhaust on a car PRIOR to ANY purchase. Both the MILTEK and EP are good systems. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 AM
don johnson is infamous around these partsdon johnson is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Don,

I have used and/or tested most popular 200 cell cat 996TT exhaust systems on the market and they all are much more restrictive than 100 cell systems. I can feel the additional power, the improved throttle response and the quicker turbo spool of our 100 cell cat and would never want a 200 cell cat system on my personal car.

Also, every 200 cell system I have ever used/tested is louder and has more drone than our 100 cell X-cellerator 2.5 "quiet" system, due to our internal "X-Flow" design that offers superior sound attenuation combined with an incredible GT3-like exhaust note. IMO, you would be making a mistake buying any 200 cell cat system. Also, if you want it quiet and your wife will be driving the car and wants it quiet also, I honestly believe our 2.5 quiet is the best system you will find for those goals.

Over the years, I have seen many people "try" something, for whatever reason, only to email a month later and buy our 2.5 having made a poor choice the first time...check out our testimonials to see what I am talking about, a few customers tried 5 systems (mostly 200 cell cat systems) before finding our system and they all feel they are done searching now!

If you would like to discuss my experiences with various 200 cell cat systems, you can email or PM me and I will be happy to share.
Thanks for the input John!

I went on your website and you have some very nice products!

I took note you offer a 200 cell twin canister exhaust system that advertises substaintial power increases 10 to 40 peak which in my mind is substaintial. That said I am left wondering what is the power increase one can expect between 200 cell and 100 cell cats on a like system. In other words take that exact system and replace 200 for 100 cats, what is the difference in HP and turbo spool?

Thanks in aiding my decision making process!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Basic Sponsor
Chad@SpeedTech is just really niceChad@SpeedTech is just really niceChad@SpeedTech is just really niceChad@SpeedTech is just really nice
Thanks for the input John!

I went on your website and you have some very nice products!

I took note you offer a 200 cell twin canister exhaust system that advertises substaintial power increases 10 to 40 peak which in my mind is substaintial. That said I am left wondering what is the power increase one can expect between 200 cell and 100 cell cats on a like system. In other words take that exact system and replace 200 for 100 cats, what is the difference in HP and turbo spool?

Thanks in aiding my decision making process!

Hi Don. The system you are referring to is discontinued. We stopped selling them a while back as we introduced our X-flow systems for this application. We made the switch because everything in our X-flow system is better in our opinion, its lighter, has 100 cell cats for quicker spool and better performance, the design is modular (so you can easily adjust sound levels/performance levels as needed), you have your choice of tip style, sounds much more exotic and most importantly has virtually no drone. It was an easy decision once we developed this system to only offer the better of the two.

facebook
YouTube see our videos

Email-Chad@speedtechexhausts.com
Old 07-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Chad@SpeedTech
Hi Don. The system you are referring to is discontinued. We stopped selling them a while back as we introduced our X-flow systems for this application. We made the switch because everything in our X-flow system is better in our opinion, its lighter, has 100 cell cats for quicker spool and better performance, the design is modular (so you can easily adjust sound levels/performance levels as needed), you have your choice of tip style, sounds much more exotic and most importantly has virtually no drone. It was an easy decision once we developed this system to only offer the better of the two.
Gotcha and makes sense.

I still remain curious just how much better a 100 cell cat vs a 200 cell cat performs on a like exhaust. Do you have any actual results to help people like me make decisions.

Thanks again John!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Gotcha and makes sense.

I still remain curious just how much better a 100 cell cat vs a 200 cell cat performs on a like exhaust. Do you have any actual results to help people like me make decisions.

Thanks again John!
Hi Don,

I have done back to back driving tests going from 200 cell cats to 100 cell cats on the same car several times and I can tell you that the difference is immediately noticable and surprisingly dramatic in real life driving. The same car will feel choked and the throttle is less responsive when 200 cell cats are installed. When 100 cel cats are subsequently installed you can hear the turbos spool, the throttle response is crisper and the car feels much more alive and fresher. Standing starts are easier and stronger. That is how I would describe the difference and why I say I would never want 200 cell cats on my personal car - the 100's are a definite upgrade in performance all around.

From a power standpoint, our 200 cell system made very good power, as it was a 70mm design (2 3/4") design. The sound of our 200 cell system, although considered very good for the time, IMO, left something to be desired...Our newer X-cellerator internal X-Flow design provides better performance with the fantastic sound I had envisioned, truly the best of both worlds.

As Chad mentioned, the price difference between our original twin cannister system and our newer cross-flow design was minimal and the newer X-cellerator system is better and improved in every way. Now that we have made advancements in sound quality and performance, we discontinued the older 200 cell cat system because it had more drone than we like to offer and the 200 cell cats do not perform as well. From our perspective, it's outdated technology at this point and has been trumped by our modular designed, 100 cell cat, X-cellerator system.

Here is a picture I took of 300, 200 & 100 cell cats side by side - you can see how the 100 cell cat allows substantially more flow than the others - this translates to better performance. There is no way around it.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 07-19-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:22 AM
..100 cats by far..Been there done that.